Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thread merger / making the Oceania forum better

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Sounds like you don't the judgment to be a good moderator to make all these terrible changes without consulting the members. And now your solution is to leave the forum like this? Most threads have NOT been de-merged.

I will be writing to the site owners.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
What the merger system has done is discourage people with personalised itineraries from seeking advice on their personalised circumstances - precisely the raison d'ętre of this forum. It's unwelcoming and attempts to pigeon hole people's itineraries almost Contiki style.

We are suggesting improvements and providing feedback - the feedback is that the thread merger and demerger as has been performed is not user friendly.

The way to make it more user friendly is to demerge what has been done more than has been done to date.

With respect, the threat to close the thread if it continues to be a moan and groan thread is, in some ways, disrespectful to members and does not portray you in a good light when this whole situation was caused and done without any consultation or warning on a unilateral basis.

In saying all this, I do not comment with malice but with much disappointment.

If the suggestions above to demerger further are not accepted or acknowledged and my comment causes this thread to be closed then, really, there is nothing else to be said.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Mar 10, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
3) I do value constructive feedback into how we can all make the forum better. However, if the thread continues to be a general moan and request to turn back the clock then I'll close this thread.
This thread was never a moan, it was a direct and simple request that you consistently ignored. Now you say it is not easy to roll back to Feb 24th, that's the first time you've acknowledged us.

I respect that you are trying to do a good job but feel quite slighted by your approach and replies to this thread. This latest response has even escalated to threats. Not sure I'll be back.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I respect that you are trying to do a good job but feel quite slighted by your approach and replies to this thread. This latest response has even escalated to threats. Not sure I'll be back.
You're not the only one who feels that way. I won't be bothering with this forum anymore. I don't need to be treated like a naughty school boy.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Posting as the Community Director, I'm sincerely sorry that changes have not worked well. I've heard directly from several of you. Each person wrote in a polite and helpful way. I have exchanged notes several times with Kiwi Flyer. He has done a superb job in the Hilton forum. I recognize that the Oceania forum is completely different in character and needs a light hand. We've talked about that. I know how discouraging it is when you feel your thoughts are ignored. Kiwi Flyer has unwound a number of threads as a result of your feedback. I know that he has an exceptionally busy professional career and hasn't always been able to respond in the moment. But I also know he is a very thoughtful and methodical person and wants only the best for the forum. It's a very delicate task to merge enough to be helpful but not to over merge. Sometimes, queries really are repetitive and it's good to have information consolidated. Sometimes, queries are unique to the person and should remain standalone. Let's see if that delicate harmony can be found.

I truly am sorry that we have upset a core group of helpful FlyerTalkers and I apologize for that. Please give the forum a chance and consider continuing your helpful ways.

Carol
Community Director
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have known kiwi flyer for over a decade an am certain they did not intend to cause any angst. They may have perceived a problem but, I guess, went too far (the question about there being not really being a problem in the first place aside).

Intentions aside, let's hope the reverions go well.

One thing I will advise relates to this:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

Separately, I'd also encourage more use of wikiposts. There is information that is very useful that is buried deep in threads, with often the same info posted to many threads. Placing in a wikipost will make the information more accessible, and also more easily maintained as information changes ...
The trouble with the FT wiki implementation is that those using hand held devices can't see them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.