Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The big question of AA vs other Oneworld is whether you value upgrades (AA) or lounge access (non-AA) as your status perk

BA Executive Club may work better than Marco Polo if you go non-AA

You'd still nearly get Sapphire status from your Asia trip, plus you get extra miles when flying BA, but also IB and AA as well

BA's domestic US redemption rates for non-stops are reasonably good, although transatlantic are not with fuel surcharges
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving the above two posts to the "Which OW FFP" sticky thread.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: SK Diamond, BAEC Silver
Hi,
I have used BAEC for about 10 years now, but contemplating if I would be better off by switching to AA. I've had Gold status with BAEC for 7 of the last ten years. Currently silver. I recently started in a new job which involves a lot of travelling (at least 1 intercon in C-class every 3-4 weeks, plus OSL-LHR/AMS/ZRH about once a week). I have had three intercon in C already this year, have SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*A). I hate the taxes BA imposes on award-tickets, and with the outdated seats in CW I try to avoid BA on the long-haul flights. Will use award tickets for OSL-US/OSL-Asia.

I want to spread out my points between at least two programs, and OW and SA are the alliances where the flights from Norway suits best to the destinations I'll travel to for work.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good award redemption rates (only C/F), better award access, Emrald status in OW for lounge access.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
>50000 miles - >50 flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I travel for work, and I can choose airline myself.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Oslo-Europe (about 40 roundtrips per year). Oslo-Asia/US 10-15 roundtrips per year.

(6) What is your home airport?
OSL

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
BAEC Silver (250k Avios). SK Diamond (500k miles)

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
For OW: BA, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, AA

If anyone can give some guidance to what FFP in OW you think I would be best off by choosing, I would love to hear your thoughts.

My first two trips on OW are coming up the next two weeks:
Trip 1: OSL-LHR-PEK (BA) SHA-HKG (CW) HKG-LHR-OSL (BA) - C Class
Trip 2: OSL-HEL (AY) HEL-NRT (JL) HKG-LHR-OSL (BA) - C Class

So I should choose the FFP before Monday.

Last edited by krist1an; Jan 31, 2017 at 3:09 am Reason: Added flights
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
Question Need a OW FFP ... is it BA or AA or something else?

Hi all! Thanks for your help, I'm a anewbie...

After building some status with *A, I need a OW program. Currently live near SFO, work HQ in Madrid (once a year), travel to LAX for business (every 1-2 months), family in LON (twice a year). I think its between BA and AA but both seem to get a lot of flack here for devaluations...

Reply: Upgrades then lounge access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 25000-50000 25-50 flights
Reply: Economy or Premium Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Both work and pleasure. Some flexibility with airlines
Reply: US Domestic and USA - Europe
Reply: SFO
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: *A Gold with TK. Wife has a bunch of AA points, no status
Reply: Mostly *A until now, US domestic with AA haven't impressed me

Thanks again for help, appreciate any replies.
Cruciferous

Last edited by cruciferous; Feb 1, 2017 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Hi all,

Used to be (still am) a ST Elite +, however I have got some flights in J on OW carriers coming up and I need to decide which program to credit them to. Trips are as follows:

Trip 1: 6 segments (2 domestic US on AA, 2 inter-EU on BA/IB, 2 intercontinental on AA) all in J/D/I booking class

Trip 2: 4 segments: 2 inter-EU (LHR-HEL) in J on BA operated by AY, 2 inter-EU (HEL-TLL) in flex-economy (Y) on BA operated by AY.

Trip 3: 4 segments, all long-haul J (booking class R) on QR

Figured that these flights will land me the highest tier on somewhat any OW carrier's FF programme, but I am asking here for experiences with different programmes with respect to benefits as well as miles value/redemption.

Reply: Upgrades, then lounge access/priority
Reply: 25-35 flights, 50/50 between EU and intercontinental (North America, South America and Central- + East-Asia)
Reply: , 90% of the time lowest price economy
Reply: Only pleasure as of now, choice based on alliance (FF status) and price
Reply: For now KLM, inter European routes
Reply: AMS
Reply: ST Gold on KLM/AF with around 70k miles in reserve
Reply: Stayed loyal to ST until now, I like KLM/AF (also most flights on these).

Hope you guys can point me in a right direction
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:26 am

Hi Everyone!

Can I squeeze any value out of this...

Reply: Lounge access, then reward seat redemption, then upgrade redemption
Reply: Discount Y: 36,000 (as 2 sectors per month). PE Y: 8000 (2 sectors annually)
Reply: Cheapest economy on full service airline for work, cheapest premium economy for leisure
Reply: Choice of airline, most miles for work
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: HKG to KUL, SIN, MEL. Up until now, most of my flights were HKG-SIN with SQ due to their included flexibility at the same price point as CX. My pattern has changed though, spending more time in KUL than SIN
Reply: HKG
Reply: VA gold (achieved through SYD-MEL-BNE and HKG-SIN, expiring at end of month, considering VA marketed HKG-SIN-MEL return to requal but don't think it's worth the expense)
21k VA
23k QFF
Reply: CX, SQ, QF (company policy of no MH)

I'm looking to hear opinions about re-jigging my goals and instead chase upgrades on my annual HKG-MEL flights rather than lounge access.

Occasionally on HKG-KUL/SIN I'm in a CX booking class that earns QFF miles, but most often it's not.

