Australia Road Trip

Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Australia Road Trip

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on a road trip in November but I can only do one direction.

Either:
Adelaide -> Melbourne -> Sydney
or
Brisbane -> Sydney -> Melbourne

I like scenic drives and wildlife so appreciate your tips!

PS if you know any tips to reduce the breathtaking one-way drop fees that'll be great!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Im not sure about your specific cities, but I had a rental AYQ to ASP - all companies offered only a set number of kms (like 100 as I recall), and also had drop fees.

If you booked it through Voyages Travel (which is an 'Indigineous Peoples Owned' entity) they give unlimited KMs, and- depending on which agency- no drop fee. For the city pairs I did, one could rent avis, thrifty and hertz... it was a no-brainer- using Voyages was a slight PITA (they arent as easy as an online hertz booking) but when they get their comission it seems like they have leveraged a better deal from all the majors.

Again, having said this I dont know if they do this for the major cities you are looking at or if my observation is only for the NT or other unique areas. Thought it might help someone....
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Well the drive from Adelaide to Melbourne includes the iconic Great Ocean Road... hard to go wrong there. I'd pick that one.

If you had total flexibility I would do Adelaide-Melbourne, then fly to Brisbane and go Brisbane-Sydney! Those are the two highlights in my opinion. But you will find plenty to do enjoy between Sydney and Melbourne.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending how much time you're taking, since November is spring to early summer, it might make sense to drive from north to south.

I hope you're aware of the distances and are comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road. Driving in Melbourne itself is especially tricky due to the trolleys and jug handle turns.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Just back from an Adelaide to Perth trip as part of my desire to complete a lap of Australia (not helpful to you, I know!) But I did Sydney – Melbourne – Adelaide in October 2015, specifically to go to Phillip Island for the motogp race. The drive south from Sydney isn’t the most scenic with not a great deal of wildlife. Phillip Island does have the penguin parade which I’ve enjoyed both times I’ve been there.

Melbourne to Adelaide has two options, either following the Great Ocean Road or heading inland and going via Halls Gap to see the Grampians. I’m fortunate enough to have done both but if you time it well with good weather, the Great Ocean Road would win with some amazing scenery. Depending on how long you have, you can also go to Kangaroo Island, which has some stunning beaches interesting drives on some unsealed roads (check your rental agreement first, obviously!) and good for wildlife spotting- the only place of seen an echidna in the wild and I’ve been trying for ages.

I also know what you mean about the drop fees, they are buttock clenchingly expensive!

Whatever trip you do it will be amazing, it’s Australia, it’s impossible to not enjoy it.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by sjc2679

the only place of seen an echidna in the wild .
Same here- down by FLinders Chase during 4 days on KI. And two koalas too. we were super excited....

We wont go to a 'wildlife park' where animals are caged- our philosophy is 'what we see wild is what we get'

(on the subject of rentals, we rented a 4x4 for the express purpose of being able to drive on dirt roads. Seems to be the universal determinant on all rental companies in Oz.)
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Great thanks for all your feedback!

Tentatively, my route is Brisbane -> Sydney -> Mount Koizuiski -> Melbourne -> Great Ocean Road -> If time permits, Kangaroo Island/Adelaide or go back.

Wow the ferry to kangaroo island is outrageous! It's like $500 for a round trip with a car and 4 people for a 30minute journey.

Any tips for driving RHD?

Last edited by spark787; Apr 17, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by spark787

PS if you know any tips to reduce the breathtaking one-way drop fees that'll be great!
Not sure if this would suit but you can latch on to a good deal for a relocation.

http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations

there are other websites with the same thing.

Stick to the left side of the road.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Originally Posted by spark787

Just take a couple of seconds to remember when driving out of somewhere like a motel driveway or service station. Only turn left on red if there is a sign saying you can - usual sign text is something like "Left Turn on Red permitted after stopping".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.