FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   DFW-PEK in June - Best OW options for J or F award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1329074-dfw-pek-june-best-ow-options-j-f-award.html)

nic3456 Mar 26, 2012 7:47 am

DFW-PEK in June - Best OW options for J or F award

I just found out that I'm posibly going to Xian, China in June (probably around June 7-16) flying into Beijing.

I am trying to find the best routing/points possible to fly in Business or First Class on a award seat. At first glance I'm not finding many options.

FWIW I have:
200K American
160K BA

I also have some miles with United and US Air if that alliance works out better and some Sapphire points that I could transfer if needed.

Thanks for any help!

moondog Mar 26, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by nic3456 (Post 18275007)
I just found out that I'm posibly going to Xian, China in June (probably around June 7-16) flying into Beijing.

I am trying to find the best routing/points possible to fly in Business or First Class on a award seat. At first glance I'm not finding many options.

FWIW I have:
200K American
160K BA

I also have some miles with United and US Air if that alliance works out better and some Sapphire points that I could transfer if needed.

Thanks for any help!

I would advise you to use ba.com to check all CX gateways, starting with JFK (the easiest).

Short of that, LAX-PVG is usually a pretty easy redemption (though AA is a far cry from CX or JL in terms of service).

bennytma Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing? If it is EY has a pretty sweet J class. EY offers F JFK-AUH but not between ORD-AUH or AUH-PEK...

bennytma Mar 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Also, it would definitely not be the most comfortable ride but DFW-NRT-PEK on AA/JL but it would be the most direct.

guv1976 Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bennytma
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing? If it is EY has a pretty sweet J class. EY offers F JFK-AUH but not between ORD-AUH or AUH-PEK...

Not a valid routing (as a single award) with AA miles.

ernestnywang Mar 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by nic3456 (Post 18275007)

FYI, KA (subsidary of CX and OW affilate) will resume XIY service in April, so you may want to fly to XIY directly instead.

Austinrunner Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bennytma (Post 18276599)
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing?

The Middle East / Indian Subcontinent is not a valid connecting point for a North America -> Asia 2 "oneworld and other Airline" award using AA miles.

bennytma Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner (Post 18279628)
The Middle East / Indian Subcontinent is not a valid connecting point for a North America -> Asia 2 "oneworld and other Airline" award using AA miles.

Thats what I'd thought but not what I'd hoped! :)

Dr. HFH Mar 29, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bennytma (Post 18276599)
Is DFW-ORD/JFK-AUH-PEK a valid award routing?

US-Asia awards must be TPAC. Interestingly, when you check KVS for OW award availability, you often see connections through LHR; but you can't actually get them because it would violate the TPAC requirement.

Thunderroad Apr 2, 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 18279371)
FYI, KA (subsidary of CX and OW affilate) will resume XIY service in April, so you may want to fly to XIY directly instead.

If you don't need to fly via Beijing, this would seem best since CX F is the most enjoyable way to go. You'd fly AA to SFO, LAX or ORD, then CX to HKG, then KA (aka Dragon Air) to XIY. Otherwise you could fly as far as Beijing on that AA, CX and KA combo, and then hop a domestic paid flight to XIY.

I suspect that redeeming your AA miles will cost you less in extra fees than doing it with BA (now renamed Avios) miles. The only reason to redeem your Avios miles is that it costs far more to redeem them for flights to/via LHR and possibly other parts of Europe, so you might want to put them to use now.

CX award availability comes and goes. You might want to join awardnexus.com both to search for award availability (whether via CX, AA or JL) and to sign up for email alerts to let you know if the award flights you want open up.

Good luck!

KACommuter Apr 8, 2012 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 18320520)
If you don't need to fly via Beijing, this would seem best since CX F is the most enjoyable way to go. You'd fly AA to SFO, LAX or ORD, then CX to HKG, then KA (aka Dragon Air) to XIY. Otherwise you could fly as far as Beijing on that AA, CX and KA combo, and then hop a domestic paid flight to XIY.

^ CX F seems to be easily ahead of BA and AA - I have no direct experience as all my long haul F is only on CX. But if there are no KA flights to Xian, then going to HKG and on to PEK isn't worth it - best go direct to PEK via NRT.