Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 26, 12, 1:52 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Gold, IHG Platinum, UA Gold, National Rail Gold, ABP
Enhancement to US domestic lounge access?

Is it true that oneworld sapphire and emerald members may no longer access AA lounges when flying within the US? It was always the case for AA PLT and EXP, but new verbiage on oneworld.com appears to suggest it has been extended to all other carriers' members too.
Old Jul 26, 12, 2:03 pm   #2
Moderator: GLBT travelers

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BMI Gold, DL Silver
Wow. There it is:

American Airlines AAdvantage® members and oneworld top tier status holders, regardless of their tier status, cannot access lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Old Jul 26, 12, 2:27 pm   #3

Programs: CX MPO GO, Priority Club Plat
I really hope this will not be the case. At least the wording has not appeared in http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...sLocations.jsp (under "Definition") yet.
ernestnywang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:10 pm   #4

Programs: AA 2MM, UA Gld, SPG Plt+LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan (we have no status at all).
Does this impact non-AA OW top-tiers who are on international connections? If not, it seems to me to be designed to take away an incentive for a USA-based passenger to make a non-AA program his program of choice...
CO FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:12 pm   #5

Programs: A3 *G, FB ByeBye, BA Gold, SPG Gold, A Club Plat, Hilton Gold.
I'd imagine it's primarily to stop US based flyers enjoying unlimited lounge access by being a member of another FFP, when AA members have to pay.

However, I'd have thought the upgrades would have outweighed the lounge fees if you fly AA that much.

Sucks for the rest of us, though.
MAN Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:23 pm   #6
IMH

Programs: BA Silver, LH, AA, Accor Plat, CC & HH G, Meliá, IHG Plat Amb, Swissôtel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
Does this impact non-AA OW top-tiers who are on international connections?
No, it doesn't appear to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
If not, it seems to me to be designed to take away an incentive for a USA-based passenger to make a non-AA program his program of choice...
Precisely. Which makes it understandable. But it's still bad news for the many OW elites who take "domestic" flights during business and leisure trips to the USA. AA elites, meanwhile, can still use e.g. BA lounges in Europe.
IMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:54 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMH View Post
AA elites, meanwhile, can still use e.g. BA lounges in Europe.
But so can BA elites.

This change would simply make things more consistent. Previously BA elites could access a OW lounge AA elites could not, all other things being equal. That situation no longer exists.
Hyperacusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 3:59 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
But so can BA elites.

This change would simply make things more consistent. Previously BA elites could access a OW lounge AA elites could not, all other things being equal. That situation no longer exists.

Isn't the previous exception denying AA elites access to North American lounges on domestic itineraries the inconsistency in the Oneworld Lounge Policy? Does involving more customers in this inconsistency make things more consistent?

I thought that AA got revenue from other carrier elites using their lounges anyway. Except for the few Flagship lounges it would be hard for the cost of a few glasses of cheap plonk and a bowl of pretzels to make this a cost burden on AA
3544quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:24 pm   #9

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
Isn't the previous exception denying AA elites access to North American lounges on domestic itineraries the inconsistency in the Oneworld Lounge Policy? Does involving more customers in this inconsistency make things more consistent?
I know that this is how it is on SkyTeam at least. SkyTeam elites, regardless of tier, cannot access lounges on domestic itineraries. So in that sense, it would make things more consistent. I don't think it would be practical to simply allow all elites (including AA elites) in solely on domestic itineraries.

Anyhow, it looks like this may all be moot since the policy is not changing, as pointed out by HilFly in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html
Hyperacusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:24 pm   #10

This seems a lot like a case of poor proofreading by the oneworld web team. I think the sentence is supposed to say something like "AAdvantage members who have top-tier oneworld status...".

Such a drastic change would not have been announced through a footnote on the oneworld website. (And anyway, it makes no sense. AA makes plenty of revenue on oneworld elites' lounge access — why would they put a stop to it?)
jamespvg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:26 pm   #11
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Sounds like it could be a way for AA-BA to reduce their costs at the expense of customers' benefits acquired (previously) via a good degree of non-AA OW "loyalty" program participation. [If that turns out to be a done-deal, then that would seem like another "positive" of governments granting AA and BA antitrust immunity as much as has already been granted. ]

Thank you AA-BA if this is really a done deal.
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:35 pm   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
I know that this is how it is on SkyTeam at least. SkyTeam elites, regardless of tier, cannot access lounges on domestic itineraries. So in that sense, it would make things more consistent. I don't think it would be practical to simply allow all elites (including AA elites) in solely on domestic itineraries.

Anyhow, it looks like this may all be moot since the policy is not changing, as pointed out by HilFly in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html
All Skyteam ElitePlus are lounge access eligible (by way of ElitePlus status) on all US-Canada and US-Mexico Skyteam trips. Can't say the same goes generally for all OW Sapphire/Emeralds flying Oneworld trips internationally within North America.

Things will still be inconsistent between Skyteam and Oneworld on intra-North America international trips.
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:42 pm   #13

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Hon Circle, Delta Skymiles Gold

Now that's a bummer. I chose to fly AA with a three hours connection in DFW over a nonstop SEA-MSP next week becaiuse of the tier points. If I'd knew this I would not have done it. 3 hours in DFW without lounge access?
gordon0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:45 pm   #14

Programs: QF PS, BA Bronze, VA Silver, TK*S; HH Silver, IHG Plat
If this change holds true, that's a downer.

On the other hand, Qantas Club paid membership grants access to AA lounges (except Flagships) when flying AA. I assume this will not change?

Then, just to make things more confusing, Qantas Gold and Platinum members are technically also Qantas Club members (we get our membership for free, as it were). Does this effectively render QF Golds and Platinums immune from these changes?
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:12 pm   #15

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL), VS Gold, hotels.com Gold, Spandau Ballet Gold
Quote:
I know that this is how it is on SkyTeam at least. SkyTeam elites, regardless of tier, cannot access lounges on domestic itineraries.
"Domestic"? So if I'm based in Singapore, what's a "domestic" itinerary? Is Moscow to Vladivostok a domestic itinerary?
paulwuk is online now   Reply With Quote