Wiki Posts
Search

Young family holiday in August - advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Young family holiday in August - advice

Hi,

We arrive in Sydney for 14 days in August. We have four children between 9 years and 6 months. We had been thinking of flying straight to Brisbane and then hiring a car and slowly driving down to Sydney.

But...should we be considering anything else? A short trip to either Darwin or Cairns was in my mind but I'm not sure if this would be worth the extra flight cost and hassle.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The NSW coast is beautiful, both north and south of Sydney, though August is mid-winter so not classic beach weather. There is more than enough to amaze and entertain your kids for 14 days without the cost or hassle of going to Darwin or Cairns. The only reason to do so is to stay warm, but in that case holiday in the northern hemisphere in August. I'd suggest renting a car for your whole stay as it lets you store stuff and stay at much cheaper accom as well as see the countryside, just remember that car seats are mandatory by law for up to 7 years old so you would need 3 most likely and not all cars can take 3 car seats across (not allowed in front seat by law, so you may need to rent a 7-seater vehicle). http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ats/index.html
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, looks like we will be doing the road trip then. Any particular events we should be keeping an eye out for?

And yes electronic visas all done and thanks for the booster seat tips - will book with the hire car.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mallangong
Hi,

We arrive in Sydney for 14 days in August. We have four children between 9 years and 6 months. We had been thinking of flying straight to Brisbane and then hiring a car and slowly driving down to Sydney.

But...should we be considering anything else? A short trip to either Darwin or Cairns was in my mind but I'm not sure if this would be worth the extra flight cost and hassle.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
I'd consider beginning in Noosa (fly to Maroochydore) and visit Fraser Island. Given the latitude, the sea temps in Australia are actually pretty cold. In Queensland in August, expect them to be about 20-21 degrees, and as you move down through the NSW coast it will be become too cold to comfortably swim without a steamer. If you've got 4 kids you might want to spend sometime on the Gold Coast. Byron Bay is probably worth a stop as is Barrington Tops NP (this will cold and snow is a possibility). If you like wine then a night or two in the Hunter Valley could also be worthwhile.

I think it's a great time of year to visit Cairns. The water will be warm, as will the weather. There are no stingers at that time of year so you can swim at the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.