Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in New Zealand - driving on the left, speeding & parking fines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I've just tried to do a pricing for Jan 31st to Mar 15 and there is no availability for anything other than a Toyota Highlander at $4k+!! I only wanted a little Corolla.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Insurance is not an "of course". Varies a lot around the world. Be very careful about insurance. Insurance for 60€/year does not buy much cover. Less if not in your home country.
have you checked carhireexcess.com? 60€ without Supplemental Liability Insurance, otherwise 99€. For a whole year, worldwide. But I understand what you mean. And surely a creditcard with a high limit is necessary.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 31570324
have you checked carhireexcess.com? 60€ without Supplemental Liability Insurance, otherwise 99€. For a whole year, worldwide. But I understand what you mean. And surely a creditcard with a high limit is necessary.
Ignoring the fact that the "excess" in the name is a giveaway that this isn't even close to full insurance, it's also limited in who can buy :

Who can purchase a car hire excess policy?
Any Resident of the republic of Ireland aged between 21 years and 85 years.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic:- rental car insurance/CDW/LDW

have you checked carhireexcess.com? 60€ without Supplemental Liability Insurance, otherwise 99€. For a whole year, worldwide. But I understand what you mean. And surely a credit card with a high limit is necessary.
Originally Posted by docbert
Ignoring the fact that the "excess" in the name is a giveaway that this isn't even close to full insurance, it's also limited in who can buy :
Who can purchase a car hire excess policy?
Any Resident of the republic of Ireland aged between 21 years and 85 years.
Agreed.

The jargon - meaning of words used in the insurance vary around the world. In your country a particular work or phrase may have a specific legal insurance meaning, but in another country may/will mean something completely different. The term "excess" in respect of insurance is unknown in some countries.

In this part of the world excess is the portion you pay when making a claim. Typically about $2000-$3000 in Aus/NZ for rental cars. That is you pay the first $2000-$3000 and the insurance company pays the balance of any damages. With the likes of Hertz/Avis you can can pay more per day to reduce that to a smaller value or nil. All your carhireexcess.com is offering is insurance on this small amount of excess(deductible)

If you do not have insurance you have nothing to claim the excess for.

The rental car CDW/LDW (is not insurance) from the major rental car companies is poor value, but often getting anything better, that 100% covers your risk, is difficult. The fine print needs to be understood.

Liability insurance for others is not the same at the physical car insurance. If for example you hit a BMW with your rental car that damage needs to be paid for by someone. [your credit card]

In NZ there is particular problem with drivers from LHD countries, often inexperienced, driving on the wrong side of the road and driving head on into approaching traffic. This Christmas - New Year some people from LHD countries will die and kill some locals doing this.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ*S
Saw several of the aerodrive cars in queenstown last week, all were clean and tidy looking except the one that had just had an ace branded rental car inserted firmly in its backside at an intersection in queenstown.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:43 am

I had a short email conversation with aerodrive. Tthey don't have any third party insurance included in their base rate:

We don’t offer a third party insurance. We only have the full cover which takes care of everything. It's either you buy the full cover or no cover at all.
Then they aren't so cheap anymore compared to others.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:21 am

Unlimited miles are included, but of course no insurance. But you can get this cheaper with a own rental car insurance, which cost maybe 60€/year.
Incorrect, all rentals car hires in NZ come with insurance, it is requirement under NZ law, they just have a very high excess (deductible). Typically around $3500 but sometimes as high as $8,000 for single vehicle accidents.

I had a short email conversation with aerodrive. Tthey don't have any third party insurance included in their base rate
According to their Terms & Conditions their basic rate includes insurance, up to $5 million for third party liability.

Standard excess on their FAQ page:

NZ$2500 for small, medium vehicles,
NZ$3500 for large SUV and people movers (8 seaters)
(Deductible regardless of fault)
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Saw several of the aerodrive cars in queenstown last week, all were clean and tidy looking except the one that had just had an ace branded rental car inserted firmly in its backside at an intersection in queenstown.
Situation normal for rental cars

My regular CHC taxi driver told me he saw Corolla written off by a bus 200m from the airport terminal. The Asian driver was driving around the first roundabout. The bus won the contest. At least he only had 200m to walk to rent another (demolition derby) car.

