Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia gluten free food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by keisari
Thank you all. I had already found about the supermarkets and the health food stores.

I am still interested to know if anybody has any first hand knowledge of any special restaurant, bakery or pastry shop that sells gluten free fresh items.

And I hear you loud and clear. Do not bring in food to Australia.
Gluten free is the new fad here (for non critical health reasons).

Gluten free cakes, pastries, brownies, slices are everywhere. Go for a walk in Surry Hills and you'll see what I mean...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Gluten free cakes, pastries, brownies, slices are everywhere. Go for a walk in Surry Hills and you'll see what I mean...
This is great information. thank you
Any suggestions in Melbourne?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Did you miss my Melbourne suggestions?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Surry Hills and Bondi probably tie for gluten freedom.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncat...-crown-street/
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

I unfortunately don't remember any specific places, but I've spent a couple of months in various parts of Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Adelaide, and Darwin). One person in my group ate GF, but never was it too difficult for her to find something to eat. The only problems we had were in more remote places (Coober Pedy, ect...)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

So true, and pretty much the same for any main centres in Australia and New Zealand.

Its like who isn't Gluten Dairy Free, with Paolo added for some extra fun.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I'm sitting in a pub in Surry Hills while reading this, as a test I analysed the menu. Roughly 24 items, seven are listed as gluten free. Pretty typical pub menu.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I want to give an update after my trip so the information is on the record.
Sydney and Melbourne are great places for gluten free options. Most restaurants have gluten free options on the menu and I find that the staff knows about those options.
Woolworth and Cole's, the two most common food markets, have gluten free bread and snacks but they are limited - at least in the smaller shops in the center of both cities.

If you keep gluten free diet due to medical reasons then your options are much much smaller. There is lots of cross-contamination and sometimes the servers do not know the degree of possible contamination. Ordered a pizza that said gluten free and the server had not idea if there was a dedicated area, dedicated tools etc...
In some bakery and pastry shops the gluten free food was too close to the non-gluten free food and there was no way that it would be safe to eat. Only in a few places the gluten free food was packaged.

I found that, just like in the US, the higher end places are much better at offering safe gluten free meals. I found that both hotels, Park Hyatt Sydney and Melbourne were very good about gluten free meals.

To summarize, Sydney and Melbourne is no different than most US cities. If you just want to cut back on gluten then they are great. Lots of options. If you have a medically prescribed diet, it is as limited as if you are in most US cities (maybe NY, Portland would be the exception)

By the way, I brought in lots of snacks (with dried fruits) and nuts; I brought a package with bread as well as gluten free chips and did not have any problem. I wrote down gluten free snacks and food in the landing card and gave it to the lady as I was exciting baggage claim. She mumbled something about gluten free, smiled and said welcome.

Thank you everybody for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.