Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia this June/July 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Australia this June/July 2017

First time visit for me and my 14-year old daughter. Landing in Brisbane on 6/28; departing from Sydney 7/09. Want to go snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef in between.

Also on the agenda so far is the Marvel Universe exhibit at the GOMA in Brisbane, as well as the Australia Zoo.

Interested in the following in Sydney, but open to other suggestions and thoughts if some of these things are overrated:
  • Bridge Climb
  • Sydney Opera House
  • Bondi Beach

A few questions:
  • Suggestions for how many days are enough to take in the "must see" items in each area?
  • We'll probably only want to do 2 days of snorkeling at the GBR. Is Cairns the best place to get to the GBR from? Saw a different post suggesting trips from Arlie Beach to Whitsunday Islands, but a comment said they're closed till 2018 because of cyclone damage.
  • Planning to fly from Brisbane to wherever we end up to get to the GBR, then fly from there to Sydney. Any airport tips?
  • Suggestions for how to get around in each of the cities. Uber? Taxi? Public transportation? Rent a car?
  • What should we expect regarding the weather? It being winter, will it be cold to go snorkeling? Swimming in general in Sydney?
  • Airbnb better than hotels?
  • Restaurants and local foods that we have to try?

My first post trying to get advice on a big itinerary. I'm probably missing a few things. Sorry if I'm duplicating what's already been done. Feel free to point me in a better direction via link. Didn't see anything about itineraries for these particular cities at these dates.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have 13 days in Aussie. You will not do much on the day of arrival and day of departure. So 11 effective days

That time of year is too cold for swimming in Sydney, but a good time for north Queensland. Cairns itself is nothing great (does not have a beach). Better to go a little north to Port Douglas or more north to the Daintree
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_North_Queensland

A rental car in Sydney would be a liability. Easy to get to the touristy places by public transport or even walking. Most will be in harbour side area.

Be aware of the size of Australia. CNS SYD is several hours flying

There are(were) many threads on this topic. Unfortunately many are now not accessible - not able to now be found.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 13, 2017 at 1:37 am
Old May 15, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Hi igotnothin,

I'm also going to be a first time visitor to Australia, with my wife and our 13 and 15 year old daughters. We're flying into SYD on June 24 and leaving SYD on July 5, so some overlap there. I'm assuming I'll be able to see parts of Sydney and the Blue Mountains and somewhere north -- was thinking Cairns, but based on reports of massive GBR bleaching, trying to rethink where to fly to. I want to dive the reef (a bucket list item for me), but the ladies aren't certified, so snorkeling for them. If you hear of any news/advice, please post back and I'll do the same.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No outside swimming in Sydney in winter. Too cold.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
No outside swimming in Sydney in winter. Too cold.
However, if you really would like a swim, try here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.