Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA doesn't sound like a good fit based on the information

If the company uses CX bulk cheap tickets a lot, then it is v unlikely that those would be eligible for accrual of miles to AA ( min needs to be H class )

If using CX a lot, then need to find out what booking classes the tickets are likely to be booked in to determine which scheme might best fit; it may be simply that Asia Miles / MPC is the most appropriate

Alaska Airlines's scheme might work given that L,M and V classes on CX earn miles ( albeit at 50% )
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Vulcan
Look and ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Many discount CX fares earn nil or low miles on many ffp's including Cathay's AsiaMiles
Getting status with any airline ffp will be hard travelling on cheap CX fares

As above, AS may be a good fit due the partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:32 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Vulcan
Look and ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Many discount CX fares earn nil or low miles on many ffp's including Cathay's AsiaMiles
Getting status with any airline ffp will be hard travelling on cheap CX fares

As above, AS may be a good fit due the partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Thank you. I will get more info for the "Deciding...." thread referenced above. It may be that until he gets more regular in carriers/fare buckets he uses, that AS is the best (or until somebody scoops up AS )

However, it still leaves open the question of getting access to quality international lounges. Without status on a OW MEMBER, I don't see how to accomplish this. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:29 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm going to move this to the "Deciding" thread as it seems most relevant.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
Want to post this as a feeler to get your opinions. Im deciding between OW and *A.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
In Order: Baggage Allowance (I fly with bowling balls 2x ~51lb), Upgrades, lounge access, general service.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25000-50000 in economy. Only book higher class with miles.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Economy, cheapest.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, i book everything on my own. Bowling is sort of my job, so its a mixture of both.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
US domestic mostly (ORD and SEA to pretty much all parts of the country) with the occasional trip to Europe and Middle East and possibly a trip to Asia this coming year.

(6) What is your home airport?
ORD and SEA

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
AS MVP, with around 50k miles saved currently.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Alaska Airlines and their codeshare partners (Flew Emirates recently, but mostly AA domestic and British when connecting in Europe.)

Again, just feeling it out. The most important thing to me is the baggage allowance and by extension, the fees for overweight/extra piece. I have also flown with OW members (AA, BA, and QR) and really enjoyed the experience, which is why im more inclined to OW than *A. But again, it comes down to what fits my needs.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Tripdiculous
Want to post this as a feeler to get your opinions. Im deciding between OW and *A.

In Order: Baggage Allowance (I fly with bowling balls 2x ~51lb), Upgrades, lounge access, general service.
Baggage allowance and by extension, the fees for overweight/extra piece. I have also flown with OW members (AA, BA, and QR) and really enjoyed the experience, which is why im more inclined to OW than *A. But again, it comes down to what fits my needs.
OW has just introduced an extra baggage benefit for their mid-tier (Sapphire, 50k) elite level: FT thread, OW press release, and the fine print.

Star Alliance does not offer an equivalent baggage benefit for mid-tier elites.

You will not get lounge access on domestic itineraries flying AA/US unless you purchase AA lounge membership or get the AA Citi Executive CC ($450 annual fee).
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
OW has just introduced an extra baggage benefit for their mid-tier (Sapphire, 50k) elite level: FT thread, OW press release, and the fine print.

Star Alliance does not offer an equivalent baggage benefit for mid-tier elites.

You will not get lounge access on domestic itineraries flying AA/US unless you purchase AA lounge membership or get the AA Citi Executive CC ($450 annual fee).
Thanks for the reply and the info.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:03 am

I need some advice. I am looking for an OW carrier. My main intention is save miles for reward tickets with low or no fuel surcharge.

Reward tickets with low or no fuel surcharge

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

25000-50000 cheapest class

cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

only for pleasure

europe to asia, europe to north and latin america

ISTANBUL Turkey

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

NO

Not really

thx in advance
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:50 am

Heya guys,

Recently relocated to the UK from HK due to studies. Wasn't really in the mileage/FFP thing but now I'm "free" from my parents I'm free to do as I please. Wondering what OW program to credit flights towards? Some Q/A answered below:

Reply:Good award redemption rates and or earning rates

Reply: Less than 20,000 miles per year...depends on how many times I'll fly home or visit relatives across the pond (Canada)

As a skint student cheapest would be the best but on a super long flight I wouldn't mind splurging out a bit for Y+

Pleasure. I can choose my airlines

Longhaul to Far East, InterEuro or TransAtlantic

EDI

None

When I lived in HKG CX of course was my preferred airline. This year I took VS for HKG-LHR-EDI. Will have a return journey to take on the way back home this summer but after summer I'll be changing back to OW as VS will no longer do LHR-EDI.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrPie
Recently relocated to the UK from HK due to studies. Wasn't really in the mileage/FFP thing but now I'm "free" from my parents I'm free to do as I please. Wondering what OW program to credit flights towards?
After your studies where will be home? (If you know)
CX is not that good a ffp for low priced economy fares, especially on non CX flights.
If cost is prime factor when choosing a flight, treat ff miles, if any, as a bonus that may or may not have value in the future.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en.../airlines.html You may be able to get miles from your VS flight into 1 of the VS partner airlines ffp's (ffp tend to be reciprocal)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
After your studies where will be home? (If you know)
CX is not that good a ffp for low priced economy fares, especially on non CX flights.
If cost is prime factor when choosing a flight, treat ff miles, if any, as a bonus that may or may not have value in the future.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en.../airlines.html You may be able to get miles from your VS flight into 1 of the VS partner airlines ffp's (ffp tend to be reciprocal)
will be staying in the UK or EU at least.
Yeah I know that about CX low fares which is why I wouldn't want to bank with em. Well the return flight I'm taking later next year will be last one banked with VS. (will have enough miles for a Y to Y+ upgrade)

