Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ South Island itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Post NZ South Island itinerary help (not city/region specific)

I and my wife are arriving at CHC on Dec 20th and leaving on 5th of Jan. So except flights and car I have not planned anything yet. Yes, I know, I know...

I would like to hear your suggestions how to best utilize these days and where to book lodging without a need to sell kidneys to pay for it. Interest - nature, hiking, but not extreme - 5-7km per day max.

Separate question - what would be the best place to celebrate New Year?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: Virtuoso
The best place (in my opinion) to celebrate NYE on the South Island would be Queenstown.

That being said, you are at the mercy of what is left for accommodation and whatever they feel like charging. You are literally going the busiest two week period of the year and booking 6 weeks in advance to a place with not enough accommodation to keep up with demand.

CHC doesn't have much to do in town itself, but Caterbury does have a lot to offer. Lots of hiking to the west of town. Wineries to the North. Akaroa is a fun day trip. You could spend a couple nights driving and hiking along the way to Queenstown. Or, you could flip the direction a bit and drive to Queenstown via Dunedin.

Don't try to do Milford or Doubtful as a day trip. It is just too long of a day. Overnight in Te Anau.

Good luck.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel K
The best place (in my opinion) to celebrate NYE on the South Island would be Queenstown.

That being said, you are at the mercy of what is left for accommodation and whatever they feel like charging. You are literally going the busiest two week period of the year and booking 6 weeks in advance to a place with not enough accommodation to keep up with demand.
Just checked. Nothing is available, so tossing this out. Any other options?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel K
The best place (in my opinion) to celebrate NYE on the South Island would be Queenstown..
Originally Posted by invisible
Just checked. Nothing is available, so tossing this out. Any other options?
Yep. If you want to stay in Queenstown NYE and have not booked accommodation, you will be sleeping under a tree (as many others do)

Wanaka is not far away

Nelson is also likely to be booked out, but not as bad a Queenstown
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
You should probably approach it as "what is the best available" not what is "the best to do" . Wanaka is a great place to stay and a great option when Queenstown is full, but if you plan on driving in for NYE, it is a solid hour drive. Nelson is awesome, if you can get a room. CHC is a big enough town I am sure you can find something fun to do. The west coast is great, but they are all small towns, so I doubt it is anything too fancy. Not sure what Dunedin does. That is about it for towns of any size.

You could look into a camper van, assuming any are available, and freedom camp. Same as accommodation though, it will be hard to find a spot, especially if you wait until last minute.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
You're arriving in CHC the same day I did last year!

My opinions below...we spent only a week on the South Island, so you definitely have more time to explore certain parts that we didn't end up getting to.

-Christchurch - not really a heck of a lot going on, IMO. A nice place to spend a night or two to get adjusted to the timezone, but nothing big, IMO.

-Arthur's Pass - a very scenic drive, with some reasonably easy hikes to do. Really only manageable if you are cool driving the West Coast, which in all honesty was something I could do without now that I have visited the glaciers.

-Franz Josef / Fox Glaciers - Franz Josef is a bit cozier of a town when it comes to accommodations, but I liked it better than Fox. Hike the glaciers, go heli-hiking (may be hard to get a reservation at this point), or kayaking out on the lake - plenty of options.

-Mt. Aspiring - I would come back here and spend more time, simply because there are tons of hikes to do. Really scenic with the mountains against the backdrop of rolling farmland.

-Wanaka - touristy but phenomenal views of the lake. Visit Rippon and have some wine if it's a nice day for sure.

-Queenstown - really touristy, and TBH glad I only stayed one night in town. I would come back to do more outdoors activities, but it's very crowded at this time of year.

-Te Anau - absolutely my favorite part of the trip. We stayed at Fjordland Lodge (yes, the prices are up there when it comes to kidneys), but it was just so relaxing, and the view of Lake Te Anau against the backdrop of the mountains here is something I will never forget.

-Milford Sound - we kayaked it on Christmas! Lots of annoying little bugs flying around on the land, but it is super peaceful when you are in the middle of the sound with nothing else nearby (except some planes buzzing over now and then). The drive into town is quite scenic as well. Lots of trails to hike as well if you are interested (we only did a short one after the kayaking).

Personally, I would like to go north to Nelson and Marlborough next time, as I know that is where some of NZ's finest wines come from. Plenty of vineyards to visit in Central Otago (Queenstown) as well.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Folks, thanks for suggestions.