I had a short email conversation with aerodrive. Tthey don't have any third party insurance included in their base rate:

Then they aren't so cheap anymore compared to others.
As expected. The difference in the market is not much, especially with newish cars. Consider the 2nd tier rental car companies.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Situation normal for rental cars

My regular CHC taxi driver told me he saw Corolla written off by a bus 200m from the airport terminal. The Asian driver was driving around the first roundabout. The bus won the contest. At least he only had 200m to walk to rent another (demolition derby) car.
He was driving around the roundabout... I don't get it, what else should he have been doing?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:04 pm

Incorrect, all rentals car hires in NZ come with insurance, it is requirement under NZ law, they just have a very high excess (deductible). Typically around $3500 but sometimes as high as $8,000 for single vehicle accidents.
If that would be correct, a separate excess insurance would work. But why they told me there is no insurance included, if there is one? Or may the system is just different and I don't understand it.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
He was driving around the roundabout... I don't get it, what else should he have been doing?
Guess he was driving in the wrong direction in the roundabout
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ACC, paid in the rego, covers personal injury
The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides comprehensive, no-fault personal injury cover for all New Zealand residents and visitors to New Zealand.
http://www.acc.co.nz/

The motor vehicle itself is not covered. That's why we have car insurance like https://www.ami.co.nz/car-insurance
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:51 pm

ACC is a seperate matter.

Land Transport Rule: Operator Licensing 2007, section 9.4:

9.4 Insurance of a hired vehicle
9.4(1) Before entering into an agreement for hire of a rental service vehicle, a holder of a rental service licence must offer
vehicle insurance to the prospective hirer.
9.4(2) A prospective hirer does not have to accept the insurance cover offered by the holder of a rental service licence.
9.4(3) If a prospective hirer does not accept the insurance cover offered by the holder of a rental service licence, the
prospective hirer must provide alternative vehicle insurance cover that is comparable with the insurance cover offered
by the licence holder.
9.4(4) If a prospective hirer's own insurance cover is not comparable with the insurance cover provided by the holder of a
rental service licence, the licence holder has the right to refuse to hire the vehicle to the prospective hirer
the aerodrive T&Cs state the coverage is $5million for third party liability, and $150,000 for liability for the vehicle and recovery etc.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:28 am

the aerodrive T&Cs state the coverage is $5million for third party liability, and $150,000 for liability for the vehicle and recovery etc.
But they wrote:

We don’t offer a third party insurance. We only have the full cover which takes care of everything. It's either you buy the full cover or no cover at all.
So I asked them again:

So there is always a "full cover" included in the base rate? I can just bring the excess of $2500 down to $0 if I pay $25/day. If I don't pay this $25/day I will reliable up to $2500 even the damage is worth a million dollar, correct?
And they answered:

Our full cover is not included in the base rate.
So looks like they want extra money for their full cover, even with $2500 excess. Totally confusing for me.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aerodrive's "third party liability, and $150,000 for liability for the vehicle and recovery etc" is probably what they means as full cover.

In NZ third party insurance is that physical damage to your car is not covered, but if you hit another car that car is covered for damage caused by you. People with cheap cars, that have little value, often have 3rd party only (see the ami link above). Aerodrive would not accept 3rd party only, as that means their car is not insured for damage by you.

How does Aerodrive (with insurance, kms) compare with Hertz/Avis/Thrifty?
For a 2015/2016 car would expect all the rental car companies to be about the same cost for the same conditions/unlimited km/return to pick up location, etc.
Hertz, Avis, etc discount codes can reduces the cost 5%, 10% or ??%
The 2nd tier rental car companies are cheaper, as there car are worth $5,000 - $10,000 and not $25,0000 - $40,000 or more.

So looks like they want extra money for their full cover, even with $2500 excess.
Yes. That is normal, even with Hertz. Avis etc. You can pay more per day to reduce the excess

I landed at CHC a few hours ago and noticed these have a desk in the terminal https://www.ezicarrental.co.nz/ And Omega is worth a look

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:04 am

In NZ third party insurance is that physical damage to your car is not covered, but if you hit another car that car is covered for damage caused by you. People with cheap cars, that have little value, often have 3rd party only (see the ami link above).
Same like in germany

How does Aerodrive (with insurance, kms) compare with Hertz/Avis/Thrifty? For a 2015/2016 car would expect all the rental car companies to be about the same cost for the same conditions/unlimited km/return to pick up location, etc.
Aerodrive has a 10% Facebook discount coupon (FB01) which will bring a Corolla Sedan down to 421.20NZD for my dates (13 days in april).

Ezi Car Rental charge about 700NZD for a car with a simular age, other companies are more expensive. So we are talking about 300NZD I could save while booking with them.

If I click through aerodrive booking process on their website I see that there is a "Vehicle Damage Responsibility 2500" included in this rate and I could add a Excess insurance which they call "Full Cover - Zero Liability" for 21.74/day.

So I really don't understand why they wrote me that there is no insurance included in their base rate, their website show something different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.