Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in Australia - driving on the left, speeding & parking fines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by iahphx
In Europe, I've had a few cars with built-in GPS's that displayed the speed limit for the stretch of road I'm on: I hope this becomes common, as it's quite helpful to a driver in a country with prevalent electronic-speed monitoring.
I purchased a navman before my last US trip and it had speed notifications and speed alerts built in (although I turned the alerts off as there was no tolerance and driving with traffic flow could set it off). Cost around $150.

In my car which also has speed alerts (although you need to manually set it) I tend to set it to 5km higher than the speed limit. So if it's a 110km/h road, I'll set it to 115km/h. Otherwise I find that it's either going off every 2 minutes, or I'm not driving with the traffic flow (which to me is more important than keeping my eye's focused on the speedo)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by jpatokal

But traffic fines are local affairs, the federal police (and immigration) have better things to do. You'd probably run into problems eg. getting a driver's license in Australia, but you're not going to get arrested at the border.

Also, if you're just transiting Australia on your way somewhere else, you're going to stay in the airside area and will not even going to pass through immigration.
If you do enter the country, they can prevent you from leaving the country until the unpaid fines are paid.

Worse case would be that under the NZ/AU infomation shareing you would be preventing from leaveing NZ till the fine is paid.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
If you do enter the country, they can prevent you from leaving the country until the unpaid fines are paid.

Worse case would be that under the NZ/AU infomation shareing you would be preventing from leaveing NZ till the fine is paid.
This isn't correct for australia. This information is not shared from the issuing authorities (state/local) and immigration (federal) and immigration officials cannot detain someone for an unpaid speeding fine.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
In Europe, I've had a few cars with built-in GPS's that displayed the speed limit for the stretch of road I'm on: I hope this becomes common, as it's quite helpful to a driver in a country with prevalent electronic-speed monitoring.
This is all fine until the speed limit on a certain stretch of road is reduced and the information takes some time to get into the GPS manufacturer's database. Meanwhile, the police need to make some cash by monitoring that road very carefully.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: KL, EY, QF
Originally Posted by bensyd
The most likely outcome is that it is eventually sold to a collection agency to try and recover.

I agree with the rest of your post too. The only drivers worse than Australians are Americans.
In fairness to Australians it's the system that is the problem, not them. Most Australians want to be safe drivers but have never had the proper training and are certainly brainwashed from government advertising that obeying speed limits alone will make them safe drivers.

I guess the difference for me is that I'm an Australian citizen. I've heard from many people that with enough unpaid fines you end up with a warrant out for your arrest, the last thing I would want is a criminal record when I go back to live one day.

Yeah, this focus on technology to micro-manage driving speed -- and generate revenue for gov't -- has become quite problematic to me as someone who drives in about 20 different countries each year. When you're unfamiliar with the local laws, it's still pretty easy to determine for yourself what a safe speed limit is. But when there are cameras everywhere, it's difficult to know where the speed traps are, and whether you're going to get a ticket for travelling just a few KMs over a posted speed limit. Indeed, it's sometimes difficult to determine what that speed limit even is, especially when the gov't keeps changing it every few hundred meters (as seems to be the pattern in some Australian cities)! In Europe, I've had a few cars with built-in GPS's that displayed the speed limit for the stretch of road I'm on: I hope this becomes common, as it's quite helpful to a driver in a country with prevalent electronic-speed monitoring. In any event, it certainly makes me a less-safe driver when I'm focused on watching the speed limits instead of focusing on the safely driving the road.

I'm amazed that citizens in democracies put up with this BS (there's no real "freedom" when the gov't is using pervasive electronic means to punish you for trivial "infractions"), but it is what it is. I'm sure some countries will eventually stop the madness; others won't. While I'm overall a big fan of technology, "speed enforcement" is certainly one area where technology is being used for evil.
It certainly is evil - purely for the purpose of revenue raising at the expense of safety if you look at the scientific evidence. Put that money into sensible speed limits and mandatory driver training combined with reform of the licensing process, and you'll have safer roads.

You can also get GPS units that tell you the speed limit in Australia. Before I moved to Europe I had a Holden with the speed limit shown on the dash info display if you wanted it there. It also flashes when you go over it.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:21 am

I've just received a speeding fine from my trip in Oz a few months ago, 59 in a 50 zone at 5am in the morn! The fine with the admin fee comes to approx $220, what grates me is the car hire firm Europcar is also trying to sting me with a $38.50 admin fee, which they assure me is part of their policy.

As this was not explained when taking hiring the vehicle, I've asked them for proof, which they haven't provided.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Nick2008
I've just received a speeding fine from my trip in Oz a few months ago, 59 in a 50 zone at 5am in the morn! The fine with the admin fee comes to approx $220, what grates me is the car hire firm Europcar is also trying to sting me with a $38.50 admin fee, which they assure me is part of their policy.