yeah true that. But what program should I accrue it with then? What OW program would have the best redemption rates?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But what program should I accrue it with then?
AS or VS ?
What OW program would have the best redemption rates?
Long haul AA and no award surcharges, unless on a BA flight. But earn to burn is what is important, as are the expiry rules. Short haul BA is good for many
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:02 am

QF vs AA Help

Hi all. Haven't traveled in awhile but now starting again regularly and need advise on whether to focus on the QF or AA program. Here's my info:

Decent FF redemption for economy intl flights, priority services, lounge access.

Currently flying 6 round trips per year IAH-PER. All business class. Some miscellaneous US travel but nothing significant.

Business, corporate discount fare (such as I on QF)

Work travel to PER on business is limited to corporate alliances. Currently QF, Qatar, or Emirates. Latest almost all trips have been QF, with Qatar as a distant second.

For QF - IAH-DFW-SYD-PER, for Emirates, IAH-DXB-PER, for Qatar, IAH-DOH-PER

IAH

QF gold (80k pts), AA no status (40k pts). *A Gold (UA 1 MM).

Prefer Qantas routing to PER due to less air time.

The corporate alliance always buys the QF flights as QF ticket stock, although the IAH-DFW leg is on AA metal. For US flights, being at IAH for home airport, I favor UA or Southwest for US trips, so I hardly ever fly AA directly.

My understanding is that since my tickets on QF are bought through QF, the AA metal IAH-DFW won't count towards my four segments for AA status. Is that correct?

On QF, I will easily make platinum and may even make it to platinum one, although there isn't a difference in point accumulation, etc.

My goal is to accumulate miles for international leisure travel, probably back to Australia or Asia.

If I'm correct that I can't get AA status, do the lower redemption rates on AA outweigh the lower status multipliers and lack of access to additional FF ticket inventory?

Thanks...
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by fli2wurk

My understanding is that since my tickets on QF are bought through QF, the AA metal IAH-DFW won't count towards my four segments for AA status. Is that correct?
No. These segments should count when they have the AA flight numbers on them as far as I have understood the rules.
The ticket does not need to be issued by AA for this. My AA segment counter increases with every AA operated flight even when I fly AA on a ticket bought through BA or AB.

If I'm correct that I can't get AA status, do the lower redemption rates on AA outweigh the lower status multipliers and lack of access to additional FF ticket inventory?
Seeing you live in the US, getting status on AA is just a quick one-day run to anywhere with a connection away, should those AA-on-QF-tickets-segments NOT count towards status (I'd pose this question again in the pre-merger AA forum for more input, but I sincerely believe they will count).
That'd be money well spent: Once you have attained Platinum (after the second PER flight), each subsequent trip there will net you 55,000 redeemable AA miles. AA miles are generally pretty versatile and valuable in comparison, much more so than QF miles.

The only factor that would me holding back from going to AA and staying with QF (seeing you don't travel much outside of this and as such would not be able to use the AA SWUs, complimentary upgrades and other benefits) would be the ability to upgrade a few of these DFW-SYD longhauls to F, something you would not be able to do with AA instruments.

And it's comparatively easy to attain lifetime Oneworld Sapphire status with the amount of premium cabin flying you do when crediting to QF - after 14k status credits you'll be lifetime Gold. This takes two million BIS miles on AA - which is a LOT more flying.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fli2wurk
Hi all. Haven't travelled in awhile but now starting again regularly and need advise on whether to focus on the QF or AA program. Here's my info:

Decent FF redemption for economy intl flights, priority services, lounge access...
For redemptions AA is far better than QF, and no AA award cash surcharge, unless a BA/IB award flight. QF has high cash surcharges. Look at post 330 for a comparison.

Originally Posted by bhomburg
..Seeing you live in the US, getting status on AA is just a quick one-day run to anywhere with a connection away, should those AA-on-QF-tickets-segments NOT count towards status (I'd pose this question again in the pre-merger AA forum for more input, but I sincerely believe they will count).
That'd be money well spent: Once you have attained Platinum (after the second PER flight), each subsequent trip there will net you 55,000 redeemable AA miles. AA miles are generally pretty versatile and valuable in comparison, much more so than QF miles.
Look at the AA plat challenge for faster AA status. (links in post 1 of this thread). You will need 4 flights with AA flight numbers. As you are flying business class AA status does nothing for those QF or QR flights, but you earn more miles. QF flight numbers are valid for the AA challenge. QR & CX are not
http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Challenge_%28AA%29
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

AA, QF and EK are ff partners of AS http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners

AA and EK are ff partners of QF. But EK flights are non earning for status (No SC's) For EK flights you get (some) QF points (miles). QF recently reduced the earning on non QF flights.

Go with AAdvanatge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.