Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by cegmondiale
I'm a long time UA/*A member (>300K lifetime miles), currently UA gold but will be Platinum by the end of the year. I'm not finding the program that valuable anymore and am trying to decide if I should move to another carrier. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
<snip>
(8) Preferred Airlines
Up in the air...UA right now, maybe QA or EK? Or is AA better with base in the US?
Living in USA not worth considering a non USA airline FFP. But some people in USA do use BA.
EK Emirates is not OneWorld
QA: if you mean QF Qantas do not consider the QF ffp for 1 second. Its a poor ffp.

Go for AA. DFW is AA home base.
AS is OK for some due to the DL & AA being freq flyer partner airlines
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to FT

Living in USA not worth considering a non USA airline FFP. But some people in USA do use BA.
EK Emirates is not OneWorld
QA: if you mean QF Qantas do not consider the QF ffp for 1 second. Its a poor ffp.

Go for AA. DFW is AA home base.
AS is OK for some due to the DL & AA being freq flyer partner airlines
QA = Qatar Airways. The majority of my travel is to the Middle East/North Africa region, thus the appeal of QA/EK.

I only spend 50% or less of my time in the USA. I am more or less a permanent traveler, but as US citizen, I maintain the US as my residence.

Both QA and EK are appealing because they offer lots of connections in the region I travel to the most. But with EK's recent devaluation, I've been looking to QA/AA to see if that would make more sense. I am not sure if AA or QA would make the most sense to maximize earnings and upgrades, since most of my travel would be on QA and AA downgrades OW partner earnings.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

QA = Qatar Airways. The majority of my travel is to the Middle East/North Africa region, thus the appeal of QA/EK.

I only spend 50% or less of my time in the USA. I am more or less a permanent traveler, but as US citizen, I maintain the US as my residence.

Both QA and EK are appealing because they offer lots of connections in the region I travel to the most. But with EK's recent devaluation, I've been looking to QA/AA to see if that would make more sense. I am not sure if AA or QA would make the most sense to maximize earnings and upgrades, since most of my travel would be on QA and AA downgrades OW partner earnings.
Qatar is QR. Not the best ffp
But it depends on want you want from a ffp.
With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy: upgrades are not given out like with USA based airlines.
If you look the QR forum you will see upgrades are by email request.

The airline you fly and the airline you credit those flights to does not need to be the same
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Qatar is QR. Not the best ffp
But it depends on want you want from a ffp.
With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy: upgrades are not given out like with USA based airlines.
If you look the QR forum you will see upgrades are by email request.

The airline you fly and the airline you credit those flights to does not need to be the same
Let me re-frame this.

According to the AA website, flights on all OW partners are devalued to 50-75% (for economy fares). If the majority of my international flights with AA/OW are on QR, then it would be a massive loss. This is the primary reason I am questioning using AA as my FFP.

Does anyone know how this works practically speaking? Do you truly lose that much in terms of status/points by flying OW partners through AA FFP?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hi all, I am trying to decide whether to create a new BA FFP account but am not sure if its worth it in my scenario:

1) What is your home airport?
Reply: LHR

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
Reply: I used to fly around 90k, almost all long-haul in 3-4 London-S.E. Asia return trips. This has now reduced to a couple a year, plus a few short-haul flights so maybe 50k. All in economy unless redeeming air miles.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Usually the cheapest economy tickets available.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, complete flexibility, but I tend to want to fly non-stop if possible.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Reply: LHR to KUL mostly, with a few LHR to Europe trips.

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present?
Reply: MH Silver (so OneWorld Ruby) but this expires in March and I am not on track to maintain it.

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Lounge access would be great, but realistically I am looking for whatever programme which will maximise my few flights a year in terms of miles to redeem on upgrades or hopefully just my ruby status for business check-in.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: MH mainly because they fly direct to KUL. I tend to avoid flying BA long-haul wherever possible.

I currently have a ton of points on my HSBC credit card which can be credited towards BA, Krisflyer points, Etihad Guest or Asia Miles points hence the dilemma. I don't know whether it's worth me opening a BA account to simply accrue non-flying points, or open one of the other programmes linked with my credit card. If I do open a BA account, should I start allocating my MH flights to BA or would I be better off keeping those miles separate and redeeming them separately?

I appreciate the advice
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THEALB10N
......I currently have a ton of points on my HSBC credit card which can be credited towards BA, Krisflyer points, Etihad Guest or Asia Miles points hence the dilemma. I don't know whether it's worth me opening a BA account to simply accrue non-flying points, or open one of the other programmes linked with my credit card. If I do open a BA account, should I start allocating my MH flights to BA or would I be better off keeping those miles separate and redeeming them separately?
If only flying few or low number of flights it make no sense to have multiple overlapping ffp's (like OneWorld). You will not get enough miles/points/avios to use before they expire.

