Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 minute connection in Gold Coast Aiport doable? 2 separate tiks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

45 minute connection in Gold Coast Aiport doable? 2 separate tiks

My (somewhat naive) friend booked two separate tickets, arriving in the a.m. on Air Asia and departing 45 minutes later on Air New Zealand for Auckland. He intends to do online check-in and print his boarding pass for the NZ flight and has hand baggage only.

Any ideas as to his chances of making it work? Or should he forget it and re-book (a more expensive) later departure?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I doubt that airside international transit is available at that airport -- looking at the map seems to confirm it http://goldcoastairport.com.au/pdf/terminal-map.pdf

So no chance as will need to clear immigration and customs and then clear security and emigration to get back to departures -- which closes 30 min before so there is only 15 min to do all that. On Air Asia would be doing well to get to the terminal within 15 min
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A few years ago when OOL had almost no international flights I did an international connection there. I had 90 minutes scheduled and despite being first in the queue at arrivals immigration it was tight.

Unless the airport terminal configuration has changed you'll need to clear immigration twice.

The stars would need align (e.g. arrive early, first at immigration, no questions from immigration, no queues at immigration or security, etc.) to make the connection. I'd rebook.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by number_6
I doubt that airside international transit is available at that airport -- looking at the map seems to confirm it http://goldcoastairport.com.au/pdf/terminal-map.pdf
When I was there last year, there was an Intentional Transit door. Where it will be open or not will be the question.

But you friend might be lucky, as from the 31 March that KUL-OOL service is extended onto AKL. So the Intentional transit will have to be running at that time.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
But you friend might be lucky, as from the 31 March that KUL-OOL service is extended onto AKL. So the Intentional transit will have to be running at that time.
I forgot about the Air Asia flight about to start. However I thought their schedule allowed for a really long transit time at OOL (as in 2+ hours)?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Based upon your feedback and further investigation, he decided not to risk it and re-booked. He's traveling next week, so the procedure for the Air Asia flight might not yet be in place. That flight allocates 1 hour 15 minutes for transit, and passengers must go through security re-screening but not immigration.

He discovered that he might also have faced an issue whereby his self-printed boarding pass might not have registered as having cleared local OOL security. I know this happens at other airports, such as in Beijing, where security scans and approves your boarding pass.

Anyway, he's learned his lesson (hopefully)!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by freeflyer
He discovered that he might also have faced an issue whereby his self-printed boarding pass might not have registered as having cleared local OOL security. I know this happens at other airports, such as in Beijing, where security scans and approves your boarding pass.
This doesn't happen in Australia, for departing Insertional Passengers you go into an holding pen just before your about to board after going though outbound customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.