Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

Thanks Mwenzi!

The BA avios are from credit cards. I am just concerned with AA because I cannot earn points on Cathay discounted flights. I have a 25% transfer to BA avios so may end up opening an Asia Miles account.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Unless you're looking at flying at least 30k a year with Cathay, I wouldn't bother opening Asia Miles. The points expire within 3 years and a business class ticket redemption on Cathay from the US to HKG return is between 120k and 145k. Upgrades are 30k to 45k.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: LH HON
Would be more than happy to get some suggestions.

Background information: I'll spend most of my time in Singapore in 2016. Work based travel will decline (currently doing HKG-DFW at least monthly). Therefore I'm more or less free to choose what I'm going to do next. I'd like to stay with OW as I quite like the network and carriers they are using - plus I refuse to fly one more time with United :P

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Award redemption / award access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Usually a steady 100-120k "BIS" - less segment orientated tho. 50% Business Class 50% Economy

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy? (First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Business for work related travel, Cheapest for leisure travel

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I'm free to choose whatever I want to fly with as long as it's reasonable (e.g not double or triple the price). Most of the travel will be work related within Southeast Asia and occasionally flights to Europe/US.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
SIN-HKG (CX)
HKG-DFW (AA)
SIN-NRT (JL)
SIN-CMB (UL)

(6) What is your home airport?
SIN

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
AA EXP with approx. 250k miles banked

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
AA,CX,JL
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:14 am

Seeking advice re best OW program for me, preferably one I can STATUS MATCH from *G

Reply:
priority services when flying the airline & lounge access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
>50000 miles, 25 sectors, many long haul with stopovers

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply:
Business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes I can choose most of the time, depending on schedule . Travel for Work & Pleasure

Reply:
Transatlantic middle east to US west coast, middle east to ASIA, Europe

Reply:
TLV

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:
TK Elite Plus (*G until 2018)

Reply:
TK, LY, UA, OS, LX, AC

Thanks in advance for replies.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:57 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by ckx2
Would be more than happy to get some suggestions.

Background information: I'll spend most of my time in Singapore in 2016. Work based travel will decline (currently doing HKG-DFW at least monthly). Therefore I'm more or less free to choose what I'm going to do next. I'd like to stay with OW as I quite like the network and carriers they are using - plus I refuse to fly one more time with United :P

Award redemption / award access

Usually a steady 100-120k "BIS" - less segment orientated tho. 50% Business Class 50% Economy

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy? (First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Business for work related travel, Cheapest for leisure travel

I'm free to choose whatever I want to fly with as long as it's reasonable (e.g not double or triple the price). Most of the travel will be work related within Southeast Asia and occasionally flights to Europe/US.

SIN-HKG (CX)
HKG-DFW (AA)
SIN-NRT (JL)
SIN-CMB (UL)

SIN

AA EXP with approx. 250k miles banked

AA,CX,JL
I can't think of a reason to switch from AA.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:51 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by TlvLove
Seeking advice re best OW program for me, preferably one I can STATUS MATCH from *G

Reply:
priority services when flying the airline & lounge access
Reply:
>50000 miles, 25 sectors, many long haul with stopovers

Reply:
Business

Reply: Yes I can choose most of the time, depending on schedule . Travel for Work & Pleasure

Reply:
Transatlantic middle east to US west coast, middle east to ASIA, Europe

Reply:
TLV

Reply:
TK Elite Plus (*G until 2018)

Reply:
TK, LY, UA, OS, LX, AC

Thanks in advance for replies.
As you probably know, the only Oneworld carrier that flies east from TLV is RJ (not a bad airline at all) to Asia via AMM. Otherwise you'd have to backtrack to western Europe in order to fly to Asia.

American and LY have dropped their FF relationship unfortunately; however following its merger with US, AA now flies from TLV to PHL. The ex-US business class product is quite superior, and connecting through PHL is not hard at all.

So I'd be inclined to suggest AA for your Oneworld membership. AA doesn't status match (none of the major OW carriers do) but they have a fast-track challenge procedure that would earn you Platinum (Oneworld Sapphire, equal to *G) in one trip to the USA in business class. Once you're Plat, you'd get 100% mileage bonuses on most Oneworld flights, lounge access (except on domestic US trips not part of international itineraries) and other perks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Thanks Gardyloo!
I understand from your suggestion I should probably call AA and "initiate a platinum challenge" which includes a certain co-pay element, if I get it right.
What about a match via the current AirBerlin TopBonus plan to Gold - would similar benefits be available to me even if I am an AB gold/plat and not an AA?
Thanks again, looking at the details for that AA challege now.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Thanks Gardyloo!
I understand from your suggestion I should probably call AA and "initiate a platinum challenge" which includes a certain co-pay element, if I get it right.
What about a match via the current AirBerlin TopBonus plan to Gold - would similar benefits be available to me even if I am an AB gold/plat and not an AA?
Thanks again, looking at the details for that AA challege now.
From what I can see the AB bonus would be fine; however the perks are considerably lower than AA's (at least for the time being) - lower bonus miles on flights, higher redemption costs (more miles for award flights) etc. Yes, there's a one-time charge to sign up for the AA challenge (I think $240 or so, not certain) but you could make that up in award miles and/or upgrades pretty quickly.

It really depends on how you plan to use your status, and if you'd plan on maintaining your flight activity. AA no longer offers a "soft landing" - i.e. once you fail to requalify for a given tier, that's it, so if you're looking at a short-term romance, then AB would probably be the better bet. Longer term, if you could manage to switch most of your activity to Oneworld, with >50K BIS miles in business class you'd get pretty close to AA Executive Platinum, with its 8 SWUs and many other excellent perks.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:12 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
American and LY have dropped their FF relationship unfortunately; however following its merger with US, AA now flies from TLV to PHL. The ex-US business class product is quite superior, and connecting through PHL is not hard at all.
Well, just goes to show you... AA is dropping its PHL-TLV service in January. http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5942
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am going to ask the question but sway slightly from the template because I couldn't word it properly for my situation. I will try keep it concise as possible.

