Search

BRISBANE what to see & do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Post BRISBANE what to see & do?

Hello,

I am going to Brisbane in March of next year.

I dont drive.

Please can anyone recommend any decent day / half day trips that should not be missed?

I am looking to book them before I go so I can pay now rather than using my spending money.

Thank you very much.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There aren't any day trips worth doing from Brisbane imho. The CBD area is not bad and the museum/art gallery/QPAC (theatre) precinct is quite nice and worth a couple of days visit. Just don't expect one of the great cities of the world For trips, overnight stay on the beach is worth doing, either Gold or Sunshine coasts depending upon your age.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
There aren't any day trips worth doing from Brisbane imho. ...
I'm not sure I agree totally. Moreton Island is a fine place to spend a day. Several firms offer day trips in FWD vehicles (once you get to the island on a ferry, that is). Is it in the "should not be missed" category? I wouldn't fly halfway around the world for it, but if you're in the area I recommend it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:06 pm

About an hour north of BNE, Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo was the highlight of my visit to Brisbane/ Gold Coast.
If you have kids, DreamWorld and the attached Waterpark about 45 minutes south are great too!
Springbrook Natural bridge is picturesque as well- but I don't know how you'd get there without a car.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ueensland.html
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:02 am

Not driving is fine as Brisbane itself is best explored from the river.

For Brisbane itself, get on the City Cat ferry and run the entire length of the service (Hamilton Northshore to University of Queensland), getting off at various stops to look around. Areas to explore include Portside Wharf, New Farm/Newstead, especially South Bank (including QPAC and GOMA), Eagle Street and University of Queensland. Also pop around to the Kangaroo Point cliffs - the view of the city from the top is great.

Another option is to ride a bicycle along the rivers edge - roughly the same route. A great way to see the place.

In terms of trips, you can:

- take a boat up the Brisbane River to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary;

- a day trip to the Moreton Bay Islands. Moreton Island itself is possibly the best;

- the Gold Coast Hinterland is often overlooked, but a beautiful spot for hikes and rainforest - places like Purling Brook and Springbrook falls;

- The Gold Coast is less than 1hr to the south by car. You can get there by rail. The entire "strip" is then serviced by Light Rail from Southport to Broadbeach. Honestly, the best of the GC is from Broadbeach itself down to any point south of that as far as Currumbin. Stick to the beaches on the whole and it's lovely;

- Gold Coast region also has a number of theme parks. Dreamworld, Sea World, Movie World, Wet'n'Wild, Whitewater World... Mostly pretty good. Also a nightly performance called the Australian Outback Spectacular. Check that out;

- The Sunshine Coast is to the north of Brisbane and is a more quiet and sedate option compared with the Gold Coast. I am not a huge fan but it's popular with some as the beaches are nice and the community is laid back. Australia Zoo (the late Steve Irwin's outfit) is up there too.

That should get you started.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Marty, thank you very much for that helpful info.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:55 am

Some free things to do in Brisbane:
- Free City Hopper Ferry
- QAGOMA large modern art gallery
- City Circle buses around CBD area
- State Library
- City Hall Museum of Brisbane
- Southbank Parklands
- Roma Street Parklands
Old Dec 6, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pillerbox
- City Circle buses around CBD area
I know there isn't much going on in Brisbane, but sitting on a free bus doing loops of the CBD makes the top 7 things to do list?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bensyd
I know there isn't much going on in Brisbane, but sitting on a free bus doing loops of the CBD makes the top 7 things to do list?
Lol

I'm an Aussie and I have no idea what to do in Brisbane. Sorry.
bensyd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.