Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by number_6
Just heard Sepia is moving to Melbourne when their lease ends (end of this year). Their reason for moving is fascinating: to move up the standings in World's 50 best restaurants and they feel that requires moving from Sydney to Melbourne, fwiw. I suppose Quay can't move (they'd lose their best asset, the view).

Sepia isn't for me.

I do like their website that says this... Due to the spontaneous nature of our menu we are not always able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and allergies. We require at least 24 hours notice for dietary requirements. We do not offer a vegan menu.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Their reason for moving is fascinating: to move up the standings in World's 50 best restaurants and they feel that requires moving from Sydney to Melbourne, fwiw.
I'd love to know the source of that rumour. Those guys couldn't give two sh!ts where they are in that ranking. Does any restaurant?

Like any restaurant in Australia they just care about chef's hats.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I suppose Quay can't move (they'd lose their best asset, the view).
They also wouldn't be located on the Quay, which would also defeat the purpose of the name...

(I do share the sentiment that the view is their best asset. Perhaps it explains why dinner service is interminably long )
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bensyd
I'd love to know the source of that rumour. Those guys couldn't give two sh!ts where they are in that ranking. Does any restaurant?

Like any restaurant in Australia they just care about chef's hats.
The source is quotes from the restaurant owners/chef when announcing their move ... no secret. Simply put Melbourne has greater infrastructure for high-end dining and more customers willing to pay those prices daily than Sydney does. Quite a big difference actually, even the coffee tastes different between the 2 cities. Food in Sydney is excellent, amongst the best in the world, but a notch lower than Melbourne in a direct comparison. I love both equally
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The source is quotes from the restaurant owners/chef when announcing their move ... no secret.
Hmmm...Doesn't really seem like it has anything to do with Melbourne.

He said on Thursday the pair would end their "journey" with Sepia on December 31, not renewing the lease following the decision of longtime partner and friend, George Costi to retire.

"Together, we will bring our Sepia story to an end on what, we hope, will be an appropriate finale worthy of such a great restaurant," he said.

Ms Wild said it was not a choice between Sydney or Melbourne, rather an opportunity that presented itself.

"You have to go where the work is," she said.

"But we're not picking up Sepia Sydney and putting it in Melbourne. It's all too easy to stall. We're going to change the game."

Mr Benn said chefs don't usually get such an opportunity.

"In Chris Lucas, we have found a dynamic, fiercely independent restaurateur whose vision and talent will provide us with the unique opportunity to fulfil our dreams beyond what we could have ever thought possible," Mr Benn said.
http://www.afr.com/brand/australias-...#ixzz4dWG85hxL

Simply put Melbourne has greater infrastructure for high-end dining and more customers willing to pay those prices daily than Sydney does.
That's just incorrect. Sydney has far more hatted restaurants than Melbourne, and has a bigger pool of well heeled diners. Considering how hard it is to get a reservation at Sepia, it would be odd for them to claim they're moving because their customer pool isn't large enough. A restaurant like Sepia could be put in either city and will do well.

Food in Sydney is excellent, amongst the best in the world, but a notch lower than Melbourne in a direct comparison. I love both equally
Each to their own I guess. I've never noticed the difference.

Last edited by bensyd; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:53 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somehow Spice Alley has flown under my radar since it opened about a year ago. I went yesterday for lunch after a meeting down near Central. It calls itself a food court, but it's really not, at least not in the way I imagine a food court to be (see pic). I got the chatterbox chicken from Alex Lee Kitchen and the prawn dumplings from Hong Kong Diner. Grand total $19. And really excellent. I'll be going back.

http://www.kensingtonstreet.com.au/

Old May 17, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: points traveller
the rents must be astronomical to match the prices being charged by the vendors here. $19 for one piece of chicken thigh curry and 2 roti from the malaysian place to the left of this photo the other week.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spice Alley looks great and sounds tasty. I must get there one day.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:36 pm

Somehow Spice Alley has flown under my radar since it opened about a year ago. I went yesterday for lunch after a meeting down near Central. It calls itself a food court, but it's really not, at least not in the way I imagine a food court to be (see pic). I got the chatterbox chicken from Alex Lee Kitchen and the prawn dumplings from Hong Kong Diner. Grand total $19. And really excellent. I'll be going back.

http://www.kensingtonstreet.com.au/

This is definitely a thing now, there's also Hawker Lane up in Chatswood which is a similar "food court" concept.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
This is definitely a thing now, there's also Hawker Lane up in Chatswood which is a similar "food court" concept.
Is that the one at the railway station? I only cross the bridge to visit my accountant.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:53 pm

Is that the one at the railway station? I only cross the bridge to visit my accountant.
No - That's called "The District" and more traditional food court like. Hawker Lane is in Westfield, lower ground floor with an entrance on Victoria Avenue and Anderson Lane.

That is food courtish but each store has it's own layout and external decoration and has a vibe like Spice Alley.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Re: Lord Nelson

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
it's a pub
Did get a look at the Lord Nelson on a recent trip. Yep, it's a pub with an upstairs restaurant. We were there on Tuesday & the Brasserie feature was Indian Curry Night. Since that didn't interest us we did some research on Trip Adviser & walked down Argyle St to Scarlett Restaurant where we had an excellent experience ... good food & very nice atmosphere.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by BH62
Did get a look at the Lord Nelson on a recent trip. Yep, it's a pub with an upstairs restaurant. We were there on Tuesday & the Brasserie feature was Indian Curry Night. Since that didn't interest us we did some research on Trip Adviser & walked down Argyle St to Scarlett Restaurant where we had an excellent experience ... good food & very nice atmosphere.
Glad you found somewhere - it's a shame the Lord Nelson was doing curry, Sydney is full of Indian restaurants, it's fine for a pub to do one or two dishes but "curry night" sounds a bit unnecessary
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Glad you found somewhere - it's a shame the Lord Nelson was doing curry, Sydney is full of Indian restaurants, it's fine for a pub to do one or two dishes but "curry night" sounds a bit unnecessary
Does seem.a weird environment for a curry night.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BH62
...walked down Argyle St to Scarlett Restaurant where we had an excellent experience ... good food & very nice atmosphere.
The gem on Argyle is Sake (the restaurant), still good though not as great as when it first opened. Try the kingfish jalapeno sashimi. Sake is going global (I think they plan to have 30+ locations within a year) having been bought by the same group that bought Rockpool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.