Jellyfish

Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:54 am
tyn
Original Poster

Jellyfish

Am planning a trip to Queensland and Gold Coast around NYE.
Is there an actual risk that we will not be able to swim in the sea because of jellyfish?
My previous trip in the area was in August and we never had any problem, but I know that the story is different during the winter.
Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by tyn
Am planning a trip to Queensland and Gold Coast around NYE.
Is there an actual risk that we will not be able to swim in the sea because of jellyfish?
My previous trip in the area was in August and we never had any problem, but I know that the story is different during the winter.
Thanks!
NYE is summer in Australia.

The box jellyfish lives in the tropics and the Gold Coast is what we regard as sub-tropical. As far as I know it has not been sighted much further south than Gladstone which is about 400Km north of where you will be swimming.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by DI542
NYE is summer in Australia.

The box jellyfish lives in the tropics and the Gold Coast is what we regard as sub-tropical. As far as I know it has not been sighted much further south than Gladstone which is about 400Km north of where you will be swimming.
We will be visiting Australia's east coast next June (beginning of Australian winter). Given their choice, our kids can spend the entire day playing on th beach and splashing in the shallow water (they snorkel a little bit in the shallows). Are jelly fish something we have to worry about. FWIW, we will be spending time around Sydney and up near Cairns & Port Douglas.

Thanks,

Onedog
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by onedog
We will be visiting Australia's east coast next June (beginning of Australian winter). Given their choice, our kids can spend the entire day playing on th beach and splashing in the shallow water (they snorkel a little bit in the shallows). Are jelly fish something we have to worry about. FWIW, we will be spending time around Sydney and up near Cairns & Port Douglas.

Thanks,

Onedog
Jellyfish shouldn't be an issue in June and are never an issue in Sydney, although some beaches are prone to blue bottles, but these are much less of an issue than jellyfish (compare a honey bee to a horney). There are netted areas though where you can swim all year round.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not that you'll be swimming in Sydney in June.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.