As this was not explained when taking hiring the vehicle, I've asked them for proof, which they haven't provided.
I googled the Europecar rental agreement and it comes up with this (my bolding):

13. PAYMENT OF CHARGES
13.1 At the end of the Rental Period, You must pay Europcar on demand:
(a) all charges specified on Part A and all charges payable under
the Rental Agreement, less any deposits already paid;
(b) the Credit Card Fee in Australia;
(c) any amount paid or payable by Europcar or payable by You
arising out of Your use of the Vehicle or imposed on You or
Europcar by any governmental or other competent authority
(such as speeding, road toll, parking and traffic fines). In addition
to any penalty or fine, the Renter is liable to pay Europcar the
infringement administration fee detailed on Part A
; and
(d) any amount for which You are liable to Europcar under the
Rental Agreement, in respect of a breach of the Rental Agreement
or for damage or loss to the Vehicle or third party property
I can't find 'Part A' easily on line. But perhaps that is agreement specific? Somewhere in your paperwork?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:33 pm

I got one around melbourne, did some research and found that if it's your first offence and if it was something like 10 over the limit at the most it can be forgiven. I followed their instructions and mailed it in, but they denied me. Not a chance Ill be paying this lol
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Police scam?

Picked up a rental car at ASP on Monday to drive to Kings Canyon. Had plenty of time so weren't hurrying. Stopped for lunch and petrol and rejoined highway toward Ayers Rock which has speed limit of 110K.

Approaching a very steep crest I kept the gas on to get over the top. On the descent we started to accelerate so I took my foot off the gas and started to brake.

A few 100 metres later saw a blue car approaching which then lit up. Stopped and two cos got out and said I had been doing about 125 for a short period.

Very chatty cops. Appears they know this crest is steep and catches out tourists driving an unfamiliar car. They catch tourist every day they boasted because as soon as they come over the crest they are accelerating so 90% of them will be speeding and can be caught.

Seems to be nothing about road safety but revenue collection for NT government. When I have been caught on camera in VIC or NSW I have always dealt with it. I have a real issue with this encounter.

Any advice?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Picked up a rental car at ASP on Monday to drive to Kings Canyon. Had plenty of time so weren't hurrying. Stopped for lunch and petrol and rejoined highway toward Ayers Rock which has speed limit of 110K.

Approaching a very steep crest I kept the gas on to get over the top. On the descent we started to accelerate so I took my foot off the gas and started to brake.

A few 100 metres later saw a blue car approaching which then lit up. Stopped and two cos got out and said I had been doing about 125 for a short period.

Very chatty cops. Appears they know this crest is steep and catches out tourists driving an unfamiliar car. They catch tourist every day they boasted because as soon as they come over the crest they are accelerating so 90% of them will be speeding and can be caught.

Seems to be nothing about road safety but revenue collection for NT government. When I have been caught on camera in VIC or NSW I have always dealt with it. I have a real issue with this encounter.

Any advice?
They'll sell it off to a collection agency eventually, who will probably not bother chasing it, except for, perhaps, a letter. You could always write a letter yourself saying you didn't see you'd gone over the limit etc, but I wouldn't bother.

One twenty five in a 110 zone in the middle of nowhere and being fined is just ridiculous.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
They'll sell it off to a collection agency eventually, who will probably not bother chasing it, except for, perhaps, a letter. You could always write a letter yourself saying you didn't see you'd gone over the limit etc, but I wouldn't bother.

One twenty five in a 110 zone in the middle of nowhere and being fined is just ridiculous.
Certainly sounds like a speed trap. Odd, because I didn't see a single one in the thousands of miles I drove through the NT (including this road). You are pretty much a sitting duck in the outback, though -- almost no one is going "exactly" the speed limit!

BTW, I thought they were experimenting with going back to no speed limits in the NT. I don't think it applies to this road, but it sure violates the "spirit" of that initiative if you're going to ticket tiny speed infractions on other major (and unpopulated) roads.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:09 am

They have now slapped on a reminder fee of about $80 and the next time a victim of crime fee of $180, when are they going to give up? As the original fine has now tripled. If it keeps going up at this rate they will file extradition papers because of the amount involved.

Victim of crime? Doing 59kph at 5am in the morn, oh please!!!!

Last edited by Nick2008; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
(Shrug) so stick to the freakin' speed limit, that'll fix 'em.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Nick2008
They have now slapped on a reminder fee of about $80 and the next time a victim of crime fee of $180, when are they going to give up? As the original fine has now tripled. If it keeps going up at this rate they will file extradition papers because of the amount involved.

Victim of crime? Doing 59kph at 5am in the morn, oh please!!!!
Thank you for admitting that you broke the law, and thank you for admitting that you refuse to take responsibility for your actions.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
(Shrug) so stick to the freakin' speed limit, that'll fix 'em.
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Thank you for admitting that you broke the law, and thank you for admitting that you refuse to take responsibility for your actions.
Totally agree here, not hard to do what the law says. And we stopped making it a requirement to be a law breaker to come to Australia nearly 200 years ago, if you can't comply with our laws then don't come here. Just ask Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran about the consequences of breaking the laws of another country.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.