Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Thanks. I have read thepointsguy articles earlier.

I do search by leg. But if I look at MIA-SCL, it only gives me AA options searching several times through the next year, not LAN. If there were LAN availability, I take it then it would show that option as well?

Edit: I see now for a day where both LAN and AA are shown, so I answered my own question. Thanks.
You can use Qantas too, sometimes Lan is available on Qantas but not on BA and sometimes Lan is available on BA but not on Qantas
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by fedechat
You can use Qantas too, sometimes Lan is available on Qantas but not on BA and sometimes Lan is available on BA but not on Qantas
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:47 pm

Is there any way to add GIG, BOG and Galapagos island to this South American trip?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by vupadhayay
Is there any way to add GIG, BOG and Galapagos island to this South American trip?
No GPS, what you can do is (if your main hub is MIA)

MIA/LAX/SFO-SCL-GIG

GIG-SCL-GYE-BOG-MIA

GPS is not a valid destination on BA, you may have to call in order to get

GYE-GPS-GYE for 20k BA or 20k km LAN PASS, if you have some SPG points, it will cost just 10K SPG points in order to get 20k LAN Pass Kms or 20K SPG for 45k Lan Pass Kms (in case you need 2 awards)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:20 pm

MIA/LAX/SFO-SCL-GIG

GIG-SCL-GYE-BOG-MIA

GYE-GPS-GYE for 20k BA or 20k km LAN PASS, if you have some SPG points, it will cost just 10K SPG points in order to get 20k LAN Pass Kms or 20K SPG for 45k Lan Pass Kms (in case you need 2 awards)
BOG-MIA is on LAN?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the shared experiences on the thread. Just tried booking LAX-EZE//AEP-IGR-AEP//EZE-LAX, agent couldn't do it, saying AEP-IGR is operated by a codeshare that they can't book on. Guess I'll try the old hang up and call again trick...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
BOG-MIA is on LAN?
Yes, check LA570

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Thanks for the shared experiences on the thread. Just tried booking LAX-EZE//AEP-IGR-AEP//EZE-LAX, agent couldn't do it, saying AEP-IGR is operated by a codeshare that they can't book on. Guess I'll try the old hang up and call again trick...
Tell him that AEP-IGR is operated by Lan Argentina (4M) wich is part Lan Airlines/OneWorld, same thing for Lan Peru and Lan Ecuador (LP, XL, LA, 4M)

You can get more information here (click on LAN section "Show extra information")

http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_us#

you may try

LAX-LIM-IGU(stop)/IGR-AEP

AEP/EZE-SCL-LAX or AEP/EZE-LIM-LAX and you can stop in MDZ or COR on AEP-SCL leg ^

please bring me some alfajores (Capital del Espacio dulce de leche)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:51 pm

MIA/LAX/SFO-SCL-GIG

GIG-SCL-GYE-BOG-MIA

Thanks! Guess I'll need to do two South American trips. The other one involving IPC, EZE and LIM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:09 pm

Hey everyone,

Like many on this board, I have 100k British Airways miles that I am looking to use. I've read this thread with much interest. I'll be taking a 3-month sabbatical from my job in the spring and really want to use my BA miles to visit South America for the very first time--I'd like to make something of a grand tour of it. I've been playing around with routings but want to make sure there's not something I'm missing. Something about my general preferences--the destinations I'm most interested in in South America in order from most interested to least interested:

1. CUZ (or an airport that I can get a cheapish round trip to and from--want to do Machu Picchu for sure)
2. IPC
3. EZE (or surrounding area)
4. GYE (or UIO)
5. SCL
6. BOG
7. LPB
8. MDZ
9. CCS

Obviously, there is NO WAY to get in all 9 and I'm not even sure I would want to try--I'm just looking to maximize my stopovers and want to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity to add one in a way I hadn't considered!

I'm leaving from NYC/JFK if that makes any difference but can fly to a different city if it positions me better.

So far the best routing I've been able to come up with has been:

JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL-GYE-JFK

To that I'd add paid round-trips from LIM to CUZ and from either EZE or SCL to MDZ.

Will that routing work? Any easy pickups I'm missing, either through additional stopovers or relatively low-cost round-trip tickets I can buy out of pocket?

