Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It is often beach weather in November even tho summer doesn't start until 1st December. The obligatory ferry ride to Manly is a must and a walk along the beach. There are lots of market stalls there whrre you can buy Aussie nick nacks and souvenirs. Lots of pubs and cafes so have a traditional Aussie pub lunch or fish n chips on the beach.

In Oct and Nov there are often fireworks at Darling Harbour. Keep an eye out. Darlingharbour.com
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
So far for Barrier Reef I have come up with 3 day trips

Boat trip snorkeling reef
Train and Sky Ride to Karunda
Tour to Daintree and Mossaman Gorge

Anything else people recommend?

Are there different tours that go to different parts of the reef that are worth taking?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
We spent 5 day out on the reef, 2 days up by cooktown in the upper end of the rainfoest, the two days near Mossman by the lower end of the daintree. We had 4x4 and toured through daintree, cape tribultion, bloomfield track, etc.

We asked about the train and skyride, suspecting it would be a very toursity outing. Told it was petty 'disney-ish' and skipped it. Aftere being so remote and just hiking extensively on our own, we didnt want to ruin it with oppressive crowds, queues, man made waterfalls, etc.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

We asked about the train and skyride, suspecting it would be a very toursity outing. Told it was petty 'disney-ish' and skipped it. Aftere being so remote and just hiking extensively on our own, we didnt want to ruin it with oppressive crowds, queues, man made waterfalls, etc.
And that it isn't. Whoever told you that was severely misguided.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I was wondering what weather in Cairns and Sydney would be mid-late September?

Was checking tonight and found availability for Business Award flights on Delta for 110,000 miles and American for 80,000 miles, for multiple dates in September 2017.

Looking at leaving on Sept 14, which gives me arriving into Cairns on Sept 16 then 5 nights there then flying to Sydney for 7 nights and returning Sept 28.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just book the flights. They could be gone tomorrow, or even gone now.

Weather here in wikipedia
September is good weather.
Mid summer (Jan) in CNS and to a lesser extent in SYD can be humid & hot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:13 am

CPRich, just finished up our tour with Paul about an hour ago. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Originally Posted by CPRich
If you're arriving early morning, as I did, go take the I'm Free Tour at 10:30a. It will force you to avoid sleeping, getting on Oz time, and will give a very good orientation to the city. It ends down by the Opera House/Bridge, and goes through the Rocks district, so it gets you where you want to be with some good background/history. It's "free" up front, with a "pay what you think it's worth" pitch. It was a valuable 3-hour investment to us.

Walk Coogee to Bondi, not Bondi to Coogee. Bondi is the highlight, and there are more places to rest/snack/eat/etc. when you're done.

I don't recognize most of the items on Dec. 6. Is this along the GOR, or are you bypassing for an inland route? I'd recommend the drive, and it can take a full day. We were in Geelong by 10:30 and only got to Apollo Bay by sundown. You'll have several extra hours of sunlight, but you might want to stretch the trip along the southern coast to an extra day.

Your Dec. 7 day is exactly the same as ours. 12 Apostles by about 8:30, a few coastal stops ending at the Grotto, then return to Melbourne. We were in our hotel by 2:30, so you have extra time that day.

And as you appear to be a fellow F1 fan, you and Paul will have plenty to talk about. Just don't bore the rest of the family....
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:14 pm

We spent about 18 night in AUS last June. It broke down to 7 days in Sydney, 4 in MEL, 3 on GOR and balance in Hobart. I was very happy with choices, lots to see, did not feel rushed or have the feeling we were constantly packing and unpacking. It is a big place, you can't see all of it, don't try.

Of the 7 days in SYD, we did take a day trip by train to the Blue Mountains. While it was a fun day, that day was cold (maybe 5-7 C / 40-45 F, with howling, I mean HOWLING wind). It was beautiful and nice to see, so if I was in the area during warmer months I would be inclined to spend a couple of nights up there. There seemed to be a lot of trials and sights to fill the time.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I was in Oz this late September/early October. Weather was very nice except for brief rain on one or two days. It's early spring, so bring a medium jacket along.

While in the SYD area, I recommend a day or two in the Blue Mountains. I really enjoyed the sights in Katoomba, and while it sounds sappy, "Scenic World" there was fun, with various ways to get down to the valley and nice walks/hikes through the woods. The drive to/from SYD is easy and scenic.

http://www.scenicworld.com.au/

I stayed at a very nice little tourist level motel, can let you know the name if you want something inexpensive but comfortable.

Have fun! It's a great place to visit.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Accor, Tap, Marriott, Executive Club, Smiles
It doesnt have.

After establishing contact via e-mail with the customer service of both airports I was informed that both Sydney and Pert airport doesnt have hair salon inside any of its terminals, nationally and internationally.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by CelsoMoreira
After establishing contact via e-mail with the customer service of both airports I was informed that both Sydney and Pert airport doesnt have hair salon inside any of its terminals, nationally and internationally.
Thank you for following up, it will be helpful to the next search.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Thanks for the suggestions all! We do plan on renting a car, so that will make access much easier. Is it worth taking a leisurely drive to Melbourne from Sydney (maybe stopping at beach towns along the way), and then taking a one-way flight back? Or is it kind of a bland drive? Perhaps that time would be better spent in the cities?

Also are there any "unusual sites" along the way that may be worth checking out? We love things that are out-of-the-norm.
I did this a few years ago with my wife and kids. It was lovely and plenty of isolated completely empty beaches.

We did SYD > Kangaroo Valley (not a beach town) > Mallacoota > Lakes Entrance > Philip Island > Melbourne.

One way fee on the car wasn't much (Hertz)
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:53 pm

6 Days along the east coast of AUS

Hey All,

I've done a bit of searching and researching and am somewhat torn as to how to best spend our 6 days along the coast.

There's a desire to go to Cairns and then visit Arlie and the Whitstunday area, but I'm not sure if my time allows for both.

Likely our Cairns time will be something along the lines of:
Trip out to the reef, trip to the Karunda sky rail, trip to the rain forest.

A quick flight to PPP where we can spend some time exploring Hamilton, Whitehaven beach and the inlet.

Is budgetting 3 days for each too little? or am I able to maybe do 4-2 or something along those lines.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
When are you going?

What are you looking for?

Where are your entry and exit points from Australia?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
When are you going?

What are you looking for?

Where are your entry and exit points from Australia?
Thanks for the response JClass.

To answer your questions:
1. We'll be arriving mid February and leaving mid March.

2. I'm open to any and all activities, I think the things we have on our list to see are things like GBR, Whitehaven, Karunda. But past that we're not dead set on anything. None of us are certified divers, but we'd be open to doing a discovery dive as well

3. Our entry and exit points are Sydney. We have friends there so we'll arrive and spend a few days with them. Then fly to Ayers rock for a few days. Then to Melbourne for a few, pop over to Tasmania for a few, up to Carins for a few, then to Arlie/Whitsundays before returning to Sydney for our trip home.

Most of the other schedule is pretty well planned. By the time we arrive in Cairns, we'll have 6 ish days before we need to be back in Sydney to catch our flight home.

Hope that helps with your questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.