Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mordy2000
Good feedback re: weather and Blue Mountains. I'll scratch that from the list. We enjoy museums, and yes, hikes. I did see mention of the Botanical Gardens, Museum of Contemporary Art, Hyde Park Barrack... would also like to visit the Jewish Museum. If we do Manly and Spit Bridge, is it worth walking Bondi > Coogee or will it be too cold? Are there cool art galleries?

As for shopping, we like perusing upscale boutiques and window shopping... always looking for something different (Lisbon was pretty awesome in that regard). Heard Newtown might be good for that?

BTW, instead of PH, I was considering IC in Double Bay (only because I am IHG Platinum) -- any comparison or should I stick with PH?
Aussie here. I thoroughly enjoyed, if that's the right term the Jewish Museum. Hyde Park Barracks is great too giving you some history of our convict days. I'm not a walker but husband said Bondi to Bronte is great, although crowded on weekends.

Double Bay is out of the main city area. PH is in a fabulous location.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Your loss

Hang on to the advice here until you see the error of your ways.
Right on Badger! Just saw OP not coming to Oz.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:03 pm

Ha!! I was totally off on where the GOR was, thank you! As it turns out, it is on our map which I've attached and marked up and would appreciate comments on.

After I figure out accommodations, I'll figure out whether there is free parking, etc and determine if it's cheaper to rent for 2 weeks or only while we're out of Sydney.

Why not fly back to Sydney from Melbourne? Well for one, I like to drive and see new places, and two, a one way rental usually adds on a $400+ surcharge and then I have to pay airfare for 4 people. So that's probably $1000 extra to fly back to Sydney from Melbourne.

I've attached a map to this post, if you guys look at it and tell me I'm wasting several days of my time by driving and I'm missing out on a lot because of it, I'll definitely reconsider. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us as a family, so while I'm being careful of costs, I'm not going to worry about $1000 vs. compromising our experience.

Right now the only thing set in stone is we arrive at SYD Nov 26 at 6am and we fly out of SYD Dec 9th at 1130am. I have zero commitments at this point other than that.

My wife has been trying to figure out what to see and where we will be on what date so I can use that info to find accommodations. We're still at the where/when part of the planning

(As a side note, there are some restaurants listed on the right because my son has a soy allergy and my wife has been researching restaurants where he can eat soy free meals)
Attached Images  

Last edited by robr; Jun 22, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally looks OK.

As an alternative from PH you could drive around Westernport to Hastings- Rosebud - Sorrento - Portsea. There is a ferry across to Queenscliff. Start the GOR from there and visit Melbourne on the return. Just an option. http://www.searoad.com.au/

The inland route from W'bool GOR is often via Camperdown-Colac. Your route is going more north to the Hamilton Highway, which is what I do. (Terang - Mortlake area)

From Melbourne to NSW your route is the boring very busy multi lane Hume Highway, turning off to go Camden-Penrith and back to Katoomba. My route via Bathurst will be more interesting with a lot less big trucks. but is a longer (better) drive. But north east Victoria – south west NSW area is all the same. This area does not make touristy photo advertising brochures.

With 4 of you I would drive and not fly (as you like driving). It will take longer to drive than you first think. Take your time. Add an hour to your times on the map. Stop and look at sights. Take a side road from the Princes Highway to one of the coastal villages. You will have no trouble finding accommodation on the road on the day. Like Eden Nov 28 and Albury Dec 5. The big USA hotel chains are only in the large cities and not other areas.

The other option is to go somewhere very different like Alice Springs/Ayes Rock or Darwin or Far North Queensland (need to fly to these). How old are the kids?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 22, 2016 at 7:01 pm Reason: Added ferry link
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:28 pm

Mwenenzi, thank you so much for such a detailed response, it's great to have information from a local. It's quite overwhelming trying to plan in detail when you're half a world away. The kids are 10 and 11. We thought about Ayers Rock, I know my wife and I would love to see it, but we're certain the kids would look at it and go, yup, that's cool. Now what is there to actually do out here in the middle of nowhere?

One of the things my wife really wanted to do, but was unable to find anything along our route, is to experience the culture of the native aboriginal people. Do you happen to be aware of anything that might appeal to her that's not fake/tourist trap/exploitative?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robr
We thought about Ayers Rock, I know my wife and I would love to see it, but we're certain the kids would look at it and go, yup, that's cool. Now what is there to actually do out here in the middle of nowhere?
Look at the big rock. And a bit further out the Kta Tjuta Olgas (more rocks). There are gorges and other attractions out there but the distances and costs are great. Several thread on this topic in this forum. Some info & links here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...25-2014-a.html
But with kids 10 & 11 I would leave visiting the Alice & the Rock for another 5 years.

