Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Hertz - Changing numberof days at counter... will they reprice booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

First off, I know I am asking an unanswerable question...just looking for experiences and feedback.

I will often times book a car for more days than I need, for various reasons-

- Cheaper daily rate (from 1 to 4 days you will not get 'bumped' to a weekely rate)

- Availability. Hertz in the US (& Germany) will often times show no cars for a one day rental, but magically there are cars for 2 3 or 4 days. Same start day.

With my corp account, I usually will only pay the daily rate- It is very rare that the counter will 're-compute' the rate on me. IN THE US. In the EU, this has worked but much more likely that they go 'by the book, and I pay a higher rate (never higher than the rate I was trying to avoid, so I know the risk).

In other words when the terms of the rental say 'changing the days or return location may result in a higher rate', I always ask before taking the car. They either update the contract, hand write something on it, etc.

So the question- I can pick up a Prestige collection car in SYD downtown for 4 days at AUD61 a day. But I only need two days. Two days price at 120ish per day. (returning to airport, FWIW)

So, when I pick it up at the counter and tell the guy/gal "Turns out I only will have it for two days" what will they do?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Reprice (100% of the time), esp. for prestige collection cars (which are scarce in Oz). That's a very cheap rate already (even at AUD 120 a day), I've paid over 300 at times. But if they need the car at airport sooner then you may be in luck for a good deal.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Thx

(Its just an Audi A3, nothing crazy... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.