I have two business class bookings coming up and wondering where I should credit them...

At the moment, the plan was to credit those flights on my BA account. By the end of my HKG trip, I would be on around 1100 tier points, so not far from BA Gold. But my membership year ends in March, and I would not reach Gold due to my next potential J trip being in May.

Is there another OW frequent flyer programme I could credit these flights to that would make me OneWorld Emerald but give me the next year to do so?

LHR is my local OneWorld hub.

I would like to be able to use my miles for redemptions.. mainly just European flights though. Lounge access is important. A soft landing from Emerald to Sapphire would be great. Everything else is less important.

I was considering creating a new BAEC account and having them close my old one, thus giving myself a new membership year. Could this be an option? Obviously I do not wish to jeopardise my account or miles!

Thanks so much for any and all input!
        Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AB Gold, Alitalia Gold
        Sorry for the really noob-ish question, as I am new around here.

I have a DUS-LHR-PEK RT flight coming up on BA First (Fare Class A). I am currently a CX Silver (OneWorld Ruby) (till May 2016) and my main base is in HK/China. I considered crediting this flight to CX, but it seems that it wont get me any higher. Instead I was considering crediting this to BA, earning me 500 TP, which is enough to get me BA Silver (OneWorld Sapphire) after my next flight from PEK-LHR on CX.

However, I also looked at AA's Plat Challenge and it seems that my flights would also qualify me for AA Plat. Which one is better for someone based in China/HKG? Thanks!

PS: Sorry for the bad English, it is not my first language!
        Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:09 am

Thanks again Gardyloo. I never had high hopes for the PHL service but I wonder if the rumors about AA starting to fly MIA to TLV could have some truth to them!
        link to Israeli business magazine in Hebrew about US & AA reorganizing in Israel: http://www.themarker.com/news/aviation/1.2272972
        With this in mind - and seeing as my upcoming J class trip in OW might be on BA metal - maybe I should try for a BA match? I also hold a"no status" BA Executive Club account.
        Cheers.
        Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:36 am
        Moderator, OneWorld

Thanks again Gardyloo. I never had high hopes for the PHL service but I wonder if the rumors about AA starting to fly MIA to TLV could have some truth to them!
        link to Israeli business magazine in Hebrew about US & AA reorganizing in Israel: http://www.themarker.com/news/aviation/1.2272972
        With this in mind - and seeing as my upcoming J class trip in OW might be on BA metal - maybe I should try for a BA match? I also hold a"no status" BA Executive Club account.
        Cheers.
        When AA acquired TWA twenty years ago or whenever, they inherited a big legal dispute between TWA and the Israeli government, so frankly I was surprised that they didn't suspend US's TLV service right away. Too bad.

I'm not aware that BA matches; I rather doubt it. BA recently revised its redemption numbers and - to me at least - is far less attractive than it was. In addition, BA's practice of adding big out-of-pocket surcharges to their award flights is a big disincentive, and like AA and most other airlines, BA require at least 4 flown segments on BA metal annually (in addition to earning enough tier points) in order to requalify.

It does come back to your plans going forward, however. If Oneworld status is going to be a one-and-done thing for you, i.e. you're not going to try to maintain status in the future, then go with the AB match, use the lounges and perks while you can, and call it good in a year.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Aug 22, 2015 at 8:43 am
        Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:56 am

Currently put all my miles to IB, but not sure if this is really smart, so seeking advice.

Free - discounted lounge access, upgrades on travel, award redemption with minimum extra cash spend on YQ and taxes
        25000-50000 miles - <25 flights
        Cheapest, but next year jumped on a few First class tickets with AA ex-Brazil error fare, so might be able to get quite a lump number
        For pleasure only, no work-related travelling, so not bound to any particular airline
        ~70% intra-Europe, ~30% different transcontinentals with no particular pattern
        AMS, BRU, DUS
        Think will get Silver with ST this year based on number of segments.
        Not sure, started to flight OW pretty recently, enjoyed LATAM service on my trip to SA, but can imagine QR might be pretty good.

Thanks in advance, dear FTs!
        Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Aegean Miles and Bonus Silver Member (Star Alliance Silver)
        Hi everyone! I'm looking for the most suitable OW FFP for me. I already have an Executive Club account (BA), but I'm wondering if some other FFP could give me more miles and benefits for the flights I'm about to take (see details below). Could you please help me? Thanks!

Free - discounted lounge access, upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance

Unfortunately <25000 miles and <25 flights (around 15 flights per year).

Economy, the cheapest

Just for pleasure; I can usually choose the airline, but not the class of service.

Mostly European flights and some transatlantic flights (usually 2 per year), but I have a very long upcoming trip to South America with 10 flights (7 in 2015 and 3 in 2016) with Iberia, LAN and TAM:

With Iberia: MXP-MAD in Economy S and MAD-SCL in Economy S

With LAN: SCL-IPC and return in Economy H, SCL-CJC and return and SCL-PUQ in Economy Y, FTE-AEP in Economy B

With TAM: EZE-GRU in Economy B, GRU-MXP in Economy X

Milan (MXP, LIN or BGY)

I have 10.5k miles on Miles and More (LH), 2k miles with Miles and Bonus (A3) and a Star Alliance Silver status until December 2015, 0.5k Avios and 10 Lifetime Tier Points with British Airways and 4.5k miles with Alitalia.

Well, my most common airline is SWISS, but it's part of Star Alliance. My OW preferred airline is BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.