Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I sent you a PM. Keep in mind the country is roughly the size of the US, so don't try to do it all at once. Sydney is great for 3-4 nights as you can do some fun daytrips. I went to the Blue Mountains today on one. The ferry to Manly is great, also walking in the Botantical Gardens to get the view of both the bridge and opera house.

Tasmania is lovely and most people wish they had stayed longer, not shorter.

Think through what is the most important, than do those. You could easily just stay on the easterly coast for your whole trip and not run out of things to do.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There are many threads on travel in Australia
Yes, this is why I'm overwhelmed.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I got back about six weeks ago from this three-day trip to the Red Centre:

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/aus...original-95519

It included Uluru (full base walk), Kings Canyon (rim walk) and Kata Tjuta. I had seen a bit of that in May 2014 (thanks, FT OzFest!) but wanted to do more. It would fit your hiking/outdoor objective, and it's hard to see much of that area without someone to drive you around as the places are far apart. I think something like this would be worth five or so days of your time.

Adventure Tours isn't the only outfit that offers similar tours. They're about midrange. Wayoutback is more toward bare-bones; AAT Kings is more luxurious, and there are others. Shop around to find one that hits your sweet spot. (I have no financial or other interest in any of them.) You can add a day to see Alice Springs, but I had already done that and was on a tight schedule.

Other than that, it's hard to go wrong. If you go to the Barrier Reef, don't miss the rain forest; and while you're in Sydney, climb the bridge.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
I got back about six weeks ago from this three-day trip to the Red Centre:

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/aus...original-95519

It included Uluru (full base walk), Kings Canyon (rim walk) and Kata Tjuta. I had seen a bit of that in May 2014 (thanks, FT OzFest!) but wanted to do more. It would fit your hiking/outdoor objective, and it's hard to see much of that area without someone to drive you around as the places are far apart. I think something like this would be worth five or so days of your time.

Adventure Tours isn't the only outfit that offers similar tours. They're about midrange. Wayoutback is more toward bare-bones; AAT Kings is more luxurious, and there are others. Shop around to find one that hits your sweet spot. (I have no financial or other interest in any of them.) You can add a day to see Alice Springs, but I had already done that and was on a tight schedule.

Other than that, it's hard to go wrong. If you go to the Barrier Reef, don't miss the rain forest; and while you're in Sydney, climb the bridge.
Thanks so much- I had your earlier post bookmarked-- also thanks for the other links.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:33 am

Ok, things are starting to come together--

Sydney 5 Nov- 9 Nov-- depart for Carins/reef/rainforest: 9 Nov- 14/15-
head to Melbourne 15 Nov- 17 Nov- maybe head to Adelaide?
depart Melbourne/Adelaide for Perth 20 Nov; pick up car- head south to visit with friends
21-23 Nov explore Margaret River area with friend; return to Perth 24 Nov; depart PER for home on 25 Nov
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I just did 3 nights in MEL and it wasn't nearly enough. I would tell you to slow it down and just do more time in MEL and not do a 2/2 split with ADL.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Thanks Travel K--that's exactly what my friend in/near Perth suggested--and looking around there seem to be a lot of day trips and/or short 2/3 day excursions around that area.

One thing I'm wondering--how much of this do I need to plan in advance? I would assume that it's best to get flights booked in advance of arriving in country--I've traveled to many countries (primarily in Central and South America where it's common to book excusions at the last minute...) and I'm also notoriously indecisive.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The best parts of Melbourne are actually within 3 km of the CBD, the day trips and excursions are not the highlight of Melb for me. Note the Great Ocean Road was closed recently due to mud slides in heavy rains, not sure if there is any longer term impact. Yarra valley wine tasting is great for wine tasting, kind of like Napa was in the glory days of the 70s before it became soooo commercialized and overrun with tourists
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Travel K
I just did 3 nights in MEL and it wasn't nearly enough. I would tell you to slow it down and just do more time in MEL and not do a 2/2 split with ADL.
Agree.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Qantas, Emirates, American Airlines
Originally Posted by scubaerin
Ok, things are starting to come together--