I spent whole night yesterday for research and booking (available) accommodations. Here is what I got and would like to hear comments/suggestions:

Dec 21st - arrival (at 11:30AM) get car, drive across rd 73. Stop and spend night either at Kumara or Graymouth (have not booked yet a hotel)

Dec 22 - pancake rocks, then drive south, Franz Joseph glacier, walks/hikes. Night at pine Grove Motel.

Dec 23rd - depart, continue on road 6, Blue Pools walk, the Neck, arrive at Wanaka, one night there.

Dec 24th - depart, go thru Crown Range rd to Queenstown where I have booked last room at (probably shi..y) motel for $150/night for two nights. Check in, go around Queenstown but probably it will be dead that day.

Dec 25th - Drive around - Arthur's Point, Glenorchy, go back.

Dec 26 - checkout and that day I booked 'Milford Track Fly Walk Cruise Fly' which should take 8.5h. It was $600 per person but what the hack - it probably once a lifetime experience.

That's it so for in terms of what is planned. My questions:
- is it too ambitious/overloaded? Will we have enough time for hikes in addition to drive?
- I was told that kayaking/cruise at Doubtful Sound is must, and I should take the longest cruise which goes all the way till ocean. From a brief look at tour operators it is not clear which one offers such. But the related question is - does it makes sense to do it after Milford?

- if taking above cruise is must, than how difficult would be to drive to Te Anau/Manapuri after the Milford Treck? Or should we stay that day (26th) at Queenstown too and drive next day (27th), arrive, stay one night and go to on cruise on 28th?

- On wiki travel I found a tour operator offering three day trek at Stewart Island. Anybody has taken this or similar tour? How was it? Would it be better to take this and skip the above cruise?

- we plan to arrive at Christchurch at 4th of Jan just for one night and leave next day. Still where to stay/meet New Year is open, as well as the route/sights/lodging between Invercargill and Christchurch.

Thanks again.

Last edited by invisible; Nov 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent whole night yesterday for research and booking (available) accommodations. Here is what I got and would like to hear comments/suggestions:
Dec 21st - arrival (at 11:30AM) get car, drive across rd 73. Stop and spend night either at Kumara or Graymouth (have not booked yet a hotel)
Be careful if driving (right hand drive) if coming off a long haul flight. SH73 is a narrow single lane twisting road for half the length. A USA style interstate it is not.
http://www.finetoursnewzealand.co.nz...hway-73-do1615
http://www.christchurchnz.com/gettin...lpine-highway/
http://www.newzealand.com/int/trips-...-arthurs-pass/

You are likely to have no trouble finding accommodation in Kumara or Greymouth. Few international type hotels, so will be a motel. Motels in NZ (& Aust) are better quality than in USA
http://www.jasons.co.nz/ (accommodation guide)
http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/
http://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and-...ce-calculator/ Time & distance calculator

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 3, 2016 at 11:34 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Be careful if driving (right hand drive) if coming off a long haul flight. SH73 is a narrow single lane twisting road for half the length. A USA style interstate it is not.
If you sleep properly on the plane, you should be okay. I drove it the next day (did Christchurch all the way to Franz Josef) and had zero issues making the drive.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Updated itenerary

Thanks for tips and suggestions. Here is revised itinerary. Would appreciate comments and feedbacks:

Dec 21st - Arrival. Grab car, drive to Arthur's pass, check it at YHA Arthur's Pass. Arrive, rest, walk, stay for night.

Dec 22nd - Check out, walk/hike around during the day. Drive to go see Pancake Rocks at sunset, drive to Ross and stay one night there at a motel.

Dec 23rd - check out, continue driving towards Fox Glacier or Pine Grove Motel 30km south.

Dec 24th - Long drive to Queenstown. On the way stop by and do Blue Pools Walk, drive between lakes Wanaka and Hawaea, stop by at Wanaka town for a meal. Arrive at Pinewood Lodge (quite ...... according to reviews, but it was the only available for these nights without paying >$500 per night), stay there for two nights.

Dec 24th/25th - Christmas eve/day: do local sightseeing Arrowtown Glenorchy, Arthurs Point.

Dec 26th - Tour to Milford Sound, come back, drive to Roxburgh, one night there via airbnb.

Dec 27th - Leave and drive to Lazy Dolphin Lodge, stay two nights there.

Dec 28th/29th - Explore Catlins

Dec 29th - Stay one night at Surat Bay Lodge

Dec 30th - Check out and drive to Dunedin and stay there for two night at AirBnB place

Jan 1st - Leave Dunedin, drive to Oamaru, stay there at AirBnB place for two night

Jan 3rd - Leave Oamaru and go back Christchurch. Have not booked accommodation yet. Stay two nights at AirBnB place at Christchurch.

Jan 5th - Fly back.

