Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would like some advice for Aussie trip later this year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Smile Would like some advice for Aussie trip later this year

I'm traveling with my cousin later this year to Perth for a week to visit family and then onto Melbourne. We're going ZQN-AKL-PER with Air NZ. Then fly over to Melbourne (on VA) for a few days then return home again to ZQN (on NZ).

It's been a super long time since I last traveled internationally and my cousin (12) has never flown internationally before so it'll be a big experience for them so hopefully they get bitten by the travel bug!

I'm feeling a bit out of touch with a few things so I just wanted to clarify and get some helpful info from you guys. I've checked both Air NZ and Virgin Australia's websites for more info but it's still pretty minimal.

Our flight from Queenstown leaves at 7am. Can I check both of us in nice and early using the Air NZ App on my phone, then print out boarding passes when we get to the airport and do our bag drop? Or should we jut do everything when we get there?

Are our bags checked all the way through to Perth or do we have to go through the whole process again?

So... SmartGate, has anyone had any trouble with them? I've heard it can be hit or miss, mainly in Aussie.

The sprog wants a window seat on the 787 and not one where you have to lean forward or backwards to see out of, and definitely not in between the windows lol. We're flying economy (the Works) with seat select etc so if anyone knows of what row(s) to choose that would be awesome!

Thank you!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've had two issues with the smart gate but all you do is go to the regular booths for immigration. Took less then 5 mins. It wasn't a drama.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Personally I'm old-style and prefer to just do the whole checkin process at the airport, but then that's just me. ZQN isn't a huge airport, so you won't get lost, but do aim to get there earlier than later - perhaps two hours before departure, or at least an hour.

If Air NZ all the way, then yes, I would assume that your bags will be checked in all the way through to PER which is pretty convenient. Although I don't have much experience with them; others around here may have better advice.

Regarding seating on the Air NZ 787, check out some of the seating plans online to get a feel for the setup aboard the aircraft: Seat Guru or even Air NZ themselves.

Bon voyage!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.