Search
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia
Entry

FT thread ---> Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Australian government web site Arrivals SmartGate
Australian government web site If arrivals SmartGate doesn't work for me, will I have to join the back of the manual queue? -->No

SmartGate is no longer only associated with USA Global Entry or Nexus/Sentri or anything to do with APEC
SmartGate on wikipedia

You get a card at a self service kiosk, by placing your passport on the slide, and then put that card into the SmartGate. Use the first available kiosk. They are in the passage ways and at the SmartGate area. Most people will not talk to an immigration agent.

From Arriving into Australia > Arrivals SmartGate
Arrivals SmartGate enables eligible travellers arriving at Australia’s eight major international airports the option to self-process through passport control. It provides a secure and efficient way to clear through passport control.

Arrivals SmartGate uses the information in ePassports and facial recognition technology to perform checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer.
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
are aged 16 years* or older
hold an ePassport from one of the following:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use arrivals SmartGate.

* Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by at least two adults.
Australia
Departure
Australian government web site Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates
Departures SmartGate is a secure and simple system that automates the checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer, making it the smart way through the airport. Departing passengers can use the departures SmartGate to self-process through passport control at Australia’s major international airports.

Departures SmartGate uses the information in your passport with face recognition technology to identify you and clear you for departure. Departures SmartGate is a simple and quick way for passengers to cross the border.

New Zealand

FT thread NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand.

Visa
NZ government web site How to apply for a visitor's visa
NZ government web site About this visa Visitor Visa
NZ government web site Apply for your visa online
NZ government web site Do you need a visitor's visa?

Note:
Visa waiver (check for other conditions)
Who doesn't need a visitor's visa

If you’re coming to NZ on holiday, you don’t need to apply for a visitor visa if you’re:
  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • a UK passport holder who’s visiting NZ for less than 6 months
  • visiting for less than 3 months and from:
    • Andorra
    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece (and your passport was issued after 1 January 2006)
    • Hungary
    • Hong Kong (and you're travelling on a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passport)
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Korea (South)
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Luxembourg
    • Macao (and you're travelling on a Macao Special Administrative Region passport)
    • Malaysia
    • Malta
    • Mauritius
    • Mexico
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Oman
    • Poland
    • Portugal (and you also have the right to live permanently in Portugal)
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • San Marino
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Seychelles
    • Singapore
    • Slovak Republic
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Taiwan (and you also have the right to live permanently in Taiwan)
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States of America (including USA nationals)
    • Uruguay
    • Vatican City.
Entry
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - On your arrival
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - egate
eGate is an automated way to get through passport control.

In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands.
New Zealand Departure
NZ government web site Leaving NZ

eGates allow travellers in some airports to process themselves – ie their passport doesn’t need to be checked by a Customs officer.

You can use eGates if you:
are 12 years or older
have an e-Passport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States of America
  • Canada
  • China
Print Wikipost

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
which I assume will be shorter.

I count 19 int'l arrivals in the 90 minutes before us, so it could be a zoo, I suspect.
If you're arriving early AM it will be a zoo. Smartgate is excellent, I've never queued for it and it's all over in a minute or so. Just remember that once you're through immigration you'll still have to clear customs and quarantine, which can negate much of the benefit of Smartgate, if you do manage to be able to use it.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
There are plenty of Smartgate terminals at MEL and SYD in the corridors as you approach immigration, so yes, you can try the under-16 passport there. If it doesn't work, at least you know you'll have to queue to see an officer.

As far as I recall at SYD, if you don't have anything to declare at customs you can use the green channel which doesn't take anywhere near as long as the red channel. So if timeliness is important don't bring anything declarable into the country (food or items made from natural materials, recreational equipment like bikes or tents, expensive gifts, see english-ipc-sample.pdf).
Old May 10, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konagirl2
As far as I recall at SYD, if you don't have anything to declare at customs you can use the green channel which doesn't take anywhere near as long as the red channel. So if timeliness is important don't bring anything declarable into the country (food or items made from natural materials, recreational equipment like bikes or tents, expensive gifts, see Attachment 8606).
The red channel is sometimes quicker at peak times, and the express lane seems to be getting progressively worse and worse. I've ticked the wilderness box a couple of times when the green channel is overflowing. They check my shoes for dirt and off I go.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by konagirl2
There are plenty of Smartgate terminals at MEL and SYD in the corridors as you approach immigration, so yes, you can try the under-16 passport there. If it doesn't work, at least you know you'll have to queue to see an officer.