Now questions:

Arrival and drive towards Arthur's Pass - where would you recommend to stop by to get some food? I was told that food at Arthur's Pass is not that great at most places and it is only one place - at 5* lodge, but it would cost $90 and more per person to dine there. I'd rather go to a local sandwich shop and and get $7 sandwich or by supplies at supermarket.

Separate food related question: does it make sense to to buy a small, portable grill to be able to grill meat during our trip?

Fox/FJG - I understand we can see/walk just one of them for one day but not both. Reading Wiki articles inclines me to go towards Fox and do hike to the glacier and walk around Lake Matheson. What do you think? Is there anything else must see?

Drive towards Wanaka/Queenstown - except what I've listed above, anything else must see?

Accomodations at Lazy Dolphin and Surat Bay lodges - anybody stayed there? What to expect? If you have stayed at both, which one would you choose?

Is there anything to see/not to miss when driving from Roxburgh to south and from above mentioned places towards Dunedin?

What one can do at New Year at Dunedin? Any places to go/have fun?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrival and drive towards Arthur's Pass - where would you recommend to stop by to get some food? I was told that food at Arthur's Pass is not that great at most places and it is only one place - at 5* lodge, but it would cost $90 and more per person to dine there. I'd rather go to a local sandwich shop and and get $7 sandwich or by supplies at supermarket.
There is new supermarket at the CHC airport (~250m from rental car pickup). There is a Raewards Harewood fresh food place just to the north on the airport. (Turn left at airport supermarket) West Melton, Darfeild & Shefeild on SH73 will have (very) small shops.

Athurs Pass will not have a supermarket, or any thing reassembling a supermarket. Arthurs Pass is small, even by Kiwiland standards. You should be able to get a meal at the pub

Separate food related question: does it make sense to to buy a small, portable grill to be able to grill meat during our trip?
No You seem to have some booked self catering places. You will not starve.

Dunedin to Oamaru is not far. Would not spend 2 nights in Oamaru (or even 1 night). The road Dunedin to Christchurch is not that interesting. I have often driven that without stopping
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for food related options. Probably will go at supermarket and stock up there. This trip would already cost me more than all previous four year vacation expenses combined and really do not want to spend every day >$100 eating at restaurants... Get grilled chicken, bread, some veggies, make sandwiches and you are ready to go.

Dunedin to Oamaru is not far. Would not spend 2 nights in Oamaru (or even 1 night). The road Dunedin to Christchurch is not that interesting. I have often driven that without stopping
Well, according to travel site, it is steampunk capital on NZ, that's why I decided to make stop there. Plus is not penguin colony right next to it?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be easy to spend far less than $100 per day on food. Without resorting to MacDonalds/Burger King/KFC. Suburban pubs, where locals hang out, often have good value counter meals.

Oamaru will by OK if you have some plans to see some things/activities.

Nearer CHC you could spend a day over the hill in Akaroa
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Will be easy to spend far less than $100 per day on food. Without resorting to MacDonalds/Burger King/KFC. Suburban pubs, where locals hang out, often have good value counter meals.
Regarding food - what is the dish which we should try during visit there? I WILL NOT go and stand for 2h line for that burger in Queenstown.

Oamaru will by OK if you have some plans to see some things/activities.
Any advices except going and seen penguins? When/where is the best to see them?

On a larger scale, what one should do/see on the road from Queenstown to Dunedin?

Last edited by invisible; Nov 6, 2016 at 6:04 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:33 am

NZ: Two weeks on the south island

We need some recommendation about our New Zealand visit. We will arrive in AKL in the late afternoon of 2 april and depart in the evening of 16 april. As NZ school holiday starts 14 april, we should be lucky to be there in a less crowded season for most of the time.
For now our plan is to stay one night in a AKL airport hotel, then fly to CHC. There we will hire a car to explore the south island.
We want to spend couple of days at the seaside and also tramp in the mountains. We're often hiking regular in remote areas without seeing any other person for days, so I don't think we would be happy if we only do frequent visited dayhikes in NZ.

Best beach area I could find is Abel Tasman, but how crowded will it be in april? We aren't a fan of camping next to groups of other people, could we stay there a little away from others or is it only allowed to camp in a small area next to each hut?
If we drive a circel (CHC, Abel Tasman, Paparoa National Park (for Glowworm cave), Okarito for Kiwi Watching, Queenstown, Mt Cook, CHC), where should we add a couple of days for tramping, away from the crowds? Shouldn't be to long hikes, maybe just two separate overnight hikes as we don't have to much time left.
Could we just pitch our tent anywhere in the national parks or is it necessary to use official camp grounds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.