Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the avg price in J to AKL?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

What's the avg price in J to AKL?

I am looking at one-way fares to AKL and they are all around 400 GBP - with Qantas, Air New Zealand, and LAN. Is this what I should expect, or can I beat this if I wait for a sale?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 3:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Don't forget that EK and CI also fly Trans Tasman. There have been reports of very competitive fares. Is price more important than schedule? I don't recall many sales for Business fares - more likely to get discounts in whY. And, a return may well be the cheapest way to buy a ticket.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
£400 is close to a sale fare. A year or two ago, £700 one way would have been about normal.

There have recently been a few First class sales on EK and QF*EK where the fare can be around £450 one-way.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Am also considering Air NZ in premium economy (business seems excessive for 3 hours), and the spaceseat does look really cool, but am reading some less than stellar reviews about space. We are both tall - 187 and 192cm. But maybe these reviews are pre row removal!
Old May 12, 2016, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would be going straight to the CI website. If the flight operates on day you want to travel, business class is offered at AUD445 ( GBP225 ) one way to Auckland NZD433 ( GBP204 )
Old May 12, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above, CI has had good business & economy fares.
Or pay extra for an exit row. Au$30 - Au$45.

Many trans Tasman aircraft are B737/A320. Some aircraft are economy only: no business class. On B737/A320 business class seats are basic. A minority of aircraft are wide body with long haul style business class seats.

Airlines that fly Australia (CNS* MCY* BNE OOL SYD CBR MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC DUD ZQN) (not from all airports to all airports)
- Air New Zealand NZ (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance] {* winter seasonal}
- Virgin Australia VA (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)
- Jetstar JQ (owned by QF)
- Qantas QF (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Emirates EK (codeshares with QF)
- LAN LA (SYD AKL) [OneWorld Alliance]
- China Airlines CI (BNE SYD MEL* – AKL CHC*) [Skyteam Alliance] {* summer seasonal}
- Singapore SQ (CBR WLG) [Star Alliance] from Sept 2016
- Air Asia D7 (OOL - AKL) from March 2016
- Philippines PR (CNS - AKL)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 12, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Old May 12, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
I am looking at one-way fares to AKL and they are all around 400 GBP - with Qantas, Air New Zealand, and LAN. Is this what I should expect, or can I beat this if I wait for a sale?

Thanks!

I paid about GBP200 to fly business class one way SYD-AKL on LAN a couple of weeks ago, purchasing off their website.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Ohh - China Airlines does indeed do this route on a Saturday. They say they sell tickets 335 days in advance but they aren't selling for my date yet (which is within that range). It is in mid-April -- maybe they are no longer flying the route then if it is seasonal? Earlier dates are coming out at £220 though so indeed much cheaper! Very tempted, just a shame that the flight leaves quite late - I'd have far preferred a morning one, but maybe I can't be too fussy!
Old May 13, 2016, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China Airlines does indeed do this route on a Saturday. They say they sell tickets 335 days in advance but they aren't selling for my date yet (which is within that range). It is in mid-April -- maybe they are no longer flying the route then if it is seasonal? !
If you are looking about Easter fares may/will be higher.
Easter is the busiest time for air travel in this part of the world. And school and university holiday/vacations.
Dates are Easter Friday 14 April 2017 and Easter Monday 17 April 2017

With CI also need to consider Chinese holidays. CI have large group travel on some dates.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Does CI fly around Easter to SYD/AKL, or is that off-season for them if it is just over the summer in the southern hemisphere?
Old May 13, 2016, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does CI fly around Easter to SYD/AKL, or is that off-season for them if it is just over the summer in the southern hemisphere?
For SYD-AKL I do not know
For MEL-CHC-MEL they stopped Sunday 27 March 2016. But have read on FT will start MEL-CHC-MEL again October
For the MEL-CHC-MEL CI flights I did the loads were low and the prices cheap.

Have a look again in a few months time.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Maybe that's why it's not coming up - other routes are on sale in April but the last one I can see for the route to SYD/AKL is 25 March.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If travel is for April 2017, why not wait for sales? They are semi-permanent.

Note fares are cheaper ex-NZ than ex-Australia.
Old May 13, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For SYD-AKL I do not know
For MEL-CHC-MEL they stopped Sunday 27 March 2016. But have read on FT will start MEL-CHC-MEL again October
For the MEL-CHC-MEL CI flights I did the loads were low and the prices cheap.
Probably way too far for CI, they often this flight around an additional capacity etc.

If you want to book something now, your best option would probably be PE on NZ which hard product is better than QF/VA Tasman 737 J Product.

SYD-AKL is an pretty short flight, often can be less than 2hr40m with the right winds and somedays just over 2hrs.
Old May 14, 2016, 2:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this is not QF specific I will move this to the destination forum. [/mod hat].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.