Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Qatar PC Priority Pass VIP Marco Polo Asia Miles
Help Pls

Hi everyone,

I have a question.

I will soon be flying with Qatar from LHR to DOH to DAR (Round Trip)
afterwards will be flying Cathay Pacific from LHR to HKG then to PEK (One Way)
Then with Qatar from PEK to DOH to LHR (Round Trip)

I have just recently joined Qatar's Privilege Club (lowest tier with no prior points of miles) and I am open to joining other OW FF programs.

So my question is what FF program in OW will get me to OW top tier statuses (ideally Sapphire) (Unlikely Emerald)

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I am sure this is somewhere in this thread, but if you are a U.S based EC member booking AA flights with-in the U.S that are NOT marketed as BA do not qualify for elite status. You will still get the tier points and AVIOS.

Anyone know a workaround for this?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by token385
I am sure this is somewhere in this thread, but if you are a U.S based EC member booking AA flights with-in the U.S that are NOT marketed as BA do not qualify for elite status. You will still get the tier points and AVIOS. Anyone know a workaround for this?
To me your question is not clear. Its a question for the BA forum here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tive-club-446/
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I suppose that you are correct. Thanks - I will post it there. However when reading through the multitude of threads on which programme to select, this item doesn't appear to be mentioned. You can find all kinds of info on Avios and tier points but no mention of the number of eligible flights to obtain status. As an EC member in the U.S I was looking at plausibility of switching to the AAdvantage program.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:23 pm

Hi, all

Am new here and just want to get some advice for FFP. I thought over a lot but cant do decision.
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
TXL/SXF
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Economy in europe and Biz for travel to Asia
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
25k-50k, maximal can do 50k for LH
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
MM, MileSmile
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
As a priority i may prefer
Frequent upgrades on travel>priority services when flying the airline>free lounge access>good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Europe over all 6(travel)+6(work) times in 1 year + at least 1 to China or sometime plus Japan
(7) Preferred Airlines
TK, A3, LH group, NH, SK for *A and OW with AB, JL, BA/CX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
both

I d rather to choose *A as my priority, however i base in Berlin so to be honest AB is the best choice for short flight, and can be + EY or JL to Asia. As a possiblity.
To keep TK as Elite isnt so diffcult for me but it is still a little bit difficult if i choose LH and keep as Senator, not unpossible but better not.
Actually NH and JL is one of my choice because of my work. But if i do not live in Japan, its doesnt make sense to join and keep...think it.
And if i choose JL i can still keep my status within JGC so OW may more comfortable for me.

Can someone give me advice?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:13 pm

Mwenenzi, thank you so much!!

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
transhuman Welcome to FT

Award flights are a long way from free. You pay real taxes on all. Some ffp's, like BA & QF, have carrier imposed surcharges on many awards. AA awards on BA has carrier imposed surcharges. Worth checking on LAN if they have award surcharges.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough miles to be of use before they expire. FFP’s are for the long term. The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same. This is what ff partners are all about.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-expire.html

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s

LA & AA are oneworld and partners (as is QF). Pick one. Very little (nil?) comparisons of LA ffp to others. QF is a poor ffp. Unless you get QF points from credit cards and/or fly eligible JQ flights a lot. Look at post 330 here for AA vs QF award cost & surcharges,

LAN premium = Oneworld ruby. The lowest status = AA gold & QF silver. Has some benefits, but not lounge access.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...s-premium#tier
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/ruby-privileges

UA is Star Alliance. You need activity every 18 months to stop miles expiring. Worth keeping as your Star Alliance ffp
DL is Skyteam and a Virgin Australia partner. DL miles do not expire, but refereed to a Sky pesos here on FT.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...29-2016-a.html
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:45 am

Hi there!

I asked in the Iberia forum already but got the recommendation to ask here as well.

I have about 14k on TK (goal is gold) and will fly ZRH-MAD-MEX with Iberia on Business.

What's my best bet in terms of program to choose on oneworld, to add those Iberia miles and then match it with TK to get Gold on Star Alliance?

Someone said the Iberia trip would be enough to get gold there and then I could status match with TK. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Need help to find best FF program now that I am back in Europe

Hi,

I moved from South America where I was TAM Fidelidade Black member.

One of the best perks of the program was the unlimited complimentary upgrade. I am looking for an equivalent program in Europe

I will be based in OTP

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Reply: Upgrades to business

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

Reply: Over 300K miles and > 80 segments

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?

Reply: Premium Economy, Economy Full, Promo business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Reply: Work

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?

Reply: Europe to US

(6) What is your home airport?

