Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with award booking to VLI (Port Vila, Vanuatu)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Help with award booking to VLI (Port Vila, Vanuatu)

This will not be an easy one!

Just spent some time on the phone with an AA CSR, but so far no luck finding a routing from DEN to VLI. It wasn't just availability that got us -- she couldn't even find a valid booking past NAN (Nadi, Fiji) after checking LAX and SEA. Routings through SFO are Virgin America, which doesn't help.

Can anyone assist with some ideas?

Airports that connect to VLI:

Fiji Airways - NAN and HIR (Honiara, Soloman Islands),
Air Vanuatu (which I believe has agreements with Qantas) - AKL (Auckland), BNE (Brisbane), and SYD (Sydney)

There's also connections from Papua New Guinea and a few other ridiculous places...but now that really seems like a stretch!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordyC
Just spent some time on the phone with an AA CSR, but so far no luck finding a routing from DEN to VLI. It wasn't just availability that got us -- she couldn't even find a valid booking past NAN (Nadi, Fiji) after checking LAX and SEA. Routings through SFO are Virgin America, which doesn't help.

Can anyone assist with some ideas?

Airports that connect to VLI:
Fiji Airways - NAN and HIR (Honiara, Soloman Islands),
Air Vanuatu (which I believe has agreements with Qantas) - AKL (Auckland), BNE (Brisbane), and SYD (Sydney)
Easy. Just pay cash to VLI from where ever you can get an award to. So from NAN or where ever to VLI

FJ is an AA ff partner. The others are not AA ff partners. You cannot get awards on partners of partners (codeshares): must be the prime airline
AA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

VLI airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauerf...tional_Airport
http://www.airports.vu/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Easy. Just pay cash to VLI from where ever you can get an award to. So from NAN or where ever to VLI

FJ is an AA ff partner. The others are not AA ff partners. You cannot get awards on partners of partners (codeshares): must be the prime airline
AA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

VLI airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauerf...tional_Airport
http://www.airports.vu/
Thanks for the advice...it seems like using an award to NAN (or wherever) and a paid ticket to VLI is probably my best option.

But one quick question...isn't Qantas a oneworld member? It seems like you're implying I couldn't book an award with them. If you're saying I couldn't book an award with Air Vanuatu...then I guess I see you're point, they're a codeshare.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordyC
But one quick question...isn't Qantas a oneworld member? It seems like you're implying I couldn't book an award with them. If you're saying I couldn't book an award with Air Vanuatu...then I guess I see you're point, they're a codeshare.
QF is a OW, but does not fly to VLI, so you cannot book QF with AA miles.
Air Vanuatu is a QF partner, but not an AA partner. A QF freq flyer can book, if available, a reward fight on Air Vanuatu.
Awards are always on the prime/operating airline flight number: not a codeshare flight number

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 23, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Given Mwenennzi's excellent advice, the next question is why go to Port Vila? It is a bit dismal -- you must go to the rest of Vanuatu to find paradise. Which tends to be quite expensive, the cost of flying to VLI is the minor cost of the trip. Depending on your reason for travel, Fiji might suit you better. Awards to NAN are easy to get, also lots of cheap hotels if you have date flexibility (either on points or cash). Just be aware that weather can be brutal if you hit a typhoon (only a few weeks per year).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Given Mwenennzi's excellent advice, the next question is why go to Port Vila? It is a bit dismal -- you must go to the rest of Vanuatu to find paradise. Which tends to be quite expensive, the cost of flying to VLI is the minor cost of the trip. Depending on your reason for travel, Fiji might suit you better. Awards to NAN are easy to get, also lots of cheap hotels if you have date flexibility (either on points or cash). Just be aware that weather can be brutal if you hit a typhoon (only a few weeks per year).
Wasn't expecting too much from Port Vila, just a starting point to explore Vanuatu. It sounds like we either need to get as close as possible through award and then play the rest of the way, or give up on it.

As I've already been to NAN, it doesn't hold much appeal (great trip though!). Looking for a new destination, slightly to very off the beaten path if possible.

Also, is it that expensive to get around Vanuatu? Is it time I started exploring Seychelles/Maldives/Mauritius?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.