Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by svein85
New job, and have to travel a bit. Trying to decide on a program.
Show me your wisdom Flyertalk!

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Good award redemption rates and better award access, somewhat long expire date on miles
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Not sure yet, but most likely 5+ in C or D
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Business only
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Work, and can't choose myself
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: OSL - HEL - Asia (Hong Kong/Beijing) with AY
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: OSL
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: No
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: AY for longhaul, a lot of different stuff for short inside Euro
If you do 5+ long-hauls a year in C, you will be AY+ Plat (OWE) after 4 (well, more like 3.5), even not taking into account any possible short-hauls on OW carriers. If flying on AY, being AY Plat is pretty good. In the past lots of Europeans preferred BAEC, but their changes have definitely shifted the attitudes. AA top tiers would require some flights on AA metal.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Add to your Cathay Asia Miles account. Check the earning, but business class should earn.
It is not worth having multiple ffp's with low balances that are never enough for an award and may/will expire.
Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:05 pm

Smile Recommended credit cards?

Hello!

I'm a graduating university student who is trying to find out which credit card I should open in order to get the most out of receiving air miles and other rewards.

I'm definitely interested in One Alliance as I am from HK (and am already a Marco Polo and Asia Miles member), and will be moving to Japan in August for work so being able to use points for Japan Airlines would be great.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply:

- better baggage allowance
- good award redemption rates
- better reward access
- priority services (not a necessary requirement)
- upgrades (not a necessary requirement)
- no need for lounge access (although that would be nice!)

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:

>50000 miles(usually racked up by my flights between the US and HK, although I probably won't be getting those as often once I graduate)

<25 flights per year

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply:

Economy, sometimes premium economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:

I am able to choose my airlines and class of service, travel will mostly be for pleasure

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply:

Intra-Asia, transatlantic, currently U.S. domestic but that will be ending soon

6. What is your home airport?
(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:

HKG although it will probably change to a Japanese airport soon (don't know specifically as I have not been given a posting yet)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply:

- Marco Polo/Asia Miles: currently have just over 66,500 miles and I am a green card member

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
Reply:

- Cathay Pacific
- Japan Airlines
- sometimes Malaysia Airlines

I've heard that the British Airways Visa Signature Card is one of the best fits for me, but I'd just like to get some more opinions. I'd prefer to get miles that won't expire/have long expiry dates that can be gained from normal spending (not just booking flights esp with only a certain airline). A plus would be being able to redeem items with points as well, which I'm sure most cards have.

If possible, and I know this may be a bit off topic, I'd also like one that I could use for other types of travel such as trains and buses, but air travel is my priority.

i have a friend who signed up for the Bank of America travel card, which apparently can be used for other modes of travel but I'd like to know if it's any good too.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:21 am

What OneWorld FFP is recommended for me?

As I about 5-10 flight segments every year and I have to live for a few years, I would like to join a frequeny flyer program.
In a few months, I will be flying Qatar airways from CDG to Vietnam (HAN and SGN) via DOH and BKK.

1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: It needs to be possible to keep miles long. I don't want them to expire.
I'm interested in both award flights, upgrades and other kind of small benefits. As I don't fly enough, a FF status won't be possible.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: <25000, in economy (O and L for my upcoming flights). Less than 25 flight sectors.

Reply: Cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes. I travel for pleasure and I'm not strictly bound to an airline.

Reply: European short-haul + long-haul between Europe and Asia.
Mostly with the cheapest solution. This is often Qatar Airways.

Reply: BRU. But I can also depart from CDG, AMS, DUS and CGN

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: I don't have any status. I have 9602 miles in Aeroflot bonus (I now realise that this isn't a good program).

Reply: OneWorld: Qatar Airways, BA, Iberia. Malaysia seems interesting too.

Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:00 pm

What OneWorld FFP is recommended for me?

First off this thread is a godsend! I really appreciate any advice/wisdom that the experience of the forum can provide. With that said I'll jump into answering the questions in hopes that someone has relevant through or experience.]

I've done some research and it seems like for commuter flight into and out of Riyadh, with the split of weekend destinations between Amman and Abu Dhabi, OneWorld flying primarily Royal Jordanian and Qatar Airways is my best bet for managing all the logistics within a single network. My main question is about which airline I should join in terms of earning miles. I've got an account on AA which I've never really used since flying United for all my domestic business travel for the past 2 years, and am interested in finding the best match for the criteria in the questions answered below.

