Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

48 hours in Perth. Day trip to Margaret River, just Perth/Freo, or what?

Old May 12, 2007, 9:18 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I thought I ought to see the other side of Australia for once, so on an upcoming work trip (end of May), I scheduled 24 hours at Ayers Rock/Uluru and then 48 hours in Perth before flying back to Sydney.

I fly into Perth on Day 1 at 4pm, fly out again on Day 3 at 4pm. Have been trying to figure out whether I should take a car and drive down to Margaret River to see the coast, or just stick around Perth and Fremantle? I'm not too sure what other options there are within a manageable radius for such a short visit.

I've looked briefly at this thread too: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=perth

Do any of you have any interesting advice on what to do with this short trip?
Old May 13, 2007, 6:23 am

It'll take minimum 3 hours to get down there. Rottnest Island might be a better bet for a day trip with the time frame you have.
Old May 13, 2007, 6:29 am

Rottnest Island is nice in a "oooh. beautiful. nature" kind of way, but IMHO there isn't much to do as a single over there once you get over there! Much better place to visit with your partner or family I think.

Fremantle is a nice laid back area and close enough to Perth. A decent (1/2 day?) trip with sights like the museum (and the Little Creatures Brewery!). I havn't been to Margaret River before.
Old May 13, 2007, 4:43 pm
TA
Original Poster

Maybe I can entertain myself enough with just Perth and Freo. My plan with Margaret River would have been to drive just after arriving Day 1, get a place to stay, spend Day 2 leisurely, and then drive back Day 3. But that doesn't leave much time to see Perth itself, so I'm not exactly sure yet.

I'm not fixated on the wineries, and stuff like that, so I could stop somewhere a little closer that's equally interesting. Speaking of, I have been feeling lately that it is a little odd to go to all these places by myself. You sort of wonder before you plan something, whether it seems a little odd.

For example, on the 24 hour stop in Ayers Rock, everyone says to go to the Sounds of Silence dinner. First of all, it's $149. For dinner. But then also, as a single traveler, it feels a little self-indulgent to be eating a meal like that on your own. (I suppose there will be friendly people at the table to talk to, but still). Watching the sun set on the rock from a quiet place with a beer is fine with me, by comparison.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I've got a free night this week in Perth May 16 and day and night on May 17. Never been before. If you will be there then we can hang out together. Any other FTers going to be around?
Old May 14, 2007, 4:50 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Yes, will probably be there. The Margaret River is a must if you are a wine enthusiast (or large surf enthusiast) otherwise there are some pretty wineries in the Swan Valley in Perth itself, and there's a boat-trip up the Swan River each day at 10am which takes in some wineries and can be a lot of fun.

Kings' Park is worth a visit, also Freo. Rottnest is a nice day-outing. The Perth Mint opposite my office has a gold-pouring demonstration every day.

There's some resorts up and down the coast within 1 or 2 hours drive, with spectacular beaches, seals, dolphins, whales etc. If you're interested in geology there's some pointy rocks called the pinnacles.

This time of year Perth can get quite cold, probably not beach weather.
Old May 15, 2007, 5:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by harryhv
The Perth Mint opposite my office has a gold-pouring demonstration every day.
I walked past today. Looks like they have the pouring each hour from about 10AM to 3PM. Might catch it tomorrow.

I'm considering going on the Swan Valley Winery Experience offered by Out & About. Anyone have any experience with it?

Any restaurant recommendations for Perth?
Old May 15, 2007, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You may not need a car. I was there for a couple of days last year without one; no problem.

I took a one-day tour of the Margaret River area. A long day: we left early morning, got back after dark, but it was one of the highlights. I used Pinnacle Tours, but there are others. Booked it at a booking agency somewhere on the Hay Street Mall. (I still have a coupon good for 10% off a Pinnacle tour; if you think you might be able to use it, PM me your postal address.)

You can get to Fremantle easily by Transperth train. You can also get around Perth easily by bus. However, I rented a bicycle somewhere near the river (suggested by a seatmate on the inbound flight; great idea). Any local, or the tourist office, can probably tell you exactly where if that sort of thing is your style.
Old May 15, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Any restaurant recommendations for Perth?
Annalakshimi upstairs at the ferry terminal. Wonderful vegetarian Indian food prepared by volunteers from an Indian sect who believe in the sanctitiy of .. feeding people. Eat as much as you can, pay on exit, whatever you can afford. No alcohol though, get tanked up first at the Lucky Shag bar alongside if necessary.
Old May 16, 2007, 3:39 pm
TA
Original Poster

thanks for all these replies. I leave next week, so I'll try some of these ideas!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.