Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Same plane turn in TLV (BA 165/164) possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same plane turn in TLV (BA 165/164) possible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm curious why you didn't use the international transfer area? (I've seen the sign for one, but have no idea if/when it works.)
I hired Royal VIP to make sure I made my flight. They got me from the door of my plane to the departure lounge in 20 minutes. I didn't care how they got me there.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Did this today

My ex-TLV DONEx ended with MAD-TLV today, connecting on a separate ticket TLV-MAD. My partner was an award that included MAD-TLV-MAD. We were booked on the IB flight that was scheduled to land at 5 AM, connecting to the same-plane return flight at 6 AM. (Listed minimum connect time for IB-IB is 1 hour.)

We checked in on-line 24 hours ahead for our first flight, to MAD, and boarding passes for that and the MAD-TLV printed, but not TLV-MAD. I assumed it was because that flight was more than 24 hours away. When we arrived in MAD the lounge attendant and transfer desk agent tried to print our boarding passes for TLV-MAD but couldn't, saying the flight was closed or locked, and they were unable to do anything. Iberia.com just printed an error message that the BPs couldn't be printed "for operational reasons" and to try back in 30 minutes. I asked the transfer desk agent to contact Iberia in TLV and ask them to let us know how to transit to make the connection (since I'd read on FT that the transfer area is little used), which she did but told us not to expect a response, as TLV would either do something or not, but wouldn't let us know.

The MAD-TLV flight was delayed due to mechanical issues; we ended up landing about 15 minutes late. The door of the plane was met by a staffer who asked for us (we were first in line to exit anyway) and handed us a printout of our onward connections (which I didn't even look at in our rush), and left.

After deplaning, we followed the signs for the exit, and when we got to the international transit area, we went in. We weren't sure it was open or in use, since the first thing we came to was a row of passport control booths, all closed and dark. We walked through, around a corner, and entered a baggage drop room. Attached was a room with a single x-ray machine in the middle, and a single walk-through metal detector, all by itself. On the wall was a phone, and a sign instructing transfer passengers to call one of two extensions. We did, explained the situation, and within 10 minutes a security person arrived. He listed to our explanation for why we were connecting MAD-TLV-MAD, and was genuinely interested in the xONEx concept and pricing. He also told us that an Iberia staffer and a security screener would be there shortly. Two security screeners arrived within 5 minutes. They also listened to our explanation, x-rayed the bags one by one, had us walk through the metal detector, asked us typical questions (did we pack the bags ourselves, were they in our control the whole time, etc.) and declared us screened.

The Iberia staffer soon arrived, and told us we'd been proactively moved to the 5 PM El Al flight. She insisted it was because "the minimum connect time is one and a half hours, not one hour, and the computer detected this and moved us," but this didn't make sense to me, since the reservation had been fine and we had been confirmed on the flight for six months. More likely, in my view, is that the computer (or maybe a person) noticed that the MAD-TLV flight was delayed and assumed we'd miss our connection (which was still listed as on time). Or, perhaps the most likely of all, maybe the message from the transfer desk at MAD caused someone in TLV to take the action. When I pointed out that we could still make the 6 AM flight, we were told our seats had been given away.

The original security person and the Iberia agent conferred, and offered us the chance to try to get on the 7:30 AM Iberia flight to MAD (which we couldn't book in the first place as there was no U space) but cautioned that it might be in coach. Figuring 4.5 hours in coach was no worse than 11 hours in the poor TLV lounge, we agreed.

The original security person explained that no one was allowed to leave the transfer room without an onward boarding pass, but offered to walk us to the Iberia gate to see if we'd make it on the 7:30 AM flight. If so, we'd get our BPs, and if not, he'd walk us back and we'd get ones on the LY flight. We did manage to get on the IB flight, and one of us even got a J seat.

So, the transfer area does work, and shouldn't be more than 30 minutes or so including waiting. But, I wouldn't book another 1 hour connection.

Aside: I noticed that the print-out given to us by the agent at the door of the plane showed us booked in J on LY, and the final BPs on IB showed us in Y and J. However, neither of our BPs had our FF numbers (or status). I wonder if we'd have gotten credit for a Y and J flight if they had?

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 12, 2012 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks. Very interesting to hear how this works in TLV.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Thanks. Very interesting to hear how this works in TLV.
Just want to make sure folks are reading the whole thread. I hired a service for what I thought was a reasonable fee and found that it worked very well -- from arrival to departure lounge in 20 minutes. I've used them twice now, and found it worked great both times.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Just want to make sure folks are reading the whole thread. I hired a service for what I thought was a reasonable fee and found that it worked very well -- from arrival to departure lounge in 20 minutes. I've used them twice now, and found it worked great both times.
I certainly read your report and considered the service, but decided it was too expensive. That's a very subjective call of course.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:25 pm

I have also used the service that BLUMIE has used.. They are excellent, and IMHO well worth the price...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
(Listed minimum connect time for IB-IB is 1 hour.)
The Iberia staffer soon arrived, and told us we'd been proactively moved to the 5 PM El Al flight. She insisted it was because "the minimum connect time is one and a half hours, not one hour, and the computer detected this and moved us," but this didn't make sense to me, since the reservation had been fine and we had been confirmed on the flight for six months. More likely, in my view, is that the computer (or maybe a person) noticed that the MAD-TLV flight was delayed and assumed we'd miss our connection (which was still listed as on time).
The MCT indeed is 1.5 hour instead of 1. Either IB's system (Amadeus) did not detect this problem, or the rules has recently been changed.

Code:
T*CT-TLV/IBIB/II«
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.  
ONLINE    .20  1.30  1.30  1.30  
OFFLINE   .20  1.30  1.30  1.30  
** OR * ARE ALL  
**-IB II SUP   ALL  - FLT 5000 - 5999   
IB-** II SUP   FLT 5000 - 5999 - ALL    
**-** II  3.00 INTER SDV - TLV   
**-** II  2.30 INTER TLV - SDV
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
The MCT indeed is 1.5 hour instead of 1. Either IB's system (Amadeus) did not detect this problem, or the rules has recently been changed.

Code:
T*CT-TLV/IBIB/II«
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.  
ONLINE    .20  1.30  1.30  1.30  
OFFLINE   .20  1.30  1.30  1.30  
** OR * ARE ALL  
**-IB II SUP   ALL  - FLT 5000 - 5999   
IB-** II SUP   FLT 5000 - 5999 - ALL    
**-** II  3.00 INTER SDV - TLV   
**-** II  2.30 INTER TLV - SDV
Must have changed in the past six months; I had checked the EF info and challenged the AA agent to be sure the connection was legal. Still, I've not heard of a computer automatically rebooking an already e-ticketed reservation that fell below the MCT, and the fact that a few hours beforehand we were still booked, but when we landed we weren't, makes me think it was the request to IB TLV that triggered it.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OP here, back again to report that I did a same-plane turn in TLV once again without a problem. I couldn't find contact info for the service I used last time, but through a google search I found this service, which worked identically. (Note that although it's advertised on the El Al website, one does not need to be flying El Al to use the service.) I went from the plane to the lounge without having to answer a single question of the immigration and custom folks; I simply had to respond to the normal security questions one is asked when checking in on the departures level. Due to the Passover holiday, the airport was much more crowded than the last time I did this, but still I went from the door of the plane to the departure lounge in about 35 minutes (compared to 20 minutes the last time I did it).
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
OP here, back again to report that I did a same-plane turn in TLV once again without a problem.
Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.