Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:50 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The SYD showers run by the airport are landside so publicly accessible by everyone not in transit -- ideal for arriving pax to use after clearing customs. The airside showers are in various lounges in the departure level (I don't think any non-lounge showers are airside).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Arrow SYD Sydney Airport flight connections

I am connecting in Sydney (from Melbourne) on Virgin Australia and my flight lands at 7:25am. If my next flight is at 8:55am, is that enough time to get from the domestic to international terminal in the Sydney airport including time to go through customs/passport control (1hr 30 mins)?

A few things to note:
-I will not check any bags
-the connecting flight is on a different airline (Korean Air)

Are there tips/suggestions to help expedite the transfer between the terminals? I have read varying suggestions but wanted to see specifically for the time frame of 7:30am at the Sydney airport. I would even consider booking business class to be at the front of the plane to get off more quickly.

Any helpful hints or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
browneyed, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Let me move this to the Oceania forum where issues arising in Australia are often discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

browneyed welcome to FT
Are these 1 ticket or 2 seperate tickets/PNRs?
But anyway do not even think about. Go to Sydney the night before
There is some distance between the terminals that require you to take a bus or train

Edit
Old thread on this topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...-domestic.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 23, 2015 at 5:02 pm Reason: added link
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: QFWP; HH Diamond
Nah, that is way too tight. 6am - 9am at SYD is peak arrival time for both domestic and international. If you don't get a holding pattern for your inbound, you may well be delayed on the tarmac for the gate.

As you are on VA, you will arrive at T2, you will have to collect your bags, find your way to the train station and get on the train to T1 (international). When I say train, do not imagine an inter-terminal free shuttle type train. The train at SYD is a regular commuter train and it will set your back around $12AUD and they only come at set scheduled times as this train is part of the regular Sydney commuter network.

Once you get to T1, you will make your way to check in. If you have status or are J/F with KE, you will get an express pass to fast track your journey though immigration. If not, you will need to line up with the masses. As with your arrival, your departure time is in the middle of Prime Time.

I fear that you are in for a whole lot of heartache here.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta, United
Thank you so much for the quick replies!

I am in "Prestige Class" (Korean Air's business class) for the second/connecting Korean Air flight - does that mean I would get an express pass through immigration?

They are separate tickets.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
I can add that this is definitely not long enough. At that time of the morning flights will likely be delayed and you need allow at least half an hour (even HLO) for the transfer in the best of circumstances.

Personally, i think 3 hours is actually cutting it a little bit fine on separate tickets at that time of day.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by cirqueboy
The train at SYD is a regular commuter train and it will set your back around $12AUD and they only come at set scheduled times as this train is part of the regular Sydney commuter network.
pretty sure the train is only around $5 - $5.50, as is the bus transfer service from Domestic to International.

If everything ran perfectly you could do it, since you're going to have express pass and check-in... but I wouldn't want to chance it with peak times and the risk of delays, I'd get a flight to Sydney the night before.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
On 2 separate tickets, I wouldn't even think about it.

Depending on what time of the year you are travelling, you may also be hit with fog leaving MEL which means you're gone. There may be fog in the morning in SYD too.

Irrespective of the weather, even if you get off at SYD up front in VA J, you will still have to make your way to the International terminal. At that time of morning, with trains going the reverse of peak hour, there's 2 trains every 15 minutes. On weekends it's 1 train every 15 minutes. For you to make it, you will need to buy a ticket (the machines can be ridiculously slow if you're paying by credit card), then go down the stairs and hope the train is on time or you hit the station just as the train pulls in.

Even if the check-in at SYD closes at T-40mins, that gives you only 50 minutes to get off the VA flight (assuming it arrives on time), walk through the terminal (who knows which gate you'll end up at - the furthest is a good 7 minute walk from the train station), buy a train ticket, get a train, get up to the terminal and check-in.

With so many possibilities of delay, I wouldn't risk it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:40 am
Original Member

If you were flying QF then 90 min is plenty -- I've made lots of 60 min connections. QF runs a bus airside and transfers bags which makes a big difference. But QF codeshares with Asiana not KE so not sure if they interline with the competition. KE checkin closes at 60 min before flight time, so you have 30 min to reclaim bags from VA and get between terminals. Given the long delays that VA has in delivering baggage at SYD (I refuese to fly them because of this, in my experience), it will be tight even with an on-time arrival. Interesting that a connection that would be routing (QF-OZ) becomes difficult (VA-KE). You are obviously on the 6am flight MEL-SYD so the only option is to fly the night before and add hotel cost to the connection. I'd try to switch to QF after checking that they interline with KE (good chance that they do, despite their Asiana tie-in). As an aside, having flown both KE and OZ, J on OZ is considerably better.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Sydney Airport - Domestic to International Timing and Logistics

Agree with the general view. I have had a much longer connection time (~2.5 hours) and only just made it. I would never say you cannot make the connection, but I wouldn't dream of trying it. Rydges hotel is across the street from the international terminal and will shuttle you (free) from domestic. If you join their loyalty program you get a discount on room rates (or at least that was my experience earlier this year).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:43 am

Eeek, I recently booked an award ticket with the return MEL-LAX with a connection in SYD. Based on this thread I'm feeling like the 1 hour 40 minute connection is not enough. It's a business award on VA. There's an earlier flight from MEL I can try. Any thoughts on this? Same airline and same ticket, all business. I'm guessing VA809 MEL-SYD still lands at the domestic terminal. Still too tight?

Would it help/is it possible to buy the train ticket when we arrive in SYD at the beginning of the trip??

Thanks for all the input!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 am
Original Member

You might want to read what VA provides for single-ticket connections (a lot nicer than with separate tickets): "Domestic Check-in Connecting through Sydney

When you check in at a domestic port, your bags will be checked through to your final destination. You will receive a transfer wallet, which contains a map of the transfer port and a bus pass to use in Sydney. Upon arriving in Sydney, make your way to the transfer lounge at Gate 46 and check in for your international flight. Once you have received a boarding pass for your international flight, you will be shown downstairs to the transfer bus – which will take you to the International Terminal. If you are issued with a boarding pass at the transfer lounge, you will not be required to check in again at the International Terminal."
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by number_6
If you were flying QF then 90 min is plenty -- I've made lots of 60 min connections. QF runs a bus airside and transfers bags which makes a big difference. But QF codeshares with Asiana not KE so not sure if they interline with the competition. KE checkin closes at 60 min before flight time, so you have 30 min to reclaim bags from VA and get between terminals. Given the long delays that VA has in delivering baggage at SYD (I refuese to fly them because of this, in my experience), it will be tight even with an on-time arrival. Interesting that a connection that would be routing (QF-OZ) becomes difficult (VA-KE). You are obviously on the 6am flight MEL-SYD so the only option is to fly the night before and add hotel cost to the connection. I'd try to switch to QF after checking that they interline with KE (good chance that they do, despite their Asiana tie-in). As an aside, having flown both KE and OZ, J on OZ is considerably better.
OP says he has no checked in baggage...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:20 am

Thanks number_6! After reading the earlier comments I was searching Sydney airport maps, should have just checked the VA website. Booked through Delta and haven't ever connected through SYD. I appreciate the help.

Good luck, OP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.