Wiki Posts
Search

ETSA Confusion - Canadian flying QF between SFO-AKL via SYD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC
ETSA Confusion - Canadian flying QF between SFO-AKL via SYD

I booked a roundtrip flight from SFO to AKL with a connection in SYD (both ways). I'm a Canadian resident and CDN passport holder. I don't think I require any visitor or transit visa for Australia since I'm only changing planes and both of my connections are 3 hrs long. Am I correct on that? When I log into Qantas website and pull up my booking, it says I need to provide additional info before traveling. It's asking for Electronic Visa Authorization (ETSA) and APIS. I click on the ETSA link provided and it takes me to US Customs and Border Protection. I'm confused on why I need to apply for ETSA as Canadians don't require any visa when travelling for leisure in the US. Do I really need to apply for ETSA ?

Last edited by chatmax; Apr 22, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chatmax
When I log into Qantas website and pull up my booking, it says I need to provide additional info before traveling. It's asking for Electronic Visa Authorization (ETSA) and APIS. I click on the ETSA link provided and it takes me to US Customs and Border Protection. I'm confused on why I need to apply for ETSA as Canadians don't require any visa when travelling for leisure in the US. Do I really need to apply for ETSA ?
It's just an automated prompt from Qantas because you're booked on a flight to the USA. If it doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.

You will need to complete the APIS information.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by chatmax
I booked a roundtrip flight from SFO to AKL with a connection in SYD (both ways). I'm a Canadian resident and CDN passport holder. I don't think I require any visitor or transit visa for Australia since I'm only changing planes and both of my connections are 3 hrs long. Am I correct on that? When I log into Qantas website and pull up my booking, it says I need to provide additional info before traveling. It's asking for Electronic Visa Authorization (ETSA) and APIS. I click on the ETSA link provided and it takes me to US Customs and Border Protection. I'm confused on why I need to apply for ETSA as Canadians don't require any visa when travelling for leisure in the US. Do I really need to apply for ETSA ?
Try entering your APIS info first- which will tell QF you are under a Canadian passport. It may be smart enough to then drop the ETSA stuff.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Similar question: I am transiting MEL (flying LAX-MEL and MEL-ZQN on the same ticket) with about a 3 hour layover on a USA passport ticket issued by UA. Do I need to complete any ETSA in advance of my travel for this transit?
Old May 3, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Similar question: I am transiting MEL (flying LAX-MEL and MEL-ZQN on the same ticket) with about a 3 hour layover on a USA passport ticket issued by UA. Do I need to complete any ETSA in advance of my travel for this transit?
Nope. You won't even be leaving the terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.