I'm expecting to fly routes in order of descending frequency:
1. Amman<->Riyadh
2. Abu Dhabi <-> Riyadh
3. Amman <-> Abu Dhabi

I will most likely fly two long haul flights back to the US and am expecting to cover upwards of 50,000 physical miles across 40+ flights.

Thanks for any insight!

Best Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program for you?

The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.

- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
miles/points over status

- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
Yes, expecting to be commuting weekly/bi-weekly

- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
personal travel (primarily flight awards)

- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
destination options, mileage-saver fares, status in that order

- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
No

- which airline and where do you normally fly?
I've been with United for the past 2 years for business travel and have Silver status there. I've primarily flown a mix of domestically and long-haul internationally (NZ, Nepal, etc.) in the past 2 years for personal travel.

- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Both

- where do you live?
I'll be commuting between Riyadh and Amman (and Abu Dhabi) for the next year.

- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
No

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Reply: good award redemption rates, better award access

Reply: Expecting to fly 25000-50000 physical miles and 25-50 flights

Reply: Premium Economy

Reply: Travel for work; I book all my own flights and choose class (other than first/business)

Reply: Will be primarily flying Amman<->Riyadh and Riyadh<->Abu Dhabi and occasionally Amman<->Abu Dhabi.

Reply: AMM, RUH

Reply: United Silver
Reply: normally fly United, but looking to switch away since they generally have poor coverage in the region.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acer7
..I've done some research and it seems like for commuter flight into and out of Riyadh, with the split of weekend destinations between Amman and Abu Dhabi, OneWorld flying primarily Royal Jordanian and Qatar Airways is my best bet for managing all the logistics within a single network. My main question is about which airline I should join in terms of earning miles. I've got an account on AA which I've never really used since flying United for all my domestic business travel for the past 2 years, and am interested in finding the best match for the criteria in the questions answered below.

I'm expecting to fly routes in order of descending frequency:
1. Amman<->Riyadh
2. Abu Dhabi <-> Riyadh
3. Amman <-> Abu Dhabi

I will most likely fly two long haul flights back to the US and am expecting to cover upwards of 50,000 physical miles across 40+ flights....
Royal Jordanian and Qatar Airways are in OneWorld as is AA. So you can collect AA miles, on RJ & QR flights subject to a fare bucket that earns miles.
Is USA home, in the long and/or short term?
If in the middle east is only for a few years stick with AA is my opinion.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
In short, currently deciding if I should try to keep my CX MPC Silver alive by crediting to that or if I should build up to Gold (and possibly above) through AA's FFP. I know most advocate for AA being US-based, but the reduced earnings on CX saver fares have me leaning towards MPC. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Upgrades & award redemption rates. I have PP Select & AA club access (myself +2) when flying AA/US through the Citi Prestige

(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25K historically, but plan to do 25-50K moving forward. Paid Y unless booking award travel.

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy/cheapest fares.

Reply: Leisure

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: TransPac & TransAtlantic

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: JFK/LGA/EWR

(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: CX MPC SL (OW Ruby) through a 1 year offer, debating whether or not to credit it here to maintain status, or switch to AA or JL. Will soon have ~150K banked in AA FFP

Reply: No preference. I've done KE/DL (ST) in the past for TransPac

(9) Do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
Reply: Yes, mostly from US cards to earn transferable AmEx MR/Chase UR/Citi TYP/AA Miles, and use shopping portals for online purchases. I am learning towards AA/BA/CX since I have cards that earn or transfer to all of these FFP. If I did opt for JL FFP, might pick up an SPG card so I have something to top up that account with.

Last edited by travel_mav; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:54 pm

Hey,

This is my first post to Flyertalk=)

I have been flying for a few years but my mileage points is a big mess with points scattered between different airlines and airline alliance programs. I would appreciate some advice for which airline I should focus my Oneworld points.
I guess I could go with any of the below airlines programs but since I have so many points stacked in AY (I’ve travelled a lot between Stockholm -> Shanghai in the past) I am not sure if its best to stick to it. Currently I am based in Austin, TX and fly back to Europe several times a year and also domestic in US. Usually fly the AUS->LHR->CPH route with BA, 4/5 times a year.

Current points (Oneworld)
AA (AAdvantage): 5,521
BA (Executive club): 21,722
AY (Finnair plus): 71,319

Questions

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: -> upgrades on travel
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:
-> 25-50,000, <25
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:
-> Economy
Reply:
-> Possibility to choose airlines, only economy and travel for work
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:
-> Transpacific, Usually AUS->CPH (via LHR)
Reply:
-> Currently AUS, next year ORD/MDW
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:->

Reply:
-> N/A

Any advice is appreciated=)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sebastiann
I have been flying for a few years but my mileage points is a big mess with points scattered between different airlines and airline alliance programs. I would appreciate some advice for which airline I should focus my Oneworld points.

