Driving in New Zealand - driving on the left, speeding & parking fines

Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ*S
It sounds like aerodrive don't know what their own t&cs say. I'd avoid them till they sort out their customer service training.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:50 am

I asked them again:

I've just checked your T&C. A standard liability insurance with up to 5.000.000NZD coverage is always included in the standard rental rate which is calculated on your website, but with a excess of 2.500NZD, correct?
And they replied:

You are correct. you can also purchase our full cover which reduces liability to $0 for only $25-29/day depending on the vehicle type.
Sadly the vehicle I had in mind is sold out now. But maybe this information help someone else.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
read the entire thread. Wonderful advice. I think I am ready for the motor ways in NZ. What about the cities? Specifically Christchurch. I have one day in Christchurch after driving from Mount Cook. Should I return the car and just take buses and taxis for the few hours I have in Christchurch?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
read the entire thread. Wonderful advice. I think I am ready for the motor ways in NZ. What about the cities? Specifically Christchurch. I have one day in Christchurch after driving from Mount Cook. Should I return the car and just take buses and taxis for the few hours I have in Christchurch?
Keep the car since you already have it, Christchurch is easy enough to get around by car in my experience. Auckland, Wellington, and Queenstown are about the only places I'd spend much time without a car in New Zealand.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
3090km driven in two weeks. The most unusual challenge was one way lane bridges and at one such bridge on the way to Glaciers you need to share the bridge with a train!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:49 am

Thanks for the info. That's a relief. Given that we only have a few hours in Christchurch, car should be more efficient than bus unless parking is limited.

We are picking up a car on our arrive into Queenstown because our hotel is 10 KM from town. How is the traffic and parking situation in Queenstown? Should we wait to get a rental car and just rely on taxi (heard Uber is not yet in Queenstown) until we are ready to leave Queenstown?

In summary:
1. Stay on the left side.
2. Avoid driving at night through the mountainous area. Why drive at night at all when the views are so wonderful.
3. Watch for the drivers who did not get the message about the right turn law.
4. Watch for the speed limits. Pull over for the faster cars.
5. Pray to encounter the one way lane bridges to enhance my trip story. :-)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Thanks for the info. That's a relief. Given that we only have a few hours in Christchurch, car should be more efficient than bus unless parking is limited.

We are picking up a car on our arrive into Queenstown because our hotel is 10 KM from town. How is the traffic and parking situation in Queenstown? Should we wait to get a rental car and just rely on taxi (heard Uber is not yet in Queenstown) until we are ready to leave Queenstown?

In summary:
1. Stay on the left side.
2. Avoid driving at night through the mountainous area. Why drive at night at all when the views are so wonderful.
3. Watch for the drivers who did not get the message about the right turn law.
4. Watch for the speed limits. Pull over for the faster cars.
5. Pray to encounter the one way lane bridges to enhance my trip story. :-)
The centre of Queenstown can become congested, but not enough to put you off driving. Parking is busy on-street but I've never had more than a 5-minute search. There's also underground parking in one of the CBD streets (sorry can't remember the name).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrOscarh
The centre of Queenstown can become congested, but not enough to put you off driving. Parking is busy on-street but I've never had more than a 5-minute search. There's also underground parking in one of the CBD streets (sorry can't remember the name).
Is the underground parking safe enough for overnight parking? I have leave the car for one day in a garage while we go on the overnight cruise at Milford Sound.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Is the underground parking safe enough for overnight parking? I have leave the car for one day in a garage while we go on the overnight cruise at Milford Sound.
Should be fine, as would on-street. You could probably leave the doors open and key inside 😃. Not recommending that though!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
3090km driven in two weeks. The most unusual challenge was one way lane bridges and at one such bridge on the way to Glaciers you need to share the bridge with a train!
Completely agree on the one lane bridges ..Interesting challenge..
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Today is a good example of the need to have buffers in your plans rather than driving long distances every day. (Note this doesn't happen often but poor weather can sometimes close multiple highways simultaneously.)

The main road between Christchurch and Picton is closed for several months following last years earthquake. The alternate (much longer) route through Lewis Pass was closed for several hours. Also the roads between Nelson/Blenheim and the west coast were all closed. The road between Christchurch and the west coast is closed for a couple of days (perhaps 3?). The main roads along the west coast were also closed in several places. Together these closures account for a significant portion of the south island highways.

Most of these closures are very temporary - several hours to a couple of days. But they could cause problems with tight itineraries for some.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Today is a good example of the need to have buffers in your plans rather than driving long distances every day. (Note this doesn't happen often but poor weather can sometimes close multiple highways simultaneously.)

The main road between Christchurch and Picton is closed for several months following last years earthquake. The alternate (much longer) route through Lewis Pass was closed for several hours. Also the roads between Nelson/Blenheim and the west coast were all closed. The road between Christchurch and the west coast is closed for a couple of days (perhaps 3?). The main roads along the west coast were also closed in several places. Together these closures account for a significant portion of the south island highways.

Most of these closures are very temporary - several hours to a couple of days. But they could cause problems with tight itineraries for some.
Basically everything north of either Christchurch or Greymouth (as well as between Christchurch and Greymouth via Arthur's Pass) from what you're saying. The rail line over Arthur's is blocked as well, so anyone scheduled on that would also be stuck. Definitely need to give yourself a buffer day or two when driving around the South Island, as well as make sure to be aware that a last minute lodging reservation may be required at some points.

https://twitter.com/TransportChCh/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Basically everything north of either Christchurch or Greymouth (as well as between Christchurch and Greymouth via Arthur's Pass) from what you're saying. The rail line over Arthur's is blocked as well, so anyone scheduled on that would also be stuck. Definitely need to give yourself a buffer day or two when driving around the South Island, as well as make sure to be aware that a last minute lodging reservation may be required at some points.

https://twitter.com/TransportChCh/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Good think I checked this off the cuff. I have tickets booked on the TranzAlpine Christchurch to Greymouth for next week, however have not received any notification of the cancellation. Just checked Rail New Zealand website and yes, the train service is cancelled. Completely ruins our travel plans.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
is the road inland from christchurch to nelson open? We have fairly open plans in mid February but always good to know. What's the best source for road closures - what caused the the several hour closures?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theworld
Good think I checked this off the cuff. I have tickets booked on the TranzAlpine Christchurch to Greymouth for next week, however have not received any notification of the cancellation. Just checked Rail New Zealand website and yes, the train service is cancelled. Completely ruins our travel plans.
A good chance it will be running next week.
Slips over the track are not that uncommon, but this is more than usual by the photos in the www.thepress.co.nz

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Is the road inland from Christchurch to Nelson open? We have fairly open plans in mid February but always good to know. What's the best source for road closures - what caused the the several hour closures?
That is via the Lewis Pass. Understand that is open
Government web site http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/?layers=road-closures (is a clunky web site)
Canterbury http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regi...=road-closures
West Coast http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regi...,road-closures

The rail line is Arthur Pass area (but has rail tunnel)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 19, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.