Driving in New Zealand - driving on the left, speeding & parking fines

Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:37 am

I have been researching for my driving trip in NZ. The (official?) tolerance of above speed limit is a surprise. Not that I intend to test the tolerance, but out of curiosity, why is it there? We don't have anything like that in the US.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by getmethere
I have been researching for my driving trip in NZ. The (official?) tolerance of above speed limit is a surprise. Not that I intend to test the tolerance, but out of curiosity, why is it there? We don't have anything like that in the US.
We have it in the UK too. Over here it's to allow for differences in calibration between the car speedometer and the equipment the authorities use.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Of course travel times are faster when there are no other cars, buses, trucks, caravans, etc to slow you down.
This was the case wherever I was driving, regardless of the time of day. Just about all of the two-lane roads are pretty generous in allowing for passing...the only time I really encountered any kind of traffic that slowed me down was driving from Hobbiton towards Auckland.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Theres tolerance applied due to inaccuracy of the speed measuring equipment.. thats the 4kph that is currently in force. And then there is the unofficial tolerance of an extra 6kph that is nominally in force most of the year.

But the un-official tolerance is discretionary, the law is still 100kph, so if you give the cop a reason there is nothing stopping them from writing a ticket for 105 all year round. I don't think you'd have a legal leg to stand on if you tried to fight it in court. (but for NZD$80 why would you bother)
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:21 pm

If a cop nabs you at 111kph, 99 times out of 100 your own speedo is likely to be reading over 110kph so fair game. I bought my car brand new 3 months ago and I had Snapchat open (as the passenger obviously.....), swiped to the speed filter and with my speedo bang on 100 it was reading 95.6. Quite frustrating really, I would much prefer my car to go exactly what it says I'm going.

Car A could be going 99, Car B could be going 95, and both speedos read 100. 4kph is quite a big difference if you're on the motorway and potentially holding people up.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by b1m9t0
If a cop nabs you at 111kph, 99 times out of 100 your own speedo is likely to be reading over 110kph so fair game. I bought my car brand new 3 months ago and I had Snapchat open (as the passenger obviously.....), swiped to the speed filter and with my speedo bang on 100 it was reading 95.6. Quite frustrating really, I would much prefer my car to go exactly what it says I'm going.

Car A could be going 99, Car B could be going 95, and both speedos read 100. 4kph is quite a big difference if you're on the motorway and potentially holding people up.
Out of interest what makes you believe snapchat is the more accurate source of your speed?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:43 am

1. Every roadside speed indicator sign I drive past shows a several kph difference from what my speedo is reading. So I already knew it was out. My last car was only 1-2kph out.
2. It uses GPS.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:12 am

Got it. I'll give it some cushion, and keep at 90-95kph in a 100kph limit zone.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
This was the case wherever I was driving, regardless of the time of day. Just about all of the two-lane roads are pretty generous in allowing for passing...the only time I really encountered any kind of traffic that slowed me down was driving from Hobbiton towards Auckland.
You probably did not run into these guys

http://s9.postimg.cc/cfb5v1627/sheep1.jpg

http://s2.postimg.cc/sn9du2xwp/sheep2.jpg
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:18 pm

Wow - did not realize there could be that many sheep on the road! I saw several random one-offs where a sheep somehow was outside the fence, but only one ever had wandered onto the road.

The one thing I was very thankful I was paying attention for was that I saw 3-4 kiwis crossing the road. Know they are endangered, so hit the brakes and made sure they got to one side of the road or the other
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:16 am
formerly known as ravishah

We drove about 4,000k there in about 3 weeks. Main thing I would say is make sure you take the time to stop at the roadside pull-ins. You can get some fantastic views and shots - so keep your camera charged!

Not sure if you have anything like the 3 mobile deal we do in the UK but it gave us free data while in NZ so I just took a dashboard holder and used google maps for the whole time was perfectly fine. Do keep a paper map just in case you totally lose signal and get lost - but given there are so few roads its generally pretty easy to find your way or just ask someone. You can get a decent enough free one in the i-site's if you dont get one with the hire car.

Apart from that driving was pretty easy, try not to get too frustrated when you get stuck behind a camper van, otherwise you may end up trying to overtake in an unsafe area.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Got it. I'll give it some cushion, and keep at 90-95kph in a 100kph limit zone.
Please watch your mirrors and pull over when traffic starts banking up behind you at that speed.

Even if you mean a GPS measured 90-95 kph rather than a speedometer estimated 90-95kph you are still going to be going slower than a reasonable portion of the traffic. (I generally sit on a GPS indicated 105-110 on open road if conditions are suitable, even at that speed you are unlikely to be ticketed)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:58 pm

If it's your first time driving on a particular stretch of road, you should keep your speed in the 90-95km/h range. Let cars pass you if you see a lot of cars behind you.
Some of the drivers on the country roads drive those routes regularly, so obviously they will be more comfortable travelling at a higher speed - you don't need to feel pressured to travel that fast.

With regards to the speed tolerance - my advice is to follow your speedometer and travel at the speed limit.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:45 am

NZ Open GPS

I plan to bring my US Garmin GPS, and wonder if I should get the free NZ Open GPS map, or pay for one. Comments on the difference (other than $), and installation, etc.?

http://nzopengps.org/
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:55 pm

I plan to bring my US Garmin GPS, and wonder if I should get the free NZ Open GPS map, or pay for one. Comments on the difference (other than $), and installation, etc.?

http://nzopengps.org/
While I was using GPS the whole time I was in NZ, really the only time I think one would have been useful - as opposed to going really old-school and hauling around a Rand McNally atlas - was in Auckland. Especially true for South Island, where you really don't need one to get around, even in Christchurch (IMO).

In other words - the free GPS map should be more than fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.