Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Print Wikipost

Airport info CAIRNS (CNS) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Post Airport info CAIRNS (CNS) - amenities, transfers, transport

I need to take an early flight from CNS to SYD on 26th October.

The earliest flight that day is Virgin Australia at 05:10am. What time would I have to arrive to check in bags for that flight and how doable is it at that time in the morning in Cairns from a city hotel?

Or is it worth getting the JetStar 07:10am flight?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
VA has 45 min cutoff for checkin so you'd have to be at airport by 4am. You can prebook a taxi the night before, otherwise pretty risky. JQ is similar to VA, even arrives in SYD at the same (crummy) terminal. QF is the more luxurious service
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by number_6
VA has 45 min cutoff for checkin so you'd have to be at airport by 4am. You can prebook a taxi the night before, otherwise pretty risky. JQ is similar to VA, even arrives in SYD at the same (crummy) terminal. QF is the more luxurious service
If you do not have QP access, the food offerings at SYD T2 (JQ and VA) are better than SYD T3 (QF).

I wouldn't call it crummy. Crumby maybe as there is a Brasserie Bread outlet in T2.

Re CNS, airport is the same no matter which airline.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: QF Platinum
It's no more than a 11 minute drive from a city hotel to the terminal (and often just 6 or 7).

Getting a cab at that time of the morning might be a bit tough though - Number_6 is right - you should prebook one... and I would be inclined to book it a little earlier than you actually need it - there's a good chance of it being late at that time of the morning.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks – sounds easy enough. Decided to go for the early 5:10 flight which then gives me a complete day in Sydney.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:36 am

The only downside to landing at Sydney at that time of the morning on a Thursday is that the roads into the city will be a right pain in the neck.

If you don't have much luggage you might want to consider the train - which will be quicker than a cab - but will be packed full of city bound commuters so an absolute non-starter if you have luggage. Also if there are 3 or more of you get a cab - it will be cheaper (the train is frightfully expensive for what it is).

Have fun. Cairns is one of my favourite places.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up. Not actually heading into Sydney on the Thursday morning - going a wedding south west of Sydney. Will definitely consider that though on the days I am spending in Sydney!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by luftaom
The only downside to landing at Sydney at that time of the morning on a Thursday is that the roads into the city will be a right pain in the neck.

If you don't have much luggage you might want to consider the train - which will be quicker than a cab - but will be packed full of city bound commuters so an absolute non-starter if you have luggage. Also if there are 3 or more of you get a cab - it will be cheaper (the train is frightfully expensive for what it is).

Have fun. Cairns is one of my favourite places.
I wouldn't call the SYD airport train a 'non-starter' if you have luggage, even during rush hour. It can be uncomfortable, yes, but lots and lots of people get on this train with luggage every day at this time. I've done it, it wasn't that bad... better than sitting in a taxi for twice the time and three times the cost.

It depends on the size of your luggage I suppose but for the typical traveler it is fine.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:35 am

Ok - absolute non-starter was a tad much.

Having said that if you have a check-in size luggage and are trying to get on a train between 8:15 and 8:40 on a workday (i.e. peak demand for city office workers starting at 9) then it can be quite difficult to get on the train (particularly from domestic as you have the disadvantage of international passengers getting on at the previous stop with their luggage). I'd be particularly nervous about suggesting it - especially if you are getting off at a station with multiple exits like Wynyard or Town Hall where you will definitely be in the way if you are stopped trying to work out which exit you need.

Although as you say it is Catch 22 - the traffic is terrible and you can spend a long (and expensive) time sat in a cab on Southern Cross Drive/Botany Road hardly moving.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:30 am

It's definitely a hassle. And yes domestic is worse, especially that time of day as many international flights land from 6:30-7:30 and those passengers are just getting on the train ahead of you.

For me, if the train suits my destination I always take the train if I'm solo. With two people, usually a taxi.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
How early to arrive at CNS

Hi, I think this is a general topic for questions about CNS logistics, so I am posting a new question unrelated to the original post here. If that is not correct, I apologize for posting in the wrong place.

I have an international flight on Cathay Pacific (CX) departing from CNS at 8:20 am on a Sunday next month. I will have a bag to check and am flying in business class. I did check the CNS and Cathay Pacific websites. The airport website recommends arriving 2 -3 hours before the flight, and the CX website notes that check-in opens three hours before and closes 40 minutes before the flight's scheduled departure. It seems like I might be OK getting to the airport less than two hours before my flight. So, I wanted to get opinions from people with first hand knowledge about how far in advance I should arrive at CNS in this situation. Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

If in business class, 90 minutes should be fine. You could probably get away with 60 minutes if you wanted to.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Thanks, CPMaverick. I was hoping around 90 minutes would be sufficient so I can get a little more sleep the night before my flight
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Cairns Airport Clearance Time for Domestic Flight

I expect to land at 130pm on a 4/28 (Sunday) and take a separate flight to Sydney.

Is one hour between arrival and departure enough time?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by op487062
I expect to land at 130pm on a 4/28 (Sunday) and take a separate flight to Sydney.

Is one hour between arrival and departure enough time?
Even a domestic to domestic flight I would not risk 60 minutes on separate tickets
If an international flight inbound even more.
If the incoming is late, by say 15 minutes you may miss the cut off for the next flight

But if you want to take the risk, its your money

https://www.cairnsairport.com.au/tra...info/arrivals/
op487062 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.