Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Mexicana files for bankruptcy - info & advice [merged]

Mexicana files for bankruptcy - info & advice [merged]

Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
The article states that Click and Link will shut down as well. I thought these two were doing well. Why are they closing down with MX?
Maybe creditors need the colletaral?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:03 am

I am booked on the lon-mex flight on the 9th. October - i would have preferred a refund and rebooked elsewhere - but I have been told to wait until the end of August... and see what happens !!!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AA
collateral

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Maybe creditors need the colletaral?
"need" is probably the wrong word. "really really really really want" is more accurate.

Talk about a quick crash and burn.

Pun intended.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:44 pm

Advice for Mexicana flights?

Hi all,

I have a flight scheduled for Oct 8 to San Jose, CR on Mexicana, and a return on Oct 15. The flights have been "suspended" but not technically canceled. They are now telling us that we just have to wait and see what happens. Here's my question: is it worth waiting to see if they recover and reinstate my "suspended" flights? Or if we wait until the company announces its dissolution are ticket prices going to go through the roof? Right now they're $400 round trip. Has anybody been through this experience? Will they jump significantly? Will they sell out?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by southleft
Hi all,

I have a flight scheduled for Oct 8 to San Jose, CR on Mexicana, and a return on Oct 15. The flights have been "suspended" but not technically canceled. They are now telling us that we just have to wait and see what happens. Here's my question: is it worth waiting to see if they recover and reinstate my "suspended" flights? Or if we wait until the company announces its dissolution are ticket prices going to go through the roof? Right now they're $400 round trip. Has anybody been through this experience? Will they jump significantly? Will they sell out?

Thanks for the help.
Hi Southleft,
With the ways things are looking I'd say pull the trigger because the more news stories I am reading each day the worst it's getting so I'd buy a new one now since it isn't going to get any cheaper.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...njunction.html
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Any update on Mexicana? Two days ago, CubsFanJohn said that it could be as little as 48 hours before shutdown.

UPDATE: I did my own research (thank you very much) and found this press release: http://cmainforma.com/cma-informs/ Below is the full text

ITINERARY CHANGES
Published 08 August 10, 21:30 CDT Mexico City
UPDATED: 17 August 10, 22:00 CDT Mexico City

As part of the temporary phasing out of flights announced by Grupo Mexicana on Sunday, August 8, flights operated by all three of the group's airlines will be subjected to changes as of midnight, Wednesday, August 18.

Please note that no destinations will be canceled as a result of the changes scheduled to come into effect on August 18, although fewer flights will be available on certain routes.

In the interests of passengers, Grupo Mexicana and its employees are making every effort to ensure the company continues operating. Grupo Mexicana regrets and apologizes for any inconvenience these changes may cause passengers.

Should you require further information, we suggest you visit this website frequently.

The following flights will be suspended as of Wednesday, August 18. Please note that although fewer flights will be available on these routes, they will remain operational.
The suspended flights are all/mostly international flights - you'll have to click the link if you want the list.

So it seems that Mexicana is still fully operational, but with fewer international flights.

Last edited by ramalama8; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:11 am
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
the main Mexicana website does not appear to be available any more...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
the main Mexicana website does not appear to be available any more...
Maybe it's your internet connection - I pulled it up just fine
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:12 pm

MH88, if MX cannot transport you between SJC and GDL, I'm thinking that AA might be able to help you since they are in the oneworld Alliance with MX. All you can do right now is "wait and see". You should probably know MX's future before your trip in November. I'm in a similar situation for February: flying LAX to Morelia on Volaris, then scheduled back on Mexicana into LA (yep, better price and schedule doing it that way). As far as booking on Volaris on the way to GDL is concerned, that's entirely up to you, but in my situation for February I'm going to see if MX fails (or flies). If the former, I'm hoping that AA will honor my return ticket from MLM to LAX even if it involves flying via DFW. Or, AeroMexico might offer to transport me back to LAX (via MEX), but they might only do that IF the Mexican government requires Mexico-based airlines to honor Mexicana's tickets and only if they fly to the exact same airports indicated on the ticket! Of course, I'm anticipating that I'll know that well before I go to Morelia AND I might be able to get my money back from my credit card company if MX fails and no other airline will honor my tickets. In the meantime, buen viaje!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I just got an Schedule Change Notification from MX for flights I have booked in late Oct/Nov, ORD/MEX/TUXTLA and return. The change for a 5 minute time change on the return flight. DO this mean anything?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by upgraded
DO this mean anything?
Well it means your departure time was changed by 5 minutes.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Maybe it's your internet connection - I pulled it up just fine
hmmm, I wonder why Australia would be blocked? I still cannot get into the main page either directly or from the One World site
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Things are getting more interesting now, apparently Mexicana is going to return 40% of it's leased fleet.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...%%20Of%20Fleet
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Things are getting more interesting now, apparently Mexicana is going to return 40% of it's leased fleet.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...%%20Of%20Fleet
They're going to have to cut back on their flight a lot more than they've already done
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:07 pm

This just in: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2117726720100821

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.