Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Economy Route West Coast USA - MEL?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Best Economy Route West Coast USA - MEL?

Hi all,

I am tentatively traveling to Melbourne this summer, and after spending a few weeks now looking at various flight options, I have decided it would be best to ask you all for help! The routes that I'm considering right now are;
- Qantas LAX-SYD-MEL (A380 or 747)
- Virgin Australia LAX-SYD-MEL (773)
- United LAX-MEL (789)
- Air New Zealand LAX-AKL-MEL (773)
- Cathay Pacific YVR-HKG-MEL (773)

At this point I'm considering Virgin Australia and Cathay as my top 2 choices due to their cabin layouts (3x3x3) and their online reviews. Can anybody give me some insight as to which route would be the best in terms of comfort and service? I've never flown any of these airlines long-haul and am hoping to make the best of it!

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Without considering cost, I would go for LAX-MEL direct. UA Economy Plus or QF.
Going via HKG would be more than 50% longer.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The 789 is a very cramped cabin. OP is asking about comfort and service, United is probably the worst option. Of course, it is direct, and presumably could be a one-stop from IAD.

The NZ 777 has a cramped layout as well, I would avoid it. QF is slightly better, but not much.

I would go with VA in this case, a very good hard product and if you can get Virgin America IAD-LAX a pretty decent transcon as well. Cathay is a step up in service and about the same comfort, but it seems awfully out-of-the-way route-wise. Unless you can stop in HKG for a night or two!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For information

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
- United UA (LAX SFO – SYD MEL) [Star Alliance]
- American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– SYD BNE MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
- Jetstar JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (LAX – SYD BNE) (DL partner)
- Hawaiian HA (HNL – SYD BNE via Hawaii) (AA & VA partner)
- Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
- Fiji Airways FJ (LAX via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
- Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD, BNE from Jun 2016) [Star Alliance]
And others via Asia & Middle East

Domestic flights on east coast of Australia are fequent and can be cheap (BNE SYD MEL ADL)
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:00 am

First choice would be Qantas direct to Melbourne.

Second choice would be Air NZ via AKL if it was drastically cheaper than Qantas.

Going via Sydney or Auckland will add a few extra hours (as well as the hassle of transiting) and god knows why you'd want to turn a 24 hour trip into a 35+ hours by going via Vancouver and Hong Kong. You're already having to transit via LA and trust me the last thing you want to do after a 6 hour flight + 13-15 hour flight is get back on yet another plane for another hour or few.

Air NZ is pretty good though, and I would definitely chose an intl transit at AKL over a intl to domestic transit at Sydney if that's what it came down to.

Almost a shame that United isn't using the 777's anymore, I flew with them on the 777 last year trans-pacific and got the first pair of seats in economy. Had a tonne of room and didn't even notice the rest of the economy cabin. Probably one of the best trans-pac flights I've had.

Last edited by kcupp95; Apr 19, 2016 at 6:16 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In economy consider Air New Zealand's LAX-RAR-AKL flight (on 767 which is nowhere as cramped as their other longhaul aircraft) connecting to AKL-MEL. Limited days of the week though.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just searched MEL to LAX in economy for a friend last night. QF, Virgin, Delta and United seem to have the same seat pitch. Seat width was 17.5 to 18. I've done all long haul except Cathay. Just got a quote between Cathy and SQ and Cathy was $2000 dearer. Not sure if you have your quote yet and if they were comparable in price.

I found them all very similar in service. If it was me my choice would be made on flying time. It's a long trip from LAX to MEL without extra stop overs you don't really need.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just searched MEL to LAX in economy for a friend last night. QF, Virgin, Delta and United seem to have the same seat pitch. Seat width was 17.5 to 18.
Seat widths are not comparable. United 789 is 17.3", one of the narrowest seats in the sky. Virgin Australia is 18.5". That's a big difference in basic economy cabins.

I have not flown the 789 but having endured 15 torturous hours in the Etihad 10-wide 777 that is slightly wider (17.5"), I would gladly transit in SYD anyday if it meant a wider seat overwater. Of course others may prefer the shorter overall travel time, but don't provide inaccurate information about seat widths. 17.3" is really tight.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
There is no way I would endure a connection on west coast to MEL. I would suggest the Virgin Australia flight as the higher preference due to seating comfort and the flight crews are wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.