New Zealand AdHD

Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

New Zealand AdHD

Hi, I plan on going to New Zealand. I read some past threads and will declare my medication to Customs but does anyone know if I will have issues with my Adderall going into New Zealand? I know some countries have a ban on it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: BA, NZ Gold
I've never been questioned about bringing any prescription drug across the border here. Suggest you have a look at the Customs website . Slightly frustratingly there is a great leaflet that you get when you book tickets out of the country to remind you of what you can and cant bring back into the country and can't lay my hands on a copy at this moment.

They are likely to be more concerned with biosecurity aspects of your luggage then personal medication.

Edit:
Medsafe have the importation rules you are looking for

Last edited by knoydart; Sep 28, 2016 at 1:31 am Reason: update of information
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by knoydart
I've never been questioned about bringing any prescription drug across the border here. Suggest you have a look at the Customs website . Slightly frustratingly there is a great leaflet that you get when you book tickets out of the country to remind you of what you can and cant bring back into the country and can't lay my hands on a copy at this moment.
I reside in NZ so frequently have to deal with NZ Customs. Although I have no experience with Adderall they will definitely ask questions about any meds you have on you. If you explain you have a prescription they are likely to let you through without any referral.

Originally Posted by knoydart
They are likely to be more concerned with biosecurity aspects of your luggage then personal medication.
Absolutely!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:52 pm

They didn't ask me a thing about my meds and my bf had his adderall in his bag. Not a word. I had xanax and some other stuff and no issues.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I reside in NZ so frequently have to deal with NZ Customs. Although I have no experience with Adderall they will definitely ask questions about any meds you have on you.
I don't think 'definitely' is the right word here.

I only travel to NZ a couple times a year but have never once been asked about meds. Many people, possibly including yourself, may have more experience but I can confidently say they won't 'definitely' ask that question.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick

I only travel to NZ a couple times a year but have never once been asked about meds. Many people, possibly including yourself, may have more experience but I can confidently say they won't 'definitely' ask that question.
Are you declaring it every time you enter NZ?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I just went through NZ a couple of days ago. The entry declaration form is much more comprehensive than for other countries and has had several questions added recently, along with a warning that there is a fine for any wrong declaration with no recourse (something like NZD 400 on the spot fine). That would include failing to mention that you are carrying restricted medications (which are all the things mentioned on this thread). Enforcement is by profiling as well as random checks. In general any medication with a doctor's prescription is allowed entry, just be sure to have a valid and current prescription form with you (the label on the bottle is not it ).
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

If you tick yes to the question about medicine then you'll be asked what it is.

If you tick no and the medicine is detected by x-ray screening or manual inspection at customs, then you'll be asked about it.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Are you declaring it every time you enter NZ?
No, as I don't have any prescription meds. I do carry a variety of non-prescription medicine, which would be obvious from the scanner if they wanted to ask me about it.

If you meant that you'll be asked about what you declare, then I agree. Of course, that's pretty obvious. You said they will definitely ask you about any medicine that you might posses. If you don't declare it, my experience is they will not. That is why I se your statement as inaccurate.

I agree with the advice here that any traveler should declare what is meant to be declared. But if you don't, well they won't necessarily say anything.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No, as I don't have any prescription meds. I do carry a variety of non-prescription medicine, which would be obvious from the scanner if they wanted to ask me about it.

<snip>

I agree with the advice here that any traveler should declare what is meant to be declared. But if you don't, well they won't necessarily say anything.
Be careful with non-prescription medicines and international travel. Different countries have different rules about what medicine requires a prescription (or not).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm pretty sure I did not declare my prescription thyroid supplement, to say nothing of my non-prescription baby aspirin, multi-vitamins and fish oil at AKL in May 2015. (I'm pretty sure because I never do, so declaring them in this case would be enough of an exception to be memorable.) Nobody stopped me.

Just one data point, of course.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
I'm pretty sure I did not declare my prescription thyroid supplement, to say nothing of my non-prescription baby aspirin, multi-vitamins and fish oil at AKL in May 2015. (I'm pretty sure because I never do, so declaring them in this case would be enough of an exception to be memorable.) Nobody stopped me.

Just one data point, of course.
Did you get referred for x-ray, etc.?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Did you get referred for x-ray, etc.?
Nope.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
LOL....

I had a biodog alert on my computer backpack at AKL. No food in it of course, when she searched, but the confused biodog handler suggested maybe I'd had food in or on the pack recently.

I had a few allergy pills there that she completely ignored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.