I would use your MH points and open a BA account. Credit all eligible flights to BA.
Or look for an award and only then transfer from the credit card
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Let me re-frame this.

According to the AA website, flights on all OW partners are devalued to 50-75% (for economy fares). If the majority of my international flights with AA/OW are on QR, then it would be a massive loss. This is the primary reason I am questioning using AA as my FFP.

Does anyone know how this works practically speaking? Do you truly lose that much in terms of status/points by flying OW partners through AA FFP?
The Privilege Club (QRs FFP) earning table practically mirrors what you would earn on QR when crediting to AAdvantage. Discount economy earns a measly 25% there as well: http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...arn_chart.page.
Privilege Club has a point system for earning status similar to BA's program - it's not 100% miles-based. Use their calculator with the routes you fly most to check on if it's worth it: http://www.qatarairways.com/sites/Pr...alculator.page

Workaround: If you buy QR flights as AA codeshares on aa.com, you will earn AA miles according to the AA earning chart, which gives 100% miles for even the cheapest fare - for now. Price differences for codeshares vary greatly - do some research for the routes you fly most often.
Nobody here knows if and when that will change, but everyone around here is certain AAdvantage will see a major devaluation rather soon. Check this thread for where this may well be heading: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2015-a-2.html

Collective wisdom around here says it's usually preferable to credit to/gain status in the FFP of the airline that one uses most.
In your case, crediting to QR will get you low or maybe mid-tier status with QR, and only by crediting to PC will you be able to use miles for upgrades on QR flights. Also, status in PC MAY LIKELY give you better shots at operational upgrades.
Crediting to AA, you cannot upgrade QR flights with AA miles if that is what you're after.

However, especially for a US citizen, AA miles are - for now - much easier to obtain (think cc use) than QR miles and better overall well due to their generous redemption chart. And AA miles practically do not expire (especially when you have and use a co-branded cc), while QR miles do have a hard expiration date of 36 to 41 months after earning. When you only fly discount economy, you need to collect for a long time before having enough for an award or an upgrade, so keep this in mind.

Personally, in your situation I would credit to AA (and get their cc) and decide what to do in a few months after the AA devaluation has been announced.
For oneworld status - wait until you have your UA platinum card and then status match with airberlin. This will give you OW Sapphire status for a year (incl. lounge access).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
Best Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- there is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting ff miles from a credit card
- etc, etc, etc
(above copied in part from a post by dunk)

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Priority Services, In-flight benefits (E+, etc.), Lounge Access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 30,000 AA each year. 12,000 other each year. This can vary- one year it might be more and one year it might be less.

Reply: Economy, Premium Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Sometimes. Mostly pleasure.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: LAX - IST (TK), SNA - DFW (AA)

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: DFW, SNA, LAX

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: TK *G. Might earn AA Gold soon.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: I like *A but with DFW involved, it's becoming tough.
__________________________________________________ _
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starBora
<snip>
Reply: I like *A but with DFW involved, it's becoming tough.
Living in DFW, USA and flying AA there will be nothing better than AA in OneWorld
Some in USA go with the BA ffp. But to get BA status you need 4 BA flights
AS as wild card due to the partners http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
BEST OPTION FOR ONEWORLD FF IN OCEANIA?

Hi all,

I'm currently BAEC silver (OW sapphire), have been living in Australia and NZ for a year, getting to the point of struggling to make the 4 flights a year on BA required to maintain status (as I don't have that much business in Singapore, and it seems a fairly poor hub for onward OW connections...)

Was thinking of joining QF but have heard very little good about it. Alternatively was toying with the idea of jumping ship to AirNZ (although this would be fairly impractical as a lot of the routes I have to take for work are PSOs with Qantas as the only airline)

Therefore left wondering about Cathay (unlikely as just move the current singapore issue to hong kong), MAS (seems potentially risky in the longer term), or LAN, which with their SYD-AKL route is seriously attractive to me, although I can't find a huge amount of information online

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: I like the free upgrades and decent seating I get being BAEC, and I'm more interest in status (for stuff like lounge access) than I am in miles. I do like how BA lets you pay partially with points and get the same TP/avios but i suspect that's reasonably unique to BA. Extra baggage is occasionally useful but so infrequently that it's not a massive priority

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: in the last 12 months i've done the following (paid for- i'm not counting courtesy upgrades for comparison purposes)
BA short haul club x2
BA short haul economy x2
BA long haul WT+ x2 (x2 more booked)
AA long haul club x1
AA mid haul economy x1
LAN short haul economy x1
LAN long haul economy x2
LAN short haul business x3 (x1 more booked)
QF domestic economy x12
QF short haul economy x5
QR long haul economy x4
MH long haul economy x4
MH short haul business (x4 booked)
UL short haul business x2
UL long haul business x2