I guess I could go with any of the below airlines programs but since I have so many points stacked in AY (I’ve travelled a lot between Stockholm -> Shanghai in the past) I am not sure if its best to stick to it. Currently I am based in Austin, TX and fly back to Europe several times a year and also domestic in US. Usually fly the AUS->LHR->CPH route with BA, 4/5 times a year.

Current points (Oneworld)

Questions
Reply: -> upgrades on travel
<snip>
Does not make much sense to have 3 OneWorld airline ffp's with low balances
What do you want to do with these miles/avios/points? Be careful about expiry of miles/avios/points

Upgrades are usually only available with ffp miles on the airline flights of your ffp. Cross airline upgrade are uncommon and require expensive flights if available. Upgrades, with ff miles, upgrade instruments or free due to status on non USA based airlines are not common. With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy: upgrades are not given out like with USA based airlines.

Living in USA I would have AA as the primary ffp.
BA is good for some, due the award cost on short haul flights

USA based airlines ffp's tend to far more generous (earn/burn & status benefits).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:05 am

Thank you Mwenenzi,

I will keep track of expiration dates. I beleive I will most likely live in Europe in 4-5 years so I guess the best choice for me is to stick with the BA Executive club. Thanks for the tip

/Sebastian
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sebastiann
I believe I will most likely live in Europe in 4-5 years so I guess the best choice for me is to stick with the BA Executive club.
In your post you indicated you live in USA, and not Europe
Reply: -> Currently AUS, next year ORD/MDW
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In your post you indicated you live in USA, and not Europe
Sorry thats my bad. I currently live in US but I will move back to Europe in 4-5 years.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:16 am

Perth FF Questions

Originally Posted by Joshua Kan
Will be living in Perth for the next two years trying to decide which frequent flier program to go with, looking into Quantas or AA (or other?). Will only but in Perth for two years, then coming back to the states. I could open an AA credit card to get 50k points from that in the US. Haven't found any credit cards in Australia the I can transfer points to AA. Or open a credit card in australia and earn points for Quantas.

So trying to decide if its better to sign up for Quantas, earn from flights and also miles earned from credit cards in Australia. OR Sign up for AA, earn miles from flights, and some points from credit cards.

Any Advice from the Experts?

upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, better award access

Will fly from Perth to the US twice a year

Premium Economy, possibly occasionally Business

Can make reccomendations but usually go with the cheapest, probably Quantas

Seems like Quantas will be the one I will use most

Perth Airport

None right now

Have not flown from Perth yet, no preference
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I don't know whether to add condolences or congratulations... In either case welcome to an interesting city about as far as you can get from New York.

You don't say where in the USA will be your destination. The reason I ask is that Cathay is one stop to more destinations in the USA than the local brand. And while admitting that CX PEY is not quite as good as QF Y+, both credit 1.5 EQP to the AA program. OTOH the CX program does quite well with the unpublished benefits. And after getting CX SL (at 30K points) your 2 round trips PER->USA will yield at least 48K points toward the 60K required for CX Gold. Though your return to the USA moves the choice towards AA. Consider where you will be flying after the two years. The lack of a soft landing now by AA has certainly influenced my thoughts. And the changes to the AA million miler program make it a fantasy for most people just starting serious flying.
You might consider a QF account, if domestic travel on QF will be a serious part of the stay. E class, the normal domestic economy sales category credits only to QF. O and Q credit token amounts to AA and none to CX. The QF account is free if opened before arrival in Australia or in conjunction with the local grocery discount program at Woolworths(Aus).

The second thing to consider is that almost all tickets are one year tickets now and while the fall of the Aussie dollar has mitigated the insane local prices, I think you will find that exUSA pricing on PEY (or Y+) will still be lower than exPER.

I find that a night (or two) stopover in Hong Kong (same time zone as Perth) makes the entire trip more bearable.

On the credit card, consider in what currency you will be paid. If US$, then by all means get the credit card(s) before you move. But when you get here get one (or a debit card) locally for day to day usage.

