Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Musings ORD-DEL flight on a xONEn - it's like a Circle Pacific ticket - only better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musings ORD-DEL flight on a xONEn - it's like a Circle Pacific ticket - only better

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Lightbulb Musings ORD-DEL flight on a xONEn - it's like a Circle Pacific ticket - only better

Musings ORD-DEL flight on a xONEn - makes it like a Circle Pacific ticket - only better

The wording of the rule regarding this flight is:
4(m) Nonstop transatlantic travel on AA between DEL and ORD is permitted.
For travel ex South America/South West Pacific - when this service is utilised a minimum of a 4 Continent Fare must be charged.
For travel ex North America/Asia - when this service is utilised a minimum of a 3 continent fare must be charged.
There has been previous discussion on this - see for instance 3-continent-oneworld-explorer-australia-new-zealand - where the view was that Europe was being charged for even though it wouldn't/couldn't be touched.
That discussion occurred before the on-line booking tool came along. I have been playing with itineraries using the tool and it seems that while the minimum continent rule IS applied, if you actually visit the minimum number of continents then Europe is NOT added as yet an extra one.

My musings:
The ORD-DEL flight is stated to be transatlantic – therefore the ORD-DEL is an Eastbound flight and DEL-ORD is Westbound. Taking the flight means you cannot visit, or originate from, either Africa or Europe and it of course means that you are visiting both Asia (DEL at least) and Nth America (ORD at least).

So from my playing with the on-line booking tool, it seems that:
  • If originating in either Asia or North America, you can construct itineraries that are:
  • 2-continent (Asia & Nth Am only - but you'll be charged for 3-continents)
  • 3-continent (adding either Sth Am or SWP), or
  • 4-continent (adding the other southern hemisphere continent)
  • If originating in SWP or Sth Am, you can construct itineraries that are:
  • 3-continent (home continent, Asia & Nth Am - but you'll be charged for 4-continents), or
  • In most cases, these itineraries look a lot like Circle Pacific - BUT they are under the OWE rules - which IMHO are much better than the Circle Pacific rules.
    Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:22 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
    Originally Posted by pandaperth
    So from my playing with the on-line booking tool, it seems that:
    • If originating in either Asia or North America, you can construct itineraries that are:
      • 2-continent (Asia & Nth Am only - but you'll be charged for 3-continents)
      • 3-continent (adding either Sth Am or SWP), or
    • If originating in SWP or Sth Am, you can construct itineraries that are:
      • 3-continent (home continent, Asia & Nth Am - but you'll be charged for 4-continents), or
    This is true.

Furthermore:
    • starting in Asia or N/A you can go, say, ASIA-N/A-S/A-SWP-ASIA and be charged for 4 continents.
    • starting in SWP or S/A you can go, say, SWP-xN/A-S/A-N/A-ASIA-SWP and be charged for 4 continents.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm
    Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:18 pm
    Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
    Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
    Originally Posted by serfty
    • starting in SWP or S/A you can go, say, SWP-xN/A-S/A-N/A-ASIA-SWP and be charged for 4 continents.
    Thanks panda and serfty! This allows for some really nice options. Are you sure that NA-SA-NA is allowed? I guess there is nothing in the rules preventing it if it is just a transfer.
    Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:24 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
    This is true.

Furthermore:
    • starting in Asia or N/A you can go, say, ASIA-N/A-S/A-SWP-ASIA and be charged for 4 continents.
    My thoughts on the advantages of a xONEn over a nCIRnn are:
    • can originate/terminate in any country (to/from which OW flies) in any of the four continents
    • can make use of the 2nd Nth American entry exception
    • Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America are allowed in the itinerary
    • can travel West of Thailand in Asia (in fact must travel to India)
    • no MPM considerations
    • less restrictive stopover restrictions- can have max of 2 in continent of origin, 4 in each of SWP, Sth Am and Asia, 6 in NAM and 16 segments total
    • can have multiple stopovers at a point
    • can buy on-line, with any country of origin (from/to which OW flies) in any of the 4 continents
    • can construct an itinerary that has Sth Am but does not have SWP

Last edited by pandaperth; May 24, 2021 at 1:19 am
    Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:28 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
    Thanks panda and serfty! This allows for some really nice options. Are you sure that NA-SA-NA is allowed? I guess there is nothing in the rules preventing it if it is just a transfer.
    I specifically tried such routings in the on-line tool and all appeared well. In fact the tool kept warning me that I had a second entry to NAM and that it could only be a transit - once I selected flights that satisfied the rule (CX HKG-JFK and AA JFK-EZE) the warning went away and I was able to move the booking phase
    (of course I never went through to completing the purchases - so there could be a gotcha later in the process?)

