Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand Itinerary Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

New Zealand Itinerary Suggestions

Looking forward to my first trip to New Zealand the main highlight will be the Milford Track, but have some holes in my itinerary and looking for some suggestions any help is greatly appreciated...

I have read through a decent amount of the info on here and came to the conclusion that many don't suggest spending a lot of time in Auckland...Although I also hear driving takes a bit longer, so I wanted to reach out and see what people would suggest for the start of my trip. I am open to renting a car to get to where I need to be as well. The challenge I see is getting back to Auckland to get my flight to Queenstown. Below is my Itinerary which I am going in November:

Day 1 - Land in Auckland, explore city/rest after flight from the USA

Day 2 - Waiheke Island? Might move this to before my Queenstown flight.

Day 3 - I am into photography/hiking and found this tour that might be interesting, not booked or anything so open to moving this around as well. http://tours.thelaughingchestnut.co.nz/

Day 4 - ??

Day 5 - ??

Day 6 - Early Flight(11am) from Auckland to Queenstown (Stopover on my original flight itinerary, might be the wrong wording) - Mainly a transit day

Day 7 - Explore Queenstown before Milford Track

Day 8-12 - Milford Track (Already Booked)

Day 13 - Open to Suggestions (Might need recovery in the end though)

Day 14 - Flight from Queenstown to Auckland to US

Again any suggestions would be appreciated, like I said hiking/photography are my passions, but I am open to anything that people think is a must as well!

Last edited by joshs2004; May 15, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What airline & departure date/time of the Queenstown to Auckland flght?
How long a stopover before the USA flight?
Queenstown to Auckland flghts are not 100% reliable
Old May 16, 2016, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What airline & departure date/time of the Queenstown to Auckland flght?
How long a stopover before the USA flight?
Queenstown to Auckland flghts are not 100% reliable
Air New Zealand for the Queenstown to Auckland
~3 Hour 50 minutes Lay Over
Auckland to SFO United

Both flights are on the same itinerary/reservation, so I guess worse off I get an extra day in New Zealand?
Old May 17, 2016, 9:16 am

When are you doing the Milford track? We're scheduled to start Monday Nov 21.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
When are you doing the Milford track? We're scheduled to start Monday Nov 21.
Saturday November 19th is the trail departure date..
Old May 18, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
on a morning INTL arrival to AKL, we then picked up our campervan and traveled by ferry to Waiheke Is. we arrived in plenty of time to visit 2 or 3 wineries that afternoon, then have a leisurely dinner before finding a campsite and getting set up for the night.

with two days free on the North Island before ZQN, I see two options from AKL. drive north, or drive south. driving into the Northland is focused more on beaches and the tropical environments. there are some lovely beach parks up there, good snorkeling options, ocean sailing, and nice saltwater fishing. driving south, there are opportunities for nice hiking (tramping!) around the Lake Taupo basin with the mountain range. in this area there are also some geothermal parks, whitewater rafting, horseback riding and mtn biking, and excellent freshwater fishing opportunities.

to drive from Taupo to AKL is approximately 3 hours, give or take. driving to the far Northland is about 3-4 hours, I would estimate. with only two days free, I would not recommend venturing as far south as Napier/Hastings, as this is at least a 6 hour drive back to AKL.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:33 am

A below 2 hour drive South from Auckland is the WaitomioCaves, then Matamata for a Hobbiton visit, stay overnight in Matamata.

Originally Posted by joshs2004
Looking forward to my first trip to New Zealand the main highlight will be the Milford Track, but have some holes in my itinerary and looking for some suggestions any help is greatly appreciated...

I have read through a decent amount of the info on here and came to the conclusion that many don't suggest spending a lot of time in Auckland...Although I also hear driving takes a bit longer, so I wanted to reach out and see what people would suggest for the start of my trip. I am open to renting a car to get to where I need to be as well. The challenge I see is getting back to Auckland to get my flight to Queenstown. Below is my Itinerary which I am going in November:

Day 1 - Land in Auckland, explore city/rest after flight from the USA

Day 2 - Waiheke Island? Might move this to before my Queenstown flight.

Day 3 - I am into photography/hiking and found this tour that might be interesting, not booked or anything so open to moving this around as well. http://tours.thelaughingchestnut.co.nz/

Day 4 - ??

Day 5 - ??

Day 6 - Early Flight(11am) from Auckland to Queenstown (Stopover on my original flight itinerary, might be the wrong wording) - Mainly a transit day

Day 7 - Explore Queenstown before Milford Track

Day 8-12 - Milford Track (Already Booked)

Day 13 - Open to Suggestions (Might need recovery in the end though)

Day 14 - Flight from Queenstown to Auckland to US

Again any suggestions would be appreciated, like I said hiking/photography are my passions, but I am open to anything that people think is a must as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.