Search
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia
Entry

FT thread ---> Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Australian government web site Arrivals SmartGate
Australian government web site If arrivals SmartGate doesn't work for me, will I have to join the back of the manual queue? -->No

SmartGate is no longer only associated with USA Global Entry or Nexus/Sentri or anything to do with APEC
SmartGate on wikipedia

You get a card at a self service kiosk, by placing your passport on the slide, and then put that card into the SmartGate. Use the first available kiosk. They are in the passage ways and at the SmartGate area. Most people will not talk to an immigration agent.

From Arriving into Australia > Arrivals SmartGate
Arrivals SmartGate enables eligible travellers arriving at Australia’s eight major international airports the option to self-process through passport control. It provides a secure and efficient way to clear through passport control.

Arrivals SmartGate uses the information in ePassports and facial recognition technology to perform checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer.
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
are aged 16 years* or older
hold an ePassport from one of the following:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use arrivals SmartGate.

* Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by at least two adults.
Australia
Departure
Australian government web site Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates
Departures SmartGate is a secure and simple system that automates the checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer, making it the smart way through the airport. Departing passengers can use the departures SmartGate to self-process through passport control at Australia’s major international airports.

Departures SmartGate uses the information in your passport with face recognition technology to identify you and clear you for departure. Departures SmartGate is a simple and quick way for passengers to cross the border.

New Zealand

FT thread NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand.

Visa
NZ government web site How to apply for a visitor's visa
NZ government web site About this visa Visitor Visa
NZ government web site Apply for your visa online
NZ government web site Do you need a visitor's visa?

Note:
Visa waiver (check for other conditions)
Who doesn't need a visitor's visa

If you’re coming to NZ on holiday, you don’t need to apply for a visitor visa if you’re:
  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • a UK passport holder who’s visiting NZ for less than 6 months
  • visiting for less than 3 months and from:
    • Andorra
    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece (and your passport was issued after 1 January 2006)
    • Hungary
    • Hong Kong (and you're travelling on a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passport)
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Korea (South)
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Luxembourg
    • Macao (and you're travelling on a Macao Special Administrative Region passport)
    • Malaysia
    • Malta
    • Mauritius
    • Mexico
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Oman
    • Poland
    • Portugal (and you also have the right to live permanently in Portugal)
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • San Marino
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Seychelles
    • Singapore
    • Slovak Republic
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Taiwan (and you also have the right to live permanently in Taiwan)
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States of America (including USA nationals)
    • Uruguay
    • Vatican City.
Entry
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - On your arrival
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - egate
eGate is an automated way to get through passport control.

In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands.
New Zealand Departure
NZ government web site Leaving NZ

eGates allow travellers in some airports to process themselves – ie their passport doesn’t need to be checked by a Customs officer.

You can use eGates if you:
are 12 years or older
have an e-Passport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States of America
  • Canada
  • China
Print Wikipost

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kris Rao
You can use the Smartgate and then request a stamp on your passport from the officers sitting at the control desk just behind the immigration counters.
Apparently Australia will no longer stamp passports, even if requested. This isn't just for SmartGate, but for everyone.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Just back from SYD (entry/exit 2 Sep). I use my GE in the US and Canada all the time so probably not user error but first swipe/scan -->> "you must see an immigration dude this time", go to front of line. Right after that, they stamped my passport. Moral of story: no luck for another GE peep and still get stamp.

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Sep 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by rawr703
I am flying into Auckland from the US and then later on into Gold Coast from Auckland. Should I consider applying for the program? The website says its $100, I won't have any checked baggage to wait for,and I live reasonably near an airport that does the interviews.

Plus, the TSA PreCheck lists members of the US Global Entry Program as qualified to apply for their program.

Thoughts for a not so frequent flyer?
I'm not that frequent an overseas traveler, either. At $100 for five years, it seemed worth it to get Global Entry even if I only travel to other countries once a year. And one you're in GE you're automatically enrolled in Pre-Check.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I'm not that frequent an overseas traveler, either. At $100 for five years, it seemed worth it to get Global Entry even if I only travel to other countries once a year. And one you're in GE you're automatically enrolled in Pre-Check.
Interesting, when I got Global Entry, it was $200, have they cut the cost?

You're not automatically enrolled in Pre-Check, you still have to tell each airline you want to use it on by registering online on their website. Or has that changed too?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Smartgate - US Global Entry Program

Registering @ UAL, DAL, and AA was nothing more than storing my GE numbering in an existing profile.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Interesting, when I got Global Entry, it was $200, have they cut the cost?

You're not automatically enrolled in Pre-Check, you still have to tell each airline you want to use it on by registering online on their website. Or has that changed too?
The cost is now $100. Yes, you're correct. You have to store your GE number on each airline's website if you want to be eligible for Pre-Check for their flights.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

Oh it's for five years? I didn't see that part. You know what, if it's five years I think I will do it then. Are you sure about the timeframe? I already booked all my flights but that shouldn't matter to use the Global Entry right?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:23 pm

Earlier this month I used SmartGate twice at SYD with my U.S. passport with no problem. I have GE.

I found it interesting that Australia has SmartGate for entering Australia but not leaving. In New Zealand, U.S. passport holders with GE can't use SmartGate when entering New Zealand (but can use a special line), but I was able to use SmartGate when leaving New Zealand.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:17 pm

Oh it's for five years? I didn't see that part. You know what, if it's five years I think I will do it then. Are you sure about the timeframe? I already booked all my flights but that shouldn't matter to use the Global Entry right?
Yes, Global Entry is for five years and expires on your birthday. So you can "get" a little more than five years depending on when you apply vs. your birthdate.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:11 pm

Application submitted on 9/23. Interview completed & membership approved 10/6. Not bad at all!
Just wanted to thank everyone here, this thread was the only reason I even knew about smartgate
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
haha, like that's ever going to happen.
Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.
They let Dutch, South Korean and Mexcians through.. so would be good to see UK and AU as well.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by QPProletarian
They let Dutch, South Korean and Mexcians through.. so would be good to see UK and AU as well.
They have extended to UK: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...08092013_3.xml
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Originally Posted by nas6034
Oh, they haven't updated the eligibility page:
http://www.globalentry.gov/eligibility.html

I have an ETSA with my AU passport, being in Global Entry would be useful to skip the non-us queue when a whole bunch of A380 land at LAX, but seems as though you have to enroll from inside the US anyway. Was thinking it could be useful with my UK passport.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
I am flying into Auckland from the US and then later on into Gold Coast from Auckland. Should I consider applying for the program? The website says its $100, I won't have any checked baggage to wait for,and I live reasonably near an airport that does the interviews.

Plus, the TSA PreCheck lists members of the US Global Entry Program as qualified to apply for their program.

Thoughts for a not so frequent flyer?
It's good for 5 years, so it's $20/year. As you get access to TSA PreCheck, that alone is worth paying $20 every year.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dianne47
The cost is now $100. Yes, you're correct. You have to store your GE number on each airline's website if you want to be eligible for Pre-Check for their flights.
i signed up for NEXUS. it was much cheaper than Global Entry, and you still get Global Entry w/NEXUS and TSA Precheck. $50 when i applied. Not sure why people would pay $100 for Global Entry when you can pay $50 and get the same thing plus nexus, seeing how applying for global entry does not yield you NEXUS (canadian entry benefits)

EDIT: i guess you have to live near the canadian border since thats where all the NEXUS centers are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.