Last edited by pandaperth; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:27 am Reason: typo
    Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:47 am
    QG

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
    The real interest in this may be for folk from dunnunda who may now be able to include SWP in a xONE3 rather than have to fork out for xONE4 as in the past.
    Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:12 am
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by QG
    The real interest in this may be for folk from dunnunda who may now be able to include SWP in a xONE3 rather than have to fork out for xONE4 as in the past.
    As pointed about above - if originating dunnunder, then you'll pay a 4-continent fare, even if the itinerary is only 3-continent

On the other hand, if originating in Asia or Nth Am then you can purchase a 3-continent fare that includes those three continents (Asia, Nth Am and SWP)

Using sagy's spreadsheet:
    • LONE3 fares ex- Asia or ex-Nth Am aren't worth it; cheapest is ~AUD3,200 - compared to AUD3,699 for a LONE4 ex-Australia
    • DONE3 fares are better -cheapest are <~AUD8,000 compared to AUD11,490 for a DONE4 ex-Aus
    Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:52 am
    QG

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
    Ah - righto! In that case long live the DONE3s ex-DPS...
    Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:37 am

Am I missing something, but a DONE4 ex-Israel is $7200 while a DONE3 ex-DPS is $8537? Maybe ex-MNL at $7905 is a better comparison. Unless getting to Israel (or Jordan for that matter) is more than the price difference.

Editted to add: The date on the fare estimates is now 1-Jun-2010. I think there was a price increase on that date. I vaguely remember that the Israel and Jordan prices being lower than currently listed.
    Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
    I was under the impression that even with ORD-DEL-HKG-USA that a xONE3 was still required. Thus including SWP would require a xONE4.

The rules state area 1 - area 2 - area 3 in sequence (forward or backward). Which paraphrases what serfty stated above. Even so the LONE4 ex NZ is still a bargain.

Perhaps wandering too far

Fred
    Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:48 am
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
    I was under the impression that even with ORD-DEL-HKG-USA that a xONE3 was still required. Thus including SWP would require a xONE4.

The rules state area 1 - area 2 - area 3 in sequence (forward or backward). Which paraphrases what serfty stated above. Even so the LONE4 ex NZ is still a bargain.

Perhaps wandering too far

Fred
    From my playing with the on-line tool, it appears that you can construct a xONE3 that includes one southern hemisphere continent (either SWP or Sth Am) plus Asia and Nth Am - this provided you orginate in either Asia or Nth AM; if you originate in the southern hemishere continent, then you are up for a xONE4
    To repeat - the wording of the rule is:
    4(m) Nonstop transatlantic travel on AA between DEL and ORD is permitted.
    For travel ex South America/South West Pacific - when this service is utilised a minimum of a 4 Continent Fare must be charged.
    For travel ex North America/Asia - when this service is utilised a minimum of a 3 continent fare must be charged.
    Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:47 pm

So this means with optimizing NA segments you should be able to reach 60000 base miles in a three continent with this great find, Cudos to PANDAPERTH, for example I have 56811 but not optimized in NA

CGK-NRT-DEL-ORD-ANC-DFW-JFK-YVR-DFW-EZE-LIM-IPC-SCL-JFK-HKG-NRT-CGK, I guess you could swap IPC for Caracas

Prices up at 9158 USD with taxes of 617.00 not bad especially if you AUD could get back into the 90's, still can't see me moving my expensive travel from the lovely US airways promo's
    Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:27 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
    Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
    NICE!

Originally Posted by pandaperth
    As pointed about above - if originating dunnunder, then you'll pay a 4-continent fare, even if the itinerary is only 3-continent

On the other hand, if originating in Asia or Nth Am then you can purchase a 3-continent fare that includes those three continents (Asia, Nth Am and SWP)

Using sagy's spreadsheet:
    • LONE3 fares ex- Asia or ex-Nth Am aren't worth it; cheapest is ~AUD3,200 - compared to AUD3,699 for a LONE4 ex-Australia
    • DONE3 fares are better -cheapest are <~AUD8,000 compared to AUD11,490 for a DONE4 ex-Aus
    Living down under myself, I've been using A/D CIRC22/26's to get back and forth between SYD, SFO and YYZ, but now ex-NRT or ex-ICN gets me much more mileage at around the same cost. DONE3 ex-ICN works out to about $7800CDN, which is about what it costs for a DCIRC22, but I usually need to get the DCIRC26's with my itineraries.

Great work...thanks!
    Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:41 pm
    Original Poster

Ah well...

AA it seems is to drop its ORD-DEL service, and so it will no longer be possible to have an xONE3 that includes a southern hemisphere continent (SAM or SWP), or an xONE4 that comprises NAM-SAM-SWP-ASA

I wonder if anyone actually purchased such an itinerary?

So - it's back to every xONEn having to include Europe
    at least until MH joins, and then only if it still has its CPT-EZE service
    (but IIRC that also is to be dropped)

Last edited by pandaperth; May 24, 2021 at 1:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.