Help with Honeymoon- Bora Boar vs Fiji/Tonga vs Bali vs Australia

Old May 4, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Travel K
I sent you a PM, but for the sake of others in the future, it depends so much on your budget for both locations. A lot of what you describe for Fiji fits Royal Davui, but if someone has the money, Laucala is the best. NZ, it depends on interests and budget, but I love Nelson, Christchurch (yes, really), Queenstown, the luxury lodges, and many areas on the North Island.

I was reading a newspaper travel section and saw a special at Royal Davui. I didn't check it out but it looked cheaper than what I recall of the price. spacificatravel.com.au
Old May 4, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Hey all. Thanks for your response. We are really hesitant about Bali because it seems there isn't much of ocean swimming or lagoon swimming. I prefer warm water of a lagoon or a sea to a pool. Bali doesn't seem to offer that, am I wrong?

Further, all the pics from Fiji also don't show much beaches and swimming in the ocean. Is that not a thing in those areas?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was reading a newspaper travel section and saw a special at Royal Davui. I didn't check it out but it looked cheaper than what I recall of the price. spacificatravel.com.au
They do run specials and they can be accessed through a Travel Advisor or direct. I know the owner and he has told me that himself. They often have stay 7 for 5, depending on the time of year.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut

Further, all the pics from Fiji also don't show much beaches and swimming in the ocean. Is that not a thing in those areas?
Couldn't be further from the truth if you don't stay on Denarau Island.

On Denarau on the other hand the beach isn't good and hence more pool swimming.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Where would you go to in Fiji? Which Islands? Would there be two places we can divide our 12 days in? Perhaps 7 days in a luxury place on a beach and 5 days somewhere in the city with culture and things to do?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Not sure it is a vibrant city with cultural things to do....Nadi, Suva, etc....Personally Id do a rainforest/mountain thing- maybe rent a car so you can head out and explore around.

Have you looked at VRBO? Huge range of prices, but you might find a a very nice deal for the non-beach portion of your plans- give it a look.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:04 pm

Honeymoon

While $10-12k sure is a lot of money it is not in some of the areas you are considering. We have been to the South Pacific 4 times and it is spectacular. French Polynesia is very pricey and unfortunately you will be hard pressed to keep to your budget. If you did go there you should spread your time between Bora Bora, Moorea and perhaps another island. One other option for the region is a Paul Gauguin cruise out of Tahiti. All inclusive except for excursions. This would take your entire budget for a 7-10 day trip as their cruise includes air from LAX. This cruise is easily paired with a few days on Moorea (an easy 45 minute ferry ride from Tahiti and only costs $30). From Tahiti to get to any island other than Moorea requires a flight that is about $450 per person roundtrip, hence the high cost of getting anywhere in that area.

We have been to Fiji and there are many options in your price range. We stayed for 8 nights on Matangi Island which is pricey but magical. You can combine that with some nights in the Yawawa Island area. There is only one hotel in Fiji with overwater bungalows and at low tide they are reportedly over mud bungalows. Nothing can compare to French Polynesia (we have stayed at OWB on Moorea and Rangiroa).

You can also consider the Cook Islands. Rarotonga and Aitutaki are very nice with Aitutaki coming close to rivaling the lagoon at Bora Bora.

I think you will find that Seychelles and the Maldives are the same price, if not more, than Tahiti (also not sure what the weather is like there in July).
Old May 5, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Where would you go to in Fiji? Which Islands? Would there be two places we can divide our 12 days in? Perhaps 7 days in a luxury place on a beach and 5 days somewhere in the city with culture and things to do?

Thanks!
A lot of the culture of Fiji is actually found in or near resorts as they are staffed by locals from villages on the island or nearby. This applies to Coral Coast resorts and any of the island groups like Mamanucas.

If you mean culture in the way you seem to describe it, which appears slightly misconceived and Western-centric, go to NZ or Australia.

Whatever you do, the best resorts in your price range are likely booked out or close, I'd make a decision quickly and book it. Loads of Australians and New Zealanders go to the South Pacific in July/August.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
.... We are really hesitant about Bali because it seems there isn't much of ocean swimming or lagoon swimming. ...
Bali has miles of beaches, most unpopulated and some challenging for swimming, while others such as at the major tourist resorts in Nusa Dua having knee deep warm water extending 100 metres offshore (hence why the Sheraton Laguna has acres of man-made lagoons as part of the resort). So there is a wide range of swimming from crowded to pristine available.

What Bora-Bora offers is that picture-perfect lagoon though increasingly crowded now with development and very expensive, not just for accom but food and transportation, really out of your budget imho (pointless to do it on a shoestring and still spend $12k). Much better value for money in Fiji or Bali, but you have to pick the level of privacy, activity and isolation that you want along with travel time. Lots of tradeoffs.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Ended up booking the following:

ORD-LAX-NAN-LikuLiku Lagoon on Mamanucca, all inclusive for 7 days w/ a free helicopter transfer, than 4 days at Hilton Fiji on Nani--LAX-ORD for 10k.

Any suggestions for excursions for the last 4 days when we will be on Nani?
Old May 8, 2016, 1:15 am
Original Member

Garden of the Sleeping Giant .... not far from airport, and originally owned by Raymond Burr (actor of Perry Mason fame), maybe the best orchid garden in the world. Otherwise Fiji is thin on attractions as organized events, more of a drive around and explore kind of place. Good choice for LikuLiku and good price, just the helicopter ride is $1k+ otherwise but your baggage is weight limited.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Garden of the Sleeping Giant .... not far from airport, and originally owned by Raymond Burr (actor of Perry Mason fame), maybe the best orchid garden in the world. Otherwise Fiji is thin on attractions as organized events, more of a drive around and explore kind of place. Good choice for LikuLiku and good price, just the helicopter ride is $1k+ otherwise but your baggage is weight limited.

Since the helicopter is free, we were thinking taking the free boat to the island to see the beauty of Fiji and helicoptering back.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Since the helicopter is free, we were thinking taking the free boat to the island to see the beauty of Fiji and helicoptering back.
Greater chance of irrop in that direction, depends on your tolerance for being delayed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.