Thanks so much. I am still new to this but have learned so much from this thread!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RobFromCT
Hey everyone,

Like many on this board, I have 100k British Airways miles that I am looking to use. I've read this thread with much interest. I'll be taking a 3-month sabbatical from my job in the spring and really want to use my BA miles to visit South America for the very first time--I'd like to make something of a grand tour of it. I've been playing around with routings but want to make sure there's not something I'm missing. Something about my general preferences--the destinations I'm most interested in in South America in order from most interested to least interested:

1. CUZ (or an airport that I can get a cheapish round trip to and from--want to do Machu Picchu for sure)
2. IPC
3. EZE (or surrounding area)
4. GYE (or UIO)
5. SCL
6. BOG
7. LPB
8. MDZ
9. CCS

Obviously, there is NO WAY to get in all 9 and I'm not even sure I would want to try--I'm just looking to maximize my stopovers and want to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity to add one in a way I hadn't considered!

I'm leaving from NYC/JFK if that makes any difference but can fly to a different city if it positions me better.

So far the best routing I've been able to come up with has been:

JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL-IPC
IPC-SCL-GYE-JFK

To that I'd add paid round-trips from LIM to CUZ and from either EZE or SCL to MDZ.

Will that routing work? Any easy pickups I'm missing, either through additional stopovers or relatively low-cost round-trip tickets I can buy out of pocket?

Thanks so much. I am still new to this but have learned so much from this thread!
MDZ is a short hop from SCL, and enroute between AEP and SCL. It's worth asking BAEC about adding it as a valid stopover between AEP and SCL, as I don't think that it adds very much mileage at all.

What's the special attraction of GYE? If the goal is to reach UIO, LAN has lots of services into and out of UIO directly. If the goal is the Galapagos, then I think that a separate intra-country BAEC reward from GYE to GPS will be required.

[Before calling BAEC, don't forget to do your segment-by-segment redemption research first on ba.com to find available dates and flight times. ime, BAEC telephone reps are great in booking what you already know is available, but not at all good in helping you plan your trip for you from scratch....]
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:05 pm

Thanks for the tip on Mendoza. I will definitely look into that.
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
What's the special attraction of GYE? If the goal is to reach UIO, LAN has lots of services into and out of UIO directly. If the goal is the Galapagos, then I think that a separate intra-country BAEC reward from GYE to GPS will be required.
The ultimate goal is Galapagos, and my understanding is that flights from GYE are cheaper than flights from UIO. But I will definitely look into the UIO option since it might have better availability.

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:45 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
@Rob:
FYI if you book TACA through Expedia the non-resident fee for TACA is waived. I paid $68.20 total this past spring LIM-CUZ roundtrip. Don't forget to check Tripadvisor, the restaurants in cusco were amazing! (Incanto). You're still gonna dish out from cusco to machu picchu that train is a rip off because that is the biggest tourist attraction in Peru.

Lima is also worth a visit stopover if you can for 2-3 days. Stay in miraflores!

Also trying to book a trip to SA... need to book before rate changes. I have to get to GRU at some point still have no idea what I'm gonna book...

I've read around not many people stop in BOG or CCS, any specific reasons?

Some LAN routes
Buenos aires/iguazu
buenos aires/mendoza
buenos aires/puerto madryn
santiago/easter island
el salvador/santiago
miami/quito
miami/bogota
miami/caracas
miami/santiago
miami/lima
caracas/santiago
quito/bogota
santiago/sao paulo
sao paulo/lima
sao paulo/rio

Last edited by caGALINDO; Sep 2, 2011 at 10:17 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by cagalindo
@Rob:

FYI if you book TACA through Expedia the non-resident fee for TACA is waived. I paid $68.20 total this past spring LIM-CUZ roundtrip. Don't forget to check Tripadvisor, the restaurants in cusco were amazing! (Incanto) Lima is also worth a visit stopover if you can for 2-3 days. Stay in miraflores!

You're still gonna dish out from cusco to machu picchu that train is a rip off because that is the biggest tourist attraction in Peru.
Do you have sample dates? $68 is a steal. I can't find TACA at that price on expedia.com.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:31 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by abcx
Do you have sample dates? $68 is a steal. I can't find TACA at that price on expedia.com.
well this is what we had..

Total ticket
cost:
$48.00

Taxes & Fees:
$20.20

Airfare total:
$68.20

Lima (LIM) to Cusco (CUZ)
03/10/11
10:10 AM - 11:30 AM
TACA 9 Operated By: TRANS AMERICAN AIRLINES - TACA PERU

Cusco (CUZ) to Lima (LIM)
03/13/11
12:10 PM - 1:30 PM
TACA 10 Operated By: TRANS AMERICAN AIRLINES - TACA PERU
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
I'm trying to go to Argentina but add an IPC destination... since its the same cost..

I know a JFK-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-JFK would be valid since its the same direction, but I'm trying to add the IPC on the return

JFK-SCL (conex)-EZE (stopover)-SCL-IPC(dest)-SCL-JFK...

would that be valid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.