Sydney 5 Nov- 9 Nov-- depart for Carins/reef/rainforest: 9 Nov- 14/15-
head to Melbourne 15 Nov- 17 Nov- maybe head to Adelaide?
depart Melbourne/Adelaide for Perth 20 Nov; pick up car- head south to visit with friends
21-23 Nov explore Margaret River area with friend; return to Perth 24 Nov; depart PER for home on 25 Nov
seems a strange thing to do Sydney first then Cairns then back to Melbourne. I think fly to Syd and straight to Cairns first, then Brisbane back to Syd, Melb, Perth makes more sense. you will have less down time in airports and travelling as the last legs are shorter and easier.
5 days in Cairns in November would kill me! The reef is amazing and you need to do this and then spend more of your time here or at the rainforest, Cairns is a very slow old town and apart from being on the boring side it is incredibly hot and humid.
Sydney rocks district, Ferry from Darling Harbour, Bondi or any beaches, Hunter Valley all good locations. You could spend a week in Sydney easy.
Melbourne again you could spend heaps of time. I would suggest more time in these places.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:58 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! Things are starting to come together-- I will arrive in SYD (7am) then go straight to Cairns (depart 1130 ish) and recover from jet lag in and around Cairns. From Cairns I'll go back to Sydney for several days, and then still have 6 or 7 days before I leave Melbourne for Perth.

I'm considering going to Tas (Hobart and around) or taking a slow way to Melbourne-- haven't finalized those plans yet. I know that I'll want and need to slow down before the Perth and WA leg of the trip.

Last edited by scubaerin; Oct 3, 2016 at 8:29 am
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
First time in Australia

I'm planning a 2 week trip to Australia. I'll probably spend 3-4 days in Sydney and will probably visit 2 other cities. Of Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne which ones have better public transport and things to do?

I'm planning to use American miles so I'll book whenever premium availability opens up. Is Qantas recommended or is AA better? Australian domestic connections in Qantas are about 20k miles in business and 10k in economy. Is it like AA domestic first class or is it better?

Last edited by tomcat007; Oct 7, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Australian cities are not what Australia is about. A city is a city is a city. To see a little of Australia get out of the cities. Go to FNQ (far north Queensland), Darwin or the red centre. There a lot of threads on trips to Au.

Perth, Western Australia is ~4hr flight from the east coast. Paying cash air fares can be expensive. Then you need to go somewhere from Perth to see something.

Brisbane is less than inspiring. But it has an airport from where you fly to interesting places.

There a lot of threads on trips to Au in this sub forum.
And some good TR's on Au, including but not limited to:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...australia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...own-under.html

For getting to Australia with AA freq flyer miles take the flights that have availability. You may/will not have a choice. Premium cabin availability is very very limited. Nor you say what time of year or how many weeks from now you want to go.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html (click open the wiki)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

AA only fly to/from LAX SYD while QF flys LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL to/from BNE SYD MEL (but not from all airports to all airports)

Au QF domestic business is about AA domestic first class or a little better. Depends on the aircraft. Economy cash flights can be not that expensive if booked some weeks out. But price does vary a lot. 20K AA miles for the ~65min flight SYD-MEL would be a poor use of AA ff miles. Be aware carry on allowed for Au domestic/international is less than common practise in USA.

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically. Excludes some small operators
- Airnorth TL Regional airline in northern central Australia
- Alliance Airlines QQ Regional airline. Tailored aircraft charters for the resource industry.
- Jetstar JQ (a low cost carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Regional Express Airways (REX) ZL Regional airline
- Tiger Airways TT (a low cost carrier with low fares part owned by Virgin Australia)
- Qantas QF [OneWorld Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (Delta partner)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 7, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reason: added QF JFK HNL
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks for your detailed response!

Last edited by tomcat007; Oct 7, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I'm planning a 2 week trip to Australia. I'll probably spend 3-4 days in Sydney and will probably visit 2 other cities. Of Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne which ones have better public transport and things to do?

I'm planning to use American miles so I'll book whenever premium availability opens up. Is Qantas recommended or is AA better? Australian domestic connections in Qantas are about 20k miles in business and 10k in economy. Is it like AA domestic first class or is it better?
When are you visiting? If it's in summer then I'd avoid the northern half of Australia and maybe visit Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania. No one who visits Tassie is ever disappointed. I wouldn't bother with Brisbane or Perth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.