Reply: OTP

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Reply: LATAM Fidelidade Black, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, TAP Gold, Turkish Miles & Smiles Elite

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?

Reply: TAM, LAN, TAP, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, British Airways

Thanks!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pepo531
I moved from South America where I was TAM Fidelidade Black member.

One of the best perks of the program was the unlimited complimentary upgrade. I am looking for an equivalent program in Europe.

I will be based in OTP
You will not find a Eu based ffp that offers unlimited complimentary (free) upgrades.
Even USA based ffp's now are limiting upgrades and making them harder to get.

How long will you be living in OTP? A few years or for ever?
Probably best to keep yours TAM status, at least in the short to medium term.
With over 300K miles and > 80 segments you will get status with another OW airline
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:02 am
ll1

College student needs help with ffp

Hello!
I am starting college next year, and would be flying between HKG and JFK/EWR. AFAIK, i would need 3 round trips to qualify for CX silver or AA Platinum for lounge access. Would AA be better than CX, even if i'm flying on a CX plane? Would other airline FFPs like BA also work? Which FFP would be better?
Answers to the guiding questions are below; thanks for the help guys!

Reply:Primarily lounge access; extra baggage and upgrades would be nice too!
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
3 round trips HKG to JFK; probably 2 in economy and 1 in premium economy (~48k miles a year?)+ one or two asia region flights during holidays
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I fly mostly to commute to school; HKG to JFK is CX flight with AA Codeshare afaik, CX also operates HKG to EWR.
HKG
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I have neligible points in both cx and aa
Cathay
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will not find a Eu based ffp that offers unlimited complimentary (free) upgrades.
Even USA based ffp's now are limiting upgrades and making them harder to get.

How long will you be living in OTP? A few years or for ever?
Probably best to keep yours TAM status, at least in the short to medium term.
With over 300K miles and > 80 segments you will get status with another OW airline
At least for 3 years I will be based in OTP. From the airlines in Europe which is the one that is more generous with upgrades in exchange for miles IF there is availability in BC cabin?

thanks
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:21 pm

Hi, all

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
TXL/SXF
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Economy in europe and Business for travel to Asia
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
25k-50k, maximal can do 50k.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
AB Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
As a priority i may prefer
Frequent upgrades on travel>priority services when flying the airline>free lounge access>good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Europe over all 6(travel)+6(work) times in 1 year + at least 1 to China or sometime plus Japan
(7) Preferred Airlines
AB(just because of membership i have now, but AB haven't its own flight to Asia so)
JL,BA,CX,QR
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
both

Hello again, because I haven't get any advice here. So please.
Just used my Senator matched AB because I can keep Senator anymore. So think over to join OW.
As I base in TXL so maybe of course AB and AB is easy to gain Mile.
However if it is possible i wanna to try another one when it fit me more.
So wanna get some advice from you.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Something I just realized, -- some of the cheap CX fare classes which don't earn on AA do earn on QR. I was specifically looking at an M fare bucket for this coming weekend. I'm QRPC GLD and I'll earn approximately 50% of BIS miles on QR, plus some QPoints. Zero on AA.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:07 pm

Post Can't decide on a FPP

Hi,

I do a lot of leisure traveling with my spouse and I would like to reap the benefits of that with the appropriate FFP. Also worth noting that we're based in the Middle East, most guides/posts out there that I could find were more geared towards people based in the US/EUR

(1) What is your home airport?
Reply: KWI, Kuwait.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
Reply: 25K-40K. Mostly Y, occasionally C in transpacific flights.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: Mostly cheap economy, occasionally premium eco/business.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I can choose the airline and the class of service. My travel is mostly for leisure.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Around Europe twice a year. And to Americas once a year. Also US Domestic once a year (a lot of them). And would love to start exploring Asia next year, never been to that side.

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: No.

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Upgrades on travel, priority services, good award redemption rates.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: None really.. But Qatar Airways doesn't seem too shabby.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by ll1
Hello!
I am starting college next year, and would be flying between HKG and JFK/EWR. AFAIK, i would need 3 round trips to qualify for CX silver or AA Platinum for lounge access. Would AA be better than CX, even if i'm flying on a CX plane? Would other airline FFPs like BA also work? Which FFP would be better?
Answers to the guiding questions are below; thanks for the help guys!

Reply:Primarily lounge access; extra baggage and upgrades would be nice too!
3 round trips HKG to JFK; probably 2 in economy and 1 in premium economy (~48k miles a year?)+ one or two asia region flights during holidays
Reply: I fly mostly to commute to school; HKG to JFK is CX flight with AA Codeshare afaik, CX also operates HKG to EWR.
HKG
I have neligible points in both cx and aa
Cathay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.