Wiki Posts
Search

Planning 3 days in NZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Planning 3 days in NZ

Will be in NZ in March with my parents and am having a hard time figuring out what to do with just 3 full days amongst all the different places I've read about.

Arriving into AKL late afternoon/early evening on day 1, have 3 full days, and then fly out of AKL at night on day 5. We aren't very active people -- happy to sightsee and get around, but no big hikes or anything. Was thinking perhaps 1-2 days on the north island and the remaining 1-2 in ZQN or somewhere on the south island? With that amount of time, we know we can only get a brief glimpse, and would prefer to try out more than one place (although open to anything, and one island would be ok).

Been reading a bunch, but still not sure what to make of it so I really appreciate any input.

Last edited by Taoyuan; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you really want to see the South Island, I'd probably just spend most of your time in Queenstown. Queenstown is more spectacular than Auckland and more compact so easier to see the main sights for a short visit.

Ideally you could do this by connecting in AKL and going straight to ZQN, as it would save you two airport commutes to AKL (or a boring airport hotel). But an afternoon arrival, I'm not sure. And it might be risky to schedule a connection on the return, even though it should be possible, a delay would ruin your long haul flight.

If you can't go directly to ZQN I'd probably recommend a night in AKL on both ends and 2 nights in Queenstown. But look at the itinerary and add up your travel time, you may be asking yourself if it is worth it on such a short trip to do 4 AKL airport transfers and 2 in ZQN, plus the flights.

If you do decide to stay in the North Island, I would recommend getting a car and driving as that is the best way to see the highlights. I really liked Piha myself and it is very close to Auckland. There are lots of options for a 3-4 day trip.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I realize that such a short trip spread out among 2 places would involve a lot of travel time relative to actual destination time. We probably won't have a chance to go back to NZ, so may choose to bite the bullet on that.

Definitely conflicted between staying on the North Island, or just trying to get a brief brief brief glimpse of both. I think your perspective makes a lot of sense, though. I guess I need to do more research and come up with some cool North Island itineraries.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Picking a random day in March, I see the last AKL-ZQN flight is 7:20 PM. If you can swing it, I would fly down to ZQN that night, spend 2 full days there, then fly back to AKL on a morning flight and spend 1.5 days there. You can also drive around if you'd like, but you could do this without needing to travel far by car at all (I would rent one in Queenstown if you want to drive out to wineries, though).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Picking a random day in March, I see the last AKL-ZQN flight is 7:20 PM. If you can swing it, I would fly down to ZQN that night, spend 2 full days there, then fly back to AKL on a morning flight and spend 1.5 days there.
This is probably ideal for the two destination option. ^
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just don't book ZQN with a same-day international connection as ZQN is notorious for delays (due to being a tough airport with fickle weather). You can check flightstats for the flights you are interested in booking for historical delays. March should be better than average, fwiw.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I'll pass along the advice and let you know what we end up doing.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by number_6
Just don't book ZQN with a same-day international connection as ZQN is notorious for delays (due to being a tough airport with fickle weather). You can check flightstats for the flights you are interested in booking for historical delays. March should be better than average, fwiw.
I will say that when the weather is nice, though, the views going out are absolutely breathtaking. I think ZQN-WLG is probably the most scenic flight I've ever taken. I will also say that I was on an A320...looking back at how small the airport / runway appear, no wonder it felt a bit like the pilot gunned it out
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

We had to cancel (hoping for 2019), so there'll be no update on this one for now. Really appreciate the help -- if we manage to fit NZ into the itinerary, will be sure to book right to ZQN.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: RFC
I realize the trip is now a no-go, but I'm still going to go against the grain and say don't spend most of the time in Queenstown. It's a tourist trap with little to recommend it in and of itself.

For 3 full days in March I'd say spend 2 in Auckland. Go out to Waiheke and spend the first day at wineries and restaurants - relax, spend a really long time having lunch and then a sit & read in the sun on a beach. Go for a walk and simply enjoy the company and not having to fly. Have an early dinner, watch the evening draw in. Star gaze. Go back to Auckland that night or the next morning. Second day, visit some of things Auckland has to offer. Play tourist cliche. It's amusing to do once in a while. Go out for dinner and go see a show. Day 3, fly down to Queenstown and scenery watch on the way - take the slower flights with 2-3 stops perhaps? Spend the day playing tourist, enjoy good food and take a lake cruise. Fly direct back to Auckland that evening and, again, watch the scenery of NZ from 30,000 feet as sunset rolls in. It's a beautiful sight to fly the length of the country in late summer as sunset comes in.
Catweazle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.