Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go *from* SYD over Xmas/NYE? Tonga?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where to go *from* SYD over Xmas/NYE? Tonga?

Hi all,

I'm currently SYD-based and looking to get out SYD from Dec 23 to Jan 2. I'm very open to suggestions. I have no interest in Fiji (go there for work regularly) - and have done New Caledonia already.

I may have a friend coming from the US and we were thinking Bali/Seminyak (though I've heard it's very crowded over this time) or Tonga.

Of course, NZ, or anywhere else in Oz is an option.

Prefer to go to a more laid-back area than an crowded touristy area - but am open to flying up to about 9 hours or so at most. I've got a ton of AA miles to burn on QF as needed (looking for saver availability, of course), or can do a paid ticket if needed.

Any suggestions on where to escape to?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bali is sold out already for that time period, good luck getting accom. Probably Malaysia and Thaliand are your best bet, or the rest of INdonesia. Lombok near Bali for example. But it is a tough week at the well known and easily reached tourist resorts. Really depends upon what you want in accom and how flexible, flying is the easy part.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Rarotonga (Cook Islands) is pretty laid back and relaxed, although its only an weekly dirrect service from SYD, but you can get there atleast twice daily via AKL.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Rarotonga (Cook Islands) is pretty laid back and relaxed, although its only an weekly dirrect service from SYD, but you can get there atleast twice daily via AKL.
I second this suggestion, and there are direct flights for someone coming from LAX too, although not daily.

I am not sure what Rarotonga is like over the holiday period, but in general it is very laid back compared with some of its neighbors. And if you can find accommodation on an outlying island you are guaranteed an even more relaxed experience. I particularly loved Atiu, although it is probably on the extreme end of 'getting away from it all.' It sure would be interesting to visit a Tumunu over NYE though!

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:13 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Member

I've never left the airport at RAR but my memory of it was incredibly hot and humid .... it makes places like SIN and HKG seem arctic.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by number_6
I've never left the airport at RAR but my memory of it was incredibly hot and humid .... it makes places like SIN and HKG seem arctic.
Rarotonga is subtropical, so yes there will be heat and humidity. The northern Cook islands are Tropical. Unlike Hong Kong or Singapore, there aren't 1 million air-conditioners pumping hot exhaust onto blazing hot asphalt alleyways. And a cool ocean breeze is never far away...

OP spends a lot of time in Fiji, and is looking for a south pacific island trip in January, so I doubt they are unaware of what the weather can be like.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all - yes, been to Fiji in summer time & know how painful it can be (though the Marriott Momi Bay's lagoon helps cool it down!).

I'll check out Cook Islands - the travel may be difficult with limited flights. I've done Thailand way too many times when I was younger, but haven't been to Malaysia (though I'm sure just as humid as Singapore is) - maybe I'll head to the mountains somewhere as well.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Member

Malaysia has Langkawi (island) which is pretty nice, sort of like Bali before over development, and mainland has some highlands as well as Georgetown (world heritage site). I've been to Langkawi and enjoyed it, mainly for Bon Ton/Temple Tree, but have not been to the rest of Malaysia. Villa Samadhi is noteworthy and they've got a remote island getaway which is interesting.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:09 am

Fwiw I booked a week in Bali/Singapore a few nights back. Was pretty surprised how much accomodation was available in Seminiyak, very easy to get a good pool villa for 170-250 AUD/night. All up for 2 of us it was AUD 3k + 100k qantas points for business (jetstar) flights to bali, 5 nights pool villa seminyak, jetstar to SIN, 2 nights serviced apartment there then (scoot) business back to sydney
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Member

Great to hear that Bali is so readily available (was sold out 2 years ago when I tried similar). Enjoy, that is a great trip, though JQ and Scoot business is a step down from premium economy
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:28 pm

I know But for 6/7 hour flights it's well beyond my economy threshold but short enough to survive in 'fake' business. I was kinda surprised how easy it was to get a deal on good accommodation in Bali as well, especially that week, my only guess is that the people going over at that time are families or the Kuta crowd leaving couples with decent options.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Member

I suppose helped by the thousands of new villas that have been built in the boom of the past few years and these are all rentals. Also some of the WA miners who were living in Bali while working in WA are no longer living in Bali so those villas are also up for rental. Sad to see rice paddies disappear but such is progress. The W area is great as the traffic is tolerable. If you need supplies, I usually have my driver stop at Carrefour on the way from the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Hobart.

Has pretty good NYE on the harbour without the crowds and hassle of Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.