VA domestic economy x4
ANZ domestic economy x3

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:
Usually economy/premium economy. Business depending on fare or whether I can get a decent upgrade offer

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: To a certain extent but not on some many of my work contracts within Australia (which are usually QF/Jetstar only)

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: No real "home" routes beyond SYD-AKL

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: SYD or AKL depending on which way i'm parting my hair that month

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: 150000 ish miles in BAEC. Very rarely redeem any. BAEC silver for the past 2 years

Reply: Any and all oneworld
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nancypants Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by nancypants
I'm currently BAEC silver (OW sapphire), have been living in Australia and NZ for a year, getting to the point of struggling to make the 4 flights a year on BA required to maintain status (as I don't have that much business in Singapore, and it seems a fairly poor hub for onward OW connections...)

Was thinking of joining QF but have heard very little good about it. Alternatively was toying with the idea of jumping ship to AirNZ (although this would be fairly impractical as a lot of the routes I have to take for work are PSOs with Qantas as the only airline)
< snip>
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: 150000 ish miles in BAEC. Very rarely redeem any. BAEC silver for the past 2 years

Reply: Any and all oneworld
An interesting problem.
Is living in Australia - NZ for ever or a short time (few years)? I assume you still a have a UK address for the BA ffp. BA does not allow member with an Australian - NZ address (unless this has changed).

QF is generally a poor ffp. But depends on your objectives from a ffp and how you earn miles/points/status. For many AA is better ffp, then BA but nothing is right or wrong. Look at post 330
AA, BA & QF all require 4 (own) marketed flights for status
AA does not have soft landing from status. If you do not requalify you drop to the bottom status. QF (& BA?) you only drop 1 status/tier level per year
JQ only credit to QF if an eligible flight.

In my view VA is a better ffp for Air NZ & VA flights. Unless flying a lot with Air NZ and earning NZ points by credit card it’s a very poor ffp (a magnitude worse than QF)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Hi

I am planning to buy CDG-BKK business with QR.
considering to fly this route 3 or 4 time next year as they use A380 and they have good promotion ex CDG now
This would mean i would have ONEWORLD as my main FFP
Already have BA with 8869 avios.
I am french living in Thailand , giving me access to credit cards from both countries.
Curently use AMEX AIRFRANCE.

my main target is redemption for business /First BKK-CDG or BKK-LAX

i would say 50-70K per year.

Reply: Economy, Business long distance if i find a good deal

Reply: I always choose and pay myself

Reply: I have almost the same schedule every year:

BKK-CDG 3 or 4 time a year
1 Bkk-NRT
1 BKK- BAH
1 BKK-SHA
1 BKK-LAX

Reply: BKK ( can position myself CDG when i need to )

Reply:
Air France Gold 76000 miles
Etihad Silver 30000 miles
24000 miles on united
8869 avios on BA

Reply: now i enjoy Etihad but i want to try Qatar as they serve CDG and BKK with A380

Thank you for your help
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:26 pm

OneWorld Status - QPoints or Tier Points or EQP?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post - so please be gentle.

I am trying to make sense of all the different frequent flyer programs, and am thoroughly overwhelmed by all the information.

Long story short, I am trying to get to OneWorld Sapphire (currently at Ruby via BA Bronze). I have about 180 tier points right now on BA and 1100 elite points on AA, and have 4 separate OneWorld roundtrips coming up:

1. MIA - Lima (American Airlines)
2. Lima - Cuzco (LAN)
3. MIA - HYD (Qatar)
4. MIA - HYD (Undecided)

I am debating whether to continue to use my BA FF# for all the above trips, or to use AA or Qatar (afresh). The only reason I would be looking at Qatar is because they also have a Qmiles bonus for signing up (2000) and for flying out of MIA (about 5000).

This could be a silly question, but with just 180 tier points on BA, would it be worth looking at a different program to get to OneWorld Sapphire quicker?

I looked at the AA Status Challenge, but it seems to have closed for now.

Any advice appreciated - thank you!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

I'm moving this to the "which Oneworld FFP" thread. You might want to look at the "questionnaire" to give us more help.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Free Agent
Looking at a backup to Star Alliance for next year. Trying to figure out which FF program to credit my flights to. I think it'll either be BA or QR. Thanks in advance!

C, and preferably F redemption on a quality airline. Don't think QR offers IAD-DOH in F though.

2 x IAD-LHR in BA PE
2 x IAD-SE Asia in QR C
1 or 2 other OW short haul flights in F
* should be able to make top tier status on either BA or QR

Business

Pleasure - have flexibility in picking airlines

For OW, planning on IAD-LHR, and IAD to SE Asia

IAD

No FF status with OW at the moment.

LH to Europe (except to LHR), ANA to Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.