As far as I recall at SYD, if you don't have anything to declare at customs you can use the green channel which doesn't take anywhere near as long as the red channel. So if timeliness is important don't bring anything declarable into the country (food or items made from natural materials, recreational equipment like bikes or tents, expensive gifts, see Attachment 8606).
As of two years ago, they had eliminated the green and red channels. There's one set of queues (while, two: one Express Path and one regular) that lead to a group of agents. They look at your declaration card and send you to one of several numbered lanes, some of which lead right outside and some of which lead to further inspection.

The wait for these quarantine agents has been, by far, the slowest part of international arrivals in Australia in my experience.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Any updates on the rules for non-Australian minors using SmartGate?I noticed it was briefly discussed here a while back.

Family of 4 with two kids (10 and 13), U.S. e-passports, GE for the whole family. Can the children use SmartGate for entry? I still haven't got a clear answer from the official Australian Border Protection website. It says as long as there are minimum two adults using "first and last" process order, kids from 10-15 are allowed to use SmartGate. However, it only mentioned Australian children in that setting. Not sure wether that applies to other SmartGate countries.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleepro
Any updates on the rules for non-Australian minors using SmartGate? I noticed it was briefly discussed here a while back.

Family of 4 with two kids (10 and 13), U.S. e-passports, GE for the whole family. Can the children use SmartGate for entry? I still haven't got a clear answer from the official Australian Border Protection website. It says as long as there are minimum two adults using "first and last" process order, kids from 10-15 are allowed to use SmartGate. However, it only mentioned Australian children in that setting. Not sure wether that applies to other SmartGate countries.
From http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/G...teor-ePassport
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
are aged 16 years* or older
hold an ePassport from one of the following:
Australia
Canada
China
France
Hong Kong
Ireland
Japan
Korea
Macau
New Zealand
Singapore
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use arrivals SmartGate.

* Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by at least two adults.
Based on this no smartgate access for your (USA passport) kids. But worth a try anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Miscue deleted.

Last edited by Xeno; Mar 14, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Xeno
I flew into SYD about 18 months ago and did not know about the Smartgate benefit for those of us with GE.

Is this still in place? I will be flying into SYD to transit to AKL where I stay 3 days then back to SYD for one week.
Yes, no worries.
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:06 am

I am just over two weeks away from my VA flight into SYD that will connect on to AKL.

Must one have a paper BP to use smartgates? I always use EBP when possible especially if they can go to my iPhone wallet and then on to my iWatch.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am just over two weeks away from my VA flight into SYD that will connect on to AKL.

Must one have a paper BP to use smartgates? I always use EBP when possible especially if they can go to my iPhone wallet and then on to my iWatch.
If you're connecting to AKL there is no need to go through immigration at all. You will exit the plane, go through transit security, and then you'll be in the international boarding area.

You will need a boarding pass to go through transit security. I have no idea if they accept EBPs, but if they don't you can get a paper one at the transit desk right before security.
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:57 am

Thanks. I just returned from TXL where the passport thing at CDG coming and going confused me.

I do fly back to SYD from AKL so I expect to put the smart gate to good use then as well as the original arrival at AKL.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smartgates in Australia & New Zealand do not use boarding passes: only passports.

As above, as you will be in transit at SYD and you will not formally enter Australia, but remain airside.
However depending on your passport, etc you may may need an Australian transit visa.
https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/...ough-australia
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:33 pm

Very helpful, thank you.

I have a USA passport and an ETA visa since I will remain in Australia 7 days.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I just returned from TXL where the passport thing at CDG coming and going confused me.
Because there are no border controls within the Schengen area, once you arrive at the first port (CDG) you need to clear immigration and customs. Subsequent flights within the area are "domestic" for want of a better word.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
You will need a boarding pass to go through transit security.
No, you don't. There are no BP checks for international transfer security in Australia.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.