Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for protecting my belongings?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
I think the advice you've already been given covers it mostly, but if you end up leaving your gear in the car you don't want it to look like a tourists car, they are prime pickings for would be thieves. A dirty hi-vis vest, a pair of work boots and a couple scrunched up McDonalds bags on the back seat/floor of a car instantly moves it down the appeal ladder several rungs. Urban camoflage.
The stories about tourists having their gear stolen from vehicles are ones where it's obviously a tourist's vehicle.
Store everything in the boot/trunk, and remove anything obvious marking it as a rental car from the interior.
Parking by the hostel will increase the risk, so additional camouflage as mentioned above will help.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Tourists do get targeted for the obvious reasons (unlikely to return to testify in court, and more likely to have high-value stuff to steal). Hardly unique to NZ. Even the tourist crime rate is quite low compared to US or most of Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.