YMMV but happy wandering

Fred

PS: If you add an AA connecting flight in the USA to the international long haul, that would complete the 4 AA segment requirement with no extra. OTOH almost all AA flight classes credit to CX or QF.
Originally Posted by adamg33
Hi (first time posting in flyertalk, love this site!),

I did a similar move last year, two years time in Melbourne after living in NY. I would also recommend AA while considering a few things:

1) I started with Qantas as we get lounge access and preferred prices through our company. Had no status with AA at the time. Qantas is fantastic in regards to customer support, flying experience, lounge quality, etc. Night and day compared to most of my experiences state side (literally unable to reach a person at US Airways via phone for over two years; could also legally justify murder due to insanity for half the Delta people I've interacted with; United in Newark - geez...).

Lounge access isn't that expensive though, and find that it's best value is international. Domestic lounges can get quite crowded, even though they are big, as it seems the whole country has access.

2) It is really easy to gain access to elite levels with Qantas due to their minimum points and qualifying status credits. I've rapidly accelerated to elite status (Gold, then Platinum) in under a year. While flying internally in Oz it is accessible everywhere, and of course has the oneworld alliance. They have great tools for estimating points earnings, redemption options, etc. I play with them all the time before making bookings.

3) Redemption benefits are terrible for the Qantas program. The value of points are likly 75% the value of AA points. When redeeming for flights you get hit hard twice, first in the overall number of points required for redemption, second in the taxes and fees still required on top of it. As an example, the "where could I go" section estimates that to fly round trip from Melbourne to London would require the following:

Economy: 128k points, AUD $939 in taxes, fees, and carrier charges
Premium Economy: 192k points, AUD $1331 in taxes, fees, and carrier charges
Business Class: 256k points, AUD $1642 in taxes, fees, and carrier charges
First Class: 384k points, AUD $1642 in taxes, fees, and carrier charges

The taxes and fees really bother me. For work I was quoted a $700 round trip economy flight between MEL
& SIN, ~250 for tickets and ~450 for taxes and fees. The other redemption go from a little worse (e.g. upgrades) to throwing away points (Qantas store).

From what I can tell (sorry don't have research readily accessible), AA is lower in points for redemption, much lower in fees, but will also have a bit lower earning rates. Check the AA site, most flights will have 100-150% miles flown earnings.

4) Do consider how you will be earning, in what time frame, and what your current status with AA is. Since it can be relatively quick to elite status with Qantas, if you build up elite within a year you can that try a status challenge with AA to minimize the pain of starting from scratch or not getting to a higher elite level. So if you get Qantas platinum, switch to AA gold, you can potentially get to AA exec platinum faster while getting elite oneworld benefits in the mean time. I'll be making the transfer to a challenge after the June 16th date to extend the AA status through Feb 2017. Check out other forum and blogger comments on AA challenge to learn more.

If the CC option is a good one to get points and status at AA, just jump on it from the start. Also keep in mind transfer partners for AA, such as SPG at 1:1. Qantas doesn't appear on most of these programs. Even my corporate Australian AMEX doesn't have Qantas as a partner.

I have arrived in Perth!

Forgot to mention that I do have some points with United. I am about halfway there to getting silver status with them. I flew my one way flight here on Air New Zealand, but that was to get the miles to push me to 80k FF points with United, so I can have more options free ticket to use in the future. Not really to get elite status, although in retrospect I probably should have flown oneworld here to start earning towards status points.

I will be flying from Perth back to the US twice a year on premium economy flights. Based on flights from Perth to Houston,TX (where I will be traveling to the most, occasionally Lexington KY) there are no good Star Alliance flights (most Air New Zealand flights are +8 to 10 hours longer than Quantas sad too because i really liked flying with them)

Based on your guys awesome advice I think I am going to go with AA. Hopefully I can get to elite status quickly. I will apply for an AA mileage card later and pick it up next time I am in back in the States for holiday as well as some comfort snacks!
Old May 3, 2015, 7:16 am

whoaa....didn't expect that post to be so long with all the quotes...sorry!
Old May 7, 2015, 3:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
OW FFP with no 'own metal' requirement

Morning all,

I am currently a BA silver (OW Sapphire) but with the recent changes (cheapest econ get 25% tier points) I'll struggle to maintain that, even though my normal route is LHR-JNB (with only 40 TPs per return, I'd need 15 trips = 172k BIS miles).

I probably fly around 80k BIS miles in OW each year, but that is almost all BA - so now I'm looking for an alternate OW FFP to keep status.... but one that doesn't have any 'own metal' requirement. AA would be obvious but I have no need to go to the US for work, and no inclination to MR there for fun/status - I want to be home with the kids!

Are there any OW FFPs which don't have an 'own metal' requirement?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.