Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
New Zealand Holiday

I booked myself a trip to New Zealand from 4/11-4/22 with first week in south island and 2nd week in north island and was very surprised when I was making preliminary reservations today to discover that the CP Queenstown & CP Auckland were sold out for some of the dates I wanted to stay.

Did I unknowingly pick a major holiday period for New Zealand? Also, should I be making reservations for tours now? I noticed 4/15 for Milford Sound at the company I wanted to use is already sold out.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Friday 14 April to Easter Monday 17 April will always be busy in Queenstown and touristy/holiday locations. Schools & universities will be on holidays.
Look here http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/information/Events/
Every 2 years is Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow, near Queenstown. However the next is 2018.

Note the date format in this part of the world is day-month-year
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hotel capacity is tight in much of NZ, any event takes it to 100% capacity right quick. Circular problem as lots of people book a year in advance in anticipation and then have last minute cancelations (with 1 day fee so a nice windfall for the hotels). Closer to the date there will be some availability, but at a high price.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Mwenenzie is right for events. And yes, you should book your must do tours now. NZ has exploded in popularity and if there is a major event (or two) going on when you are there, you should prebook. It drops off to a more manageable level after that, but Easter is a hard time and school holidays are very busy.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Is it worthwhile to take a cruise of both Milford and Doubtful Sounds? Based on my schedule, it will have to be overnight for both at around US$400 pp.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Personally I would say yes, but they are similar experiences though Doubtful sound is more remote and both are world-class exclusive experiences (so cheap at US400pp per day ). Also having 2 days improves the odds of not being fogged in (a common problem esp in Milford sound ... though it is eerily beautiful even if you cant see far in the mist).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.