Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uluru Accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Uluru Accomodations

Does anybody have feedback on the various options of accommodations at Uluru? Most of them are very expensive for very basic accommodations. I saw that there is also the option for a hostel which is fairly inexpensive. While I am way past my hostel years, I wouldn't mind it for just two nights. I'll also be travelling with my niece who is in her early twenties. I'd rather splurge on a nice room in Perth or Sydney than Uluru, unless people found the options wonderful.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the accommodation is owned and run by the same organisation.
As you have noted, value for money compared to a major city accommodation is poor, but if you want to go to Uluru you pay the going rate.
Price vs the quality is your only option.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do you have any Accor Hotel points? It appears that all the Ayers Rock hotels have allied themselves with this brand.

On my first visit to Ayers Rock, I chose one of the spartan hotels. I saved money but I didn't like it. On the second trip with my husband, we went more midrange. It was adequate.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
None of the options are wornderful (not ever the $1000+/night ones) in terms of room quality, you are paying for the location. But beware that Sydney has shortage of rooms and when it sells out $300/night rooms go for $700/night and this happens several times per month these days. Perth won't be a problem, stay at Crown Towers which is newly renovated and well worth it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:38 am
Suspended

I visited Uluru as a day trip from Alice Springs earlier this month. While it was a lot of spent time on the road, I thought we got enough time to see the National Park and I feel like I got my money's worth compared to what spending a night or two at Uluru would have cost me.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I visited Uluru as a day trip from Alice Springs earlier this month. While it was a lot of spent time on the road, I thought we got enough time to see the National Park and I feel like I got my money's worth compared to what spending a night or two at Uluru would have cost me.
Oh please elaborate. We will fly into Alice springs but thought of flying out of Ayers Rock to save us the return trip to AS.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you have any Accor Hotel points? It appears that all the Ayers Rock hotels have allied themselves with this brand.

On my first visit to Ayers Rock, I chose one of the spartan hotels. I saved money but I didn't like it. On the second trip with my husband, we went more midrange. It was adequate.
No Accor points.

When you say Spartan hotels do you mean hostel type? Dorm room style? What did you not like about it (other than the obvious of no privacy)? I stay in dorm room styles when I'm on shift at the mountain I patrol, but it's with people I know, so it's bearable...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
All the accommodation is owned and run by the same organisation.
As you have noted, value for money compared to a major city accommodation is poor, but if you want to go to Uluru you pay the going rate.
Price vs the quality is your only option.

I understand I'm paying for the location, or more the lack of competition on accommodations. I have no problem paying for something I'll enjoy. My cunundrum is that I might enjoy staying in an expensive room as little as staying in a hostel. Hence spending a fraction for two nights would make sense. Looking for someone who actually stayed at their hostel...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA silver
In the same trip we camped at Ayers Rock and then (after a side trip camping at King's Canyon) stayed the last night at the Emu Walk. That was a good stay, a large apartment with a patio. But fundamentally, if you'll be fine hosteling, just do that and save the money.

I think you really need a full day out there, do the 10km walk around Uluru if you are up for it, and drive out to Kata Tjuta and walk around there.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loungeact
Oh please elaborate. We will fly into Alice springs but thought of flying out of Ayers Rock to save us the return trip to AS.
I booked the day trip with Emu Run (using a coupon on Expedia to save even more money). You leave at 5am, first stop to see the Olgas. We had enough time to walk all the way into the gorge. We then went to Uluru and walked around the base for an hour. That was plenty of time for me since it is just a big rock after all. We then went to another spot further away to have a BBQ dinner while watching the sun set over Uluru. The views were stunning! Once it was dark, we drove back to Alice Springs but they also offer to drop you off in Ayers Rock if you prefer.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
When I went in 2014, we stayed in the Desert Gardens Hotel, so one of the mid-range accommodations. It was basically a motel room, exterior entry but in a resort type setting. Honestly, we only spent one night at the hotel and not that much time in the room so we probably didn't get our money's worth but it didn't both me. I highly recommend an overnight visit: the view of the night sky and the stargazing tour we took were amazing and the highlight of our Australia trip.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at Desert Gardens last time I was in Uluru, and it was very expensive for the basic room it provided. It was clean, but not worth the jacked up rate IMO. This year I am opting for the Outback Pioneer Hotel, which is ~$100 cheaper. I am not a dorm room person, and I don't camp, so it was the budget-iest option available to me (and at over $300 / night, not entirely what I would call budget!)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
I am not a dorm room person, and I don't camp,
neither am I, emma69. But I figure I could be if that saves me $500 for 2 nights that could go towards aboriginal artwork....

If you remember, please come back and let us know about your stay.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Accor has 4 properties ranging from 3 to 5 star (top end Sails in the Desert), and you could use Accor points for a "free" stay, maybe the best use of points in the world. You may want to check out the Accor Plus membership (annual fee but includes 1 free night though availability will be tough). Otherwise, AUD 500 doesn't go far for aboriginal art work, though I applaud the sentiment. In terms of hostel quality, it will be clean and well run but people stay up way past midnight so expect noise during the night.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA
Uluru

We stayed at the Pioneer Hotel. Its a certifiable dump, but we lived and so will you. A/C worked. It was 200 a night cheaper than better options, so for us, it was really the only choice.

It really wasn't that bad..Kind of like a dumpy La Quinta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.