Wiki Posts
Search

nz north island where to spend new years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
nz north island where to spend new years

any advice about where on north island to spend new years with kids?

choices we have it down to are auckland,wellington and new plymouth(festival of lights) any advice appreciated.
thanks
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Depends on your plans and style of entertaining yourselves. AKL will have more large parties (if that's your scene, doubtful with kids), but Wellington is a more beautiful city if you're looking for a more relaxed affair. OTOH, New Year's breakfast at the Langham Hotel in Auckland would be hog heaven for child or grown-up me.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Accommodation might be the driving factor at this point. That is the single busiest time of the year for the country. How old are your kids? I agree though, it depends on what you want to do.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Thames in Coromandel, if you can find accomodation. Memorable.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Depends on your plans and style of entertaining yourselves. AKL will have more large parties (if that's your scene, doubtful with kids), but Wellington is a more beautiful city if you're looking for a more relaxed affair. OTOH, New Year's breakfast at the Langham Hotel in Auckland would be hog heaven for child or grown-up me.
Auckland empties out this time of the year as its the main summer holiday period. Pretty much every office in town shuts up shop for around 2 weeks, from Christmas Eye through to Early January.

Approximately 2/3rd of the population leaves town for these 2 weeks, mostly hitting the East Coast beach towns.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

we were actually thinkingof going to the coromandel-will it be incredibly busy?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
we were actually thinking of going to the coromandel- will it be incredibly busy?
Incredibly busy will be a vast understatement. Some beachs are infamous as a big party. (Police are busy: they set up temporary holding cells just for the night) And you are unlikely to find accommodation unless you pay a small fortune. People book the same accommodation a year in advance.

And the traffic back to Auckland on 01 Jan will be sloooow
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:06 am
Original Poster

i have looked at the prices and it does it look crazy-also if theres a ot of people we would prefer to avoid..where else would be good near auckland ??would whangarei or somewhere near there be good??

and one more question - would new years eve in welly be good for kids?firework displays etc..
thanks
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Like Auckland, Wellington also empties out over New Year but there will still be fireworks and other events.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I spent NYE this past year in Auckland. As others have mentioned, it is a popular time for folks to be out of town (getting restaurant reservations was challenging). However, there was still a decent crowd at the bottom of SkyCity (where we were staying) for the concert/party/countdown. We ended up going to SkyCity's all you can eat/drink (only for 3 hours on the drinking, though) affair - pretty toned-down, but still think kids (particularly younger ones) would be a bit out of place.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:24 am
Original Poster

thanks
maybe before new year will try whangerei or new plymouth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.