One of the things my wife really wanted to do, but was unable to find anything along our route, is to experience the culture of the native aboriginal people. Do you happen to be aware of anything that might appeal to her that's not fake/tourist trap/exploitative?
You won't find that in eastern NSW Victoria other than fake "for tourists" type traps. Need to go the outback, like in Alice Springs, for that.

The area you plan to visit is developed agriculture areas with some national parks.
http://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...national-parks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_of_Australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 22, 2016 at 7:03 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:40 pm

You'll certainly see some interesting parts of Australia in your planned trip. I'd suggest changing your schedule to add at least one extra day to the coastal drive, or even two. 4 or 5 hours driving a day on that route is plenty with the section down to the Victorian border having heaps of really nice places to stop for a coffee, walk, meal or overnight.
On your way back consider stopping in at Holbrook and getting a photo with the sub.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I've attached a map to this post, if you guys look at it and tell me I'm wasting several days of my time by driving and I'm missing out on a lot because of it, I'll definitely reconsider. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us as a family, so while I'm being careful of costs, I'm not going to worry about $1000 vs. compromising our experience.
You're wasting several days of your time driving and missing out on a lot.

Seriously, if this is a once in a lifetime trip I wouldn't waste 4 days driving Sydney-Melbourne-Sydney. The inland route between Sydney and Melbourne is boring. While there are a few nice towns along the way there is nothing really for a tourist to see. The coastal route is more interesting, but not really a once in lifetime sort of trip. If you really want to drive, then see if you can't get a one way relocation rental. They can be as cheap as $1/day sometimes with free fuel thrown in.

http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:04 pm

Bensyd, so if you were me, you'd fly from SYD to MEL, rent a car there, drive the GOR and then fly back from MEL to SYD?

Skip the drive altogether?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Trust me... you WILL see a trip report from me on my trip to Oz -- and this advice as been golden -- it's in the queue

Qantas is partially to blame for being so stingy with F/J seats -- at best I had coach with sub-optimal flight choices. Cathay handed me F on a silver platter of options.

I'm counting 331 days backwards from my anticipated visit from Oz and setting a reminder...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could drive the coast route one way. And fly the other. For example on 29 Nov QF have MEL SYD flights for $110 one way. Virgin/Jetstar may be cheaper
Not much to see on the inland routes. Blue Mountains are easily accessible from Sydney. There are long distance trains, but they are slow

Edit
Could take train Sydney to Wollongong (~2hrs) and rent a car from there. Driving in Sydney is not fun. https://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/l...ns/wollongong/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 22, 2016 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:38 pm

With only two weeks in Oz - I'd be flying Sydney <> Melbourne. Realistically it's an 11 hour drive with a couple of stops and no detours, and it's pretty boring.

Given your plans, I'd hire a car at the Melbourne end to do GoR, Phillip Island etc. and do without one in Sydney. There are regular trains to the Blue Mountains and Sydney airport is close to the CBD so taking a cab/Uber isn't too expensive.

Alternatively, can you fly into Melbourne and return home from Sydney or visa-versa?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bensyd, so if you were me, you'd fly from SYD to MEL, rent a car there, drive the GOR and then fly back from MEL to SYD?

Skip the drive altogether?
Or drive one way. I just feel you're going to be wasting a fair bit of time driving both ways and the drive is nothing to write home about. As Mwenenzi points out the Blue Mountains is only about 90 minutes from the CBD of Sydney so it would be easily accessible during your stay in Sydney.

If it was me, I'd probably do 5 days in Sydney, 5 days in Melbourne and then 4 in Tasmania. That'll give you the two big cities and also Tasmania, I don't know anyone who has been to Tasmania who didn't absolutely love the place.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:05 pm

So... Fly into SYD, spend 5 days including 1 day trip to blue mountains via train?

Then fly to MEL, rent a car
One day do GOR, my wife really wants to stay overnight at a farm near 12 apostles and also see glow worms, come back to MEL, do Phillip Island, spend time in MEL

then fly to Hobart, rent a car, spend 4 days in tasmania then fly home to US from there?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So... Fly into SYD, spend 5 days including 1 day trip to blue mountains via train?

Then fly to MEL, rent a car
One day do GOR, my wife really wants to stay overnight at a farm near 12 apostles and also see glow worms, come back to MEL, do Phillip Island, spend time in MEL

then fly to Hobart, rent a car, spend 4 days in tasmania then fly home to US from there?
That would be what I'd do. Tasmania will be magnitudes of order more interesting than the 4 days you'd spend driving between Sydney and Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.