Also looking at getting the HKD Amex (not elite) with MPC membership

If I change to chasing upgrades (from discount Y?), am I better off with QFF or AM/MPC?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Which Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program

I travel quite a bit between the US and Saudi Arabia for work. Regrettably, I do not have the luxury of choosing my own itineraries. For years all of my work-related travel has been on Skyteam carriers and I've been crediting the miles to Delta Skymiles. However, my employer has now decided that we will be flying with Oneworld carriers and I am a loss as to which OW frequent flyer program to use. Some general info about my flying habits:

1) I appreciate Delta's operations & service so all my domestic flying will still be with DL.

2) I don't give a damn about credit card sign-up bonuses.

3) I care more for elite status then I do for earning redeemable miles; but, I have no idea which carrier will be getting the lion's share of my long-haul business.

4) Some travel may be on Emirates, which I can credit to JAL's program.

So does anyone have a favorite stand-out OW program.

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Welcome to FT MancMonkey! There's actually an ongoing thread about choosing which programme over on the oneworld thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

I've asked a friendly mod to move this over for you.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given your two complaint threads it won't be BA!

But the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/

would be the best place to start
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Given your two complaint threads it won't be BA!

But the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/

would be the best place to start
You say that, but with a child who also flies and would collect miles perhaps BAEC with a household account?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please continue this discussion in the oneworld forum

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Best earn and burn program when flying discounted J

With AA awarding miles base on spends + the devaluation, I am not sure they still are the best option for me,

I value earning and burning mile above all, I was considering BA, I fly CX, MH and QR on 75% of my flight, so no bonus earning as when flying BA flight.

It looks like there is no good programme anymore with easy earning and good redemption rate...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by tobitronics
Hi all,

Used to be (still am) a ST Elite +, however I have got some flights in J on OW carriers coming up and I need to decide which program to credit them to. Trips are as follows:

Trip 1: 6 segments (2 domestic US on AA, 2 inter-EU on BA/IB, 2 intercontinental on AA) all in J/D/I booking class

Trip 2: 4 segments: 2 inter-EU (LHR-HEL) in J on BA operated by AY, 2 inter-EU (HEL-TLL) in flex-economy (Y) on BA operated by AY.

Trip 3: 4 segments, all long-haul J (booking class R) on QR

Figured that these flights will land me the highest tier on somewhat any OW carrier's FF programme, but I am asking here for experiences with different programmes with respect to benefits as well as miles value/redemption.

Reply: Upgrades, then lounge access/priority
Reply: 25-35 flights, 50/50 between EU and intercontinental (North America, South America and Central- + East-Asia)
Reply: , 90% of the time lowest price economy
Reply: Only pleasure as of now, choice based on alliance (FF status) and price
Reply: For now KLM, inter European routes
Reply: AMS
Reply: ST Gold on KLM/AF with around 70k miles in reserve
Reply: Stayed loyal to ST until now, I like KLM/AF (also most flights on these).

Hope you guys can point me in a right direction
unlike star alliance and skyteam, oneworld has more tier of elite. it is not clear that u can earn the highest tier on oneworld alliance with your current booking. for example, ba requires 1500 tier point for gold. amd your long haul on qr with 4 segments get u 560 tier points only. u would still need 4 segments on ba even if u have 1500 tier points.

aa requires 100k eqm for emerald, assuming your qr long haul has 20k flown miles, and r class earns 1.5 per miles, which lands you 30k.eqm which is 30% of the requirement.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I would appreciate some help here - I thought I knew a lot about FF programs but OW is so different - haven't looked at it since I was BA Gold 20 years ago. Marco Polo / Asia Miles doesn't seem very attractive, since they will only match me to silver in the best case, and there is no elite bonus on miles earned.

lots of award tickets for my wife and kids, extra baggage allowance, better award access, priority services when flying the airline. I would hope for a jump start with a status match too.

Reply:
75,000-125,000 miles, largely long-haul in J. Only 15-25 sectors

Reply:
Cheap Business, moderately cheap Y on US domestic flights

Reply: Yes, I choose - 75% work, 25% pleasure

Reply:
UA TLV-USA and domestic USA. LX/LH also to USA and South America. Until now TK/SQ to Asia and Australia. a few trips from TLV to Europe. Planning to switch the Asia and Australia flights at least to CX since they now have one stop TLV-HKG-MEL
I have two TLV-HKG returns on CX booked in J (D class) for April/May.

Reply: TLV

Reply: UA 1K/MM, Chase UR too

Reply:
UA, LX, LH, SQ starting to fly CX

Last edited by sabbasolo; Feb 27, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, MPC
I am thinking of joining BA because of their much-more generous Tier Point scheme compared to Marco Polo's club points, despite being in Marco Polo for almost 10 years. New job meant I'm flying a lot more than before (no J no F though) so lounge access is much loved.

My target is OW Sapphire.

Reply: lounge access
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 25000-50000. 25-50 flights probably.
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy/cheapest
Reply: Yes, Both
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: APAC/Europe
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: HKG
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: CX Marco Polo Green (90 ClubPoints)
Reply: oneworld obviously but don't like Qatar as they strictly adhere to the "one hand-carry" baggage policy - no backpack + carry-on suitcase. Was forced to check in backpack as i had my laptop in my carry-on. Never had problem with KA/CX/AY/EK/etc

Thank you very much for your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.