FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Australia high season/low season (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/685503-australia-high-season-low-season.html)

mahasamatman Apr 23, 2007 1:51 am

Australia high season/low season

Since Search doesn't work for phrases...

What are the dates for high season vs low season for airfares to Australia? Are they airline-dependent? Thanks.

PDX_Roy Apr 23, 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 7625051)
Since Search doesn't work for phrases...

What are the dates for high season vs low season for airfares to Australia? Are they airline-dependent? Thanks.

Mid April through August for lower air fares. I was in Australia May 2005 and I didn't realize how school holidays were scheduled. Next time I will go low season plus time the school breaks when school resumes. Australia schools have a cycle of 8 weeks of classes then a 2 week break.

number_6 Apr 23, 2007 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 7625051)
...What are the dates for high season vs low season for airfares to Australia? Are they airline-dependent? Thanks.

They are airline dependent. Also some airlines (hint: UA) sell consolidator tickets that are up to 40% below the listed price (but don't earn FF miles). You need to buy from a consolidator (easy to find on the web).

mahasamatman Apr 24, 2007 2:43 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 7626342)
40% below the listed price (but don't earn FF miles).

Perish the thought! We need those miles for status. Would you happen to know UA's definition of "low season" or know where I could find it?

serfty Apr 24, 2007 6:35 am

Maybe just a simple online pricing using dummy bookings over a series of 1 week bands would do the trick; at the very least give you an idea.

As for Oz School holidays, they are where the prices go up.

For east cost Oz, Feb-Mar tends to give the best combination of price / better weather (unless you are looking to Ski, when everything costs +++)

valve bouncer Apr 24, 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by PDX_Roy (Post 7626308)
Mid April through August for lower air fares. I was in Australia May 2005 and I didn't realize how school holidays were scheduled. Next time I will go low season plus time the school breaks when school resumes. Australia schools have a cycle of 8 weeks of classes then a 2 week break.

Generally it's 10 weeks on, then 2 weeks off but it varies from state to state. Consult the web-sites of the respective state education departments for the specific dates.

serfty May 13, 2007 10:49 pm

In Victoria this year the terms are Jan30-Mar30, Apr16-Jun29, Jul16-Sep21 & Oct8-Dec21.

The other states are similar but can vary be a week or two.

A